ADVERTISEMENT

FC: The Athletic's 'Top 12 Best Head Coaching Jobs in College Football'.....

The best coaching jobs are typically over the best football programs as a whole, which is what the original list stated. Winning national championships makes the head coaching jobs that much better and continues to elevate the football program as a whole. But yea let’s keep pounding our chests with our consistent top 20 finishes.

I attended the Rose Bowl in 2009 and I had multiple USC fans tell me that Penn State had not been relevant since the 80’s. So yes there are people in other parts of the country that think Penn State football is an afterthought.
But they knew who we were….how did they know that if we didn’t have national prominence? And often times taking over at a school shortly after they won a NC makes it a worse job…hello Texas, USC, FSU, Miami…and on and on. You have no time to build your program the way you want to and expectations are often unrealistic. There’s a lot more to making somewhere an attractive place to coach than how recently they won a NC. And if we can’t pound our chest about consistent top 20 finishes, how about top 10 finishes, double digit win seasons, NY6 bowls, and 42 wins in four years? Is that enough? How about the fact that PSU has as many or more wins in the last five years as half the teams on your list? Or is ancient history more important than previous results?

The best coaching jobs are typically over the best football programs as a whole, which is what the original list stated. Winning national championships makes the head coaching jobs that much better and continues to elevate the football program as a whole. But yea let’s keep pounding our chests with our consistent top 20 finishes.

I attended the Rose Bowl in 2009 and I had multiple USC fans tell me that Penn State had not been relevant since the 80’s. So yes there are people in other parts of the country that think Penn State football is an afterthought.

Oh, ok. Well you didn't say that a couple of random USC fans in 2009 said that Penn State hasn't been relevant since the 80s. That changes everything. You win.

I really dont think they followed their own criteria that well. Which one doesnt Penn St have a big check mark next to. Lifestyle? Whatever that means. Admin buyin? Its hazy as it is for at least half those schools? Cool factor? Agree shouldve stopped reading. You know whats cool? Winning

Oh, ok. Well you didn't say that a couple of random USC fans in 2009 said that Penn State hasn't been relevant since the 80s. That changes everything. You win.
And without cheating, USC hasn’t been relevant since the 70’s….that’s what I would have said, but that’s me.

But they knew who we were….how did they know that if we didn’t have national prominence? And often times taking over at a school shortly after they won a NC makes it a worse job…hello Texas, USC, FSU, Miami…and on and on. You have no time to build your program the way you want to and expectations are often unrealistic. There’s a lot more to making somewhere an attractive place to coach than how recently they won a NC. And if we can’t pound our chest about consistent top 20 finishes, how about top 10 finishes, double digit win seasons, NY6 bowls, and 42 wins in four years? Is that enough? How about the fact that PSU has as many or more wins in the last five years as half the teams on your list? Or is ancient history more important than previous results?
Actually its 46 wins in five years, or 9 wins per season over the last 5 years which is less than several teams on The Athletic's list. Did you forget to include last year's results or did you conveniently leave last year's results (i.e. facts) out to fit your agenda? Don't you remember that your beloved Coach Franklin did not have the team ready physically and mentally last year?

Actually its 46 wins in five years, or 9 wins per season over the last 5 years which is less than several teams on The Athletic's list. Did you forget to include last year's results or did you conveniently leave last year's results (i.e. facts) out to fit your agenda? Don't you remember that your beloved Coach Franklin did not have the team ready physically and mentally last year?
Counting last year they still have the same number of wins as LSