ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Ben Howland hired by Mississppi State per ESPN.

fairgambit

Aug 20, 2010
Howland, 57, led the UCLA Bruins to three consecutive Final Four appearances from 2006 to 2008. He took UCLA to a first-place finish in the Pac-12 in 2012-13 but was fired after the season.

This post was edited on 3/23 6:56 PM by fairgambit

I only mentioned it because his name had come up by those who felt he would

be an upgrade. I don't know if anyone can win here, but it looks like we have Chambers for at least a couple more years and I'm OK with that.

This post was edited on 3/23 7:15 PM by fairgambit

Howland isn't PSU material.

wink.r191677.gif

I think his coaching style and personality are better suited to the Big East and the Big 10. He takes a disciplined and defensive approach to the game. I imagine he may have struggled on the recruiting trail and selling his system to the west coast players.

Whatever he says, this won't be his last stop. This guy wants back in the show and he wants to win a national title. I know they all do - but he was in the upper echelon of coaches and I'm sure he can't stand being out of that conversation.

This post was edited on 3/23 8:48 PM by fairfaxlion2

He was trying to take the UNLV job. and maybe settled for this one.

It's actually a good hire for the other MSU, IMO.

This offseason is going to be interesting. If Texas and IU open up, and they might and maybe even probably will, as well as a few other surprises(who knows if Calipari will finally be tempted enough again, it could be crazy.).

Gregg Marshall is going to get an opportunity to become one of the top 5 highest paid coaches in the game. Signs point to him staying but we will see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT