ADVERTISEMENT

fc Hack to the AAF draft...first game 2/9/2019

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
ut are these guys good enough to play football, at a high enough level that fans will want to watch? The quarterbacks who have already been announced as joining the AAF include Aaron Murray, Christian Hackenberg and Scott Tolzien. Ebersol isn’t claiming the quality of play can compete with the NFL, but he does insist that the television product will be an impressive presentation, starting with that first game on February 9.

Reactions: step.eng69
ut are these guys good enough to play football, at a high enough level that fans will want to watch? The quarterbacks who have already been announced as joining the AAF include Aaron Murray, Christian Hackenberg and Scott Tolzien. Ebersol isn’t claiming the quality of play can compete with the NFL, but he does insist that the television product will be an impressive presentation, starting with that first game on February 9.

What is the over/under on # seasons before it folds?

A member of the PSU Athletic Department left a few months ago to go run one of the teams, and I’m told that he has a two year, fully guaranteed contract. So, I’ll be very surprised if the league is one and done.

Reactions: step.eng69
Anybody draft Barrett? He got released again.

I'm not saying the AAF or XFL will be successful but the plan for the AAF seems solid. Will people go to games? That's the real question. It runs from February from April in "warmer" cities so that should definitely help. The coaches seem legit (Mike Riley, Singletary, Childress, Spurrier, Erickson, Martz, Neuheiser and Tim Lewis) so it might come down to the talent they can attract. Definitely an opportunity for Hack. it may or may not work but he's still incredibly young. Worth the shot.

Ehhh.... Until they get better tv streaming options I doubt the league lasts a year. Currently 1 game a week will be shown on CBS sports network - and the other games will have to be watched via a free app. That app will most likely have the usual startup problems and not work for several weeks on end. Add in the fact that attendance at NFL games is declining on a yearly basis, and I have to wonder who would actually attend these games, let alone purchase season tickets? I mean for pete's sake - they're putting a team in San freaking Diego - who just lost an NFL team and one of the major factors was lack of fan support.

Ehhh.... Until they get better tv streaming options I doubt the league lasts a year. Currently 1 game a week will be shown on CBS sports network - and the other games will have to be watched via a free app. That app will most likely have the usual startup problems and not work for several weeks on end. Add in the fact that attendance at NFL games is declining on a yearly basis, and I have to wonder who would actually attend these games, let alone purchase season tickets? I mean for pete's sake - they're putting a team in San freaking Diego - who just lost an NFL team and one of the major factors was lack of fan support.
People like me that live in cities without NFL teams might give it a try. I live in Orlando and I might think about going to a game if there’s nothing else to do and tickets are cheap. Especially if any Penn Staters are on the team.

Peter Thiel, Peter Chernin, and Keith Rabois, among others. Money is there, but how committed are the investors?
That is the question- you have to figure they have a plan that includes losing money for some period of time before making any- but what happens when/if they fall behind the plan- do they stick with it? Previous attempts at a new league have all failed, so you have to wonder what they think is different this time.

The USFL might have worked if they hadn't gotten greedy.

I'd say he and not they in terms of greed, but the he in question has an ego equivalent to many men so I guess they is accurate in this case. Small Potatoes remains one of my favorite 30 for 30's. It really is a shame John Bassett died so young and was not around to fight to keep the league in the spring. If he had been, the USFL certainly could have continued on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT