ADVERTISEMENT

FC OT I never thought I'd say this but, Shady McCoy makes a lot of sense about Kap

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
situation.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...to-do-with-protest-a-lot-to-do-with-his-play/

Bills running back LeSean McCoy thinks Colin Kaepernick‘s current unemployment is more nuanced than either that he’s being blackballed, or that he’s not good enough.

McCoy says teams may not like Kaepernick because of his national anthem protest, but McCoy believes a bigger issue is that teams don’t think Kaepernick is a good enough quarterback to be worth bringing a distraction to the team.

“That may have something to do with but I think it also has a lot to do with his play,” McCoy said. “I’m sure a lot of teams wouldn’t want him as their starting quarterback. Then it’s the chaos that comes with it. It’s a lot. A team’s trying to win and not have a distraction on a team. As a player, there’s certain players that can be on a team with big distractions, and other players, they’re not good enough that it’s worth it. I think his situation is, not good enough to have on a team with all the attention that comes along with it. I’m sure if a guy like [Tom] Brady or a guy like — whoever is your favorite player, Odell Beckham or a guy like that — you’ll deal with that attention and play him. With certain guys, it’s not worth it.”

McCoy seems to think a lot of the commentary surrounding Kaepernick has come from people whose opinions aren’t worth much.

“I think the whole Kaepernick situation, in this country you can believe what you want, freedom of speech,” McCoy said. “I think maybe they could choose a better platform to state their beliefs. One thing I’ve learned about is that people in America, they’re followers. There’s some people that if you ask about these topics, they’ll say what they heard, not what they know.”

As the NFL faces increased criticism for Kaepernick’s continued unemployment, McCoy doesn’t sound particularly concerned.

Share this:

situation.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...to-do-with-protest-a-lot-to-do-with-his-play/

Bills running back LeSean McCoy thinks Colin Kaepernick‘s current unemployment is more nuanced than either that he’s being blackballed, or that he’s not good enough.

McCoy says teams may not like Kaepernick because of his national anthem protest, but McCoy believes a bigger issue is that teams don’t think Kaepernick is a good enough quarterback to be worth bringing a distraction to the team.

“That may have something to do with but I think it also has a lot to do with his play,” McCoy said. “I’m sure a lot of teams wouldn’t want him as their starting quarterback. Then it’s the chaos that comes with it. It’s a lot. A team’s trying to win and not have a distraction on a team. As a player, there’s certain players that can be on a team with big distractions, and other players, they’re not good enough that it’s worth it. I think his situation is, not good enough to have on a team with all the attention that comes along with it. I’m sure if a guy like [Tom] Brady or a guy like — whoever is your favorite player, Odell Beckham or a guy like that — you’ll deal with that attention and play him. With certain guys, it’s not worth it.”

McCoy seems to think a lot of the commentary surrounding Kaepernick has come from people whose opinions aren’t worth much.

“I think the whole Kaepernick situation, in this country you can believe what you want, freedom of speech,” McCoy said. “I think maybe they could choose a better platform to state their beliefs. One thing I’ve learned about is that people in America, they’re followers. There’s some people that if you ask about these topics, they’ll say what they heard, not what they know.”

As the NFL faces increased criticism for Kaepernick’s continued unemployment, McCoy doesn’t sound particularly concerned.

Share this:

This rings particularly true. As many of us have been witness to the last six years or so.

situation.

Share this:

I feel like we live through these signing controversies every year. Just a different topic.

Ray Rice
Michael Sam

LdN

And yet, Kapernick's teammates voted him for the Len Eshmont Award - in the same year he was actively protesting.

This year, he has said he is not going to protest, so unless there are other issues (and there may be), the posit that he is a distraction to his team is simply not supported by.....the team he was with when he was protesting.

But, I cannot imagine he is any worse than some of the back ups that are there.

And yet, Kapernick's teammates voted him for the Len Eshmont Award - in the same year he was actively protesting.

This year, he has said he is not going to protest, so unless there are other issues (and there may be), the posit that he is a distraction to his team is simply not supported by.....the team he was with when he was protesting.

He's better than Landry Jones right now.

The Eshmont Award is for courageousness. Kap may or may not be courageous but that is not to say that his situation wasn't a distraction.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
He's better than Landry Jones right now.
here's the problem, and IMO what Shady is trying to say.
1) will he play for Landry Jones money?
2) will he be happy being #2 behind Ben?
3) will the press be happy with him #2 behind Ben, and when I say the press I mean Stephen A Smith, Micheal Smith (sp?) Mike Wilbon, Harry Edwards etc
4) when Ben throws an incomplete pass or god forbid and INT, how long will it take those in #3 above to question everything the Steelers do?

This is Kap's problem. On the risk v reward graph, is in the lower right.

situation.

Share this:

In 2014 he signed a 7 Year Deal worth $126 million

He has had 3 years of declining production

Kaepernick opted out of his SF deal

It appears to me if I'm running Team with the sole focus of winning a Super Bowl while also balancing a salary cap...

Kap just does not make a lot of sense from a pure business standpoint.

The protest issue may be a distraction however the BIGGER issue would be...How much would I have to pay this guy as a " back up" QB?

And what Team best fits his style of play ? Has the Cap room ?

Everyone protests something these days...heck..Even USC's Mascot is under fire...LOL...

here's the problem, and IMO what Shady is trying to say.
1) will he play for Landry Jones money?
2) will he be happy being #2 behind Ben?
3) will the press be happy with him #2 behind Ben, and when I say the press I mean Stephen A Smith, Micheal Smith (sp?) Mike Wilbon, Harry Edwards etc
4) when Ben throws an incomplete pass or god forbid and INT, how long will it take those in #3 above to question everything the Steelers do?

This is Kap's problem. On the risk v reward graph, is in the lower right.

The Steelers could explain to Kap, well, the league itself could easily explain to Kap that being #2 behind Ben means you'll start at least 3 games during the regular season, maybe more. I don't know if that affects a thing, maybe it doesn't, but being a backup QB in PIttsburgh isn't like being a backup QB in most other franchises. Ben gets hurt every year because of how he plays and now the cumulative effect of his career added in.

The Steelers could explain to Kap, well, the league itself could easily explain to Kap that being #2 behind Ben means you'll start at least 3 games during the regular season, maybe more. I don't know if that affects a thing, maybe it doesn't, but being a backup QB in PIttsburgh isn't like being a backup QB in most other franchises. Ben gets hurt every year because of how he plays and now the cumulative effect of his career added in.
IMO the press won't be satisfied with 3 games. Kapin the presses eyes needs to be a full time starter. And that's the problem

Correct, the problem is he will NOT accept "back up" money.
Or at least he wouldn't when more back-up opportunities would have been available to him.

There's the distraction, or course. There's also his focus on being a starter and wanting starter money at his next team for a substantial period of time. Now he may take a backup job and may even take backup money. He could have been a starter for sure, but those didn't pan out and theres's not many backup opportunities.

Shady didn't break any new ground on this situation with what he said.

Amen.

no team wants idiot castro fellater colin commienick on the roster, not knowing when is gonna be the next time he's going to make some incredibly stupid far left remark that will piss off a chunk of the fanbase and then defend it with remarks that cast any critics as stupid and dishonest (as he did after his castro love was criticized), pissing off even more of the fanbase.

it's real simple, he doesn't have a job because no owner trusts bad zone-read QB commienick (zone-read QBs are about the coldest commodity in the NFL right now, RGIII doesnt have a job either because he's a zone-read QB) not to hurt their business with his stupidity and arrogance.

Last edited:

I disagree with your premise. The distraction is the media and fan backlash. He is damaged goods. He has alienated too many NFL customers. He has not apologized.
Michael Vick, conversely, apologized profusely and except for a small number of people, he was largely given a shot at redemption. If Kaepernick came out and said "I'm Sorry. The NFL was not the venue to protest. I shouldn't have done it and I won't do it again," he'd probably get another shot.

Until then, it's a non-starter. He's not good enough for his benefit to exceed the (potential) cost to an NFL team.

"...if you ask about these topics, they’ll say what they heard, not what they know.”

Very profound observation from a source not traditionally known for such. He's right that we are - for the most part - a country of sheep.

Here's the part that gets missed in a lot of the discussions:
He opted out.
He had a job. He quit the job because he (or his agent) thought he could get a better job. He did this to himself.
He overestimated his value.
He underestimated the damage he did to his own reputation.
Now he believes he is entitled to something.
I've got no spare tears to shed for him.

He opted out.
He had a job. He quit the job because he (or his agent) thought he could get a better job. He did this to himself.
-----
But wait, he is the victim here. Playing victim is the modern equivalence of sainthood. It is blasphemy to question one's victimhood....

Reactions: Safety Blitz
He opted out.

Apparently his activist girlfriend had a lot to do with him opting out. Look her up... real piece of work.

Apparently his activist girlfriend had a lot to do with him opting out. Look her up... real piece of work.

hell yeah she is!
kaepernick-nessa.jpg

Kaepernick is better than a lot of starters in the NFL, let alone backups.

It quite honestly doesn't matter what his teammates think of him. It's a very divisive issue. Kaepernick is 100% free to do whatever he wants with regards to the national anthem. Kaepernick is not free to choose whether owners want to sign him because of this.

Think about it this way: If you sit-in on your boss's office or otherwise protest a decision in some form, you're free to do so. However it doesn't mean you're coming into work tomorrow (or ever again).

Furthermore Kaepernick has done absolutely nothing to help himself with this. He's not out there talking about wanting to play football, he's not out there explaining the ins & outs of what he did--so the public backlash is still there among a large segment of NFL fans. Have the balls to get out there and spread your message if you really want to play football. Sending out cryptic tweets isn't helping.

McCoy is 100% right. Kaepernick is better than a lot of QBs who are starting, by far. However owners don't want him because of the "other stuff". If Tom Brady did this and was a free agent, he would've been signed about 30 seconds after becoming a free agent.

It's ludicrous to say that Kaepernick is unemployed because he's not a good quarterback. Kaepernick is not "that" good, so he's in a situation where teams don't want him because his talent simply doesn't outweigh the backlash.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT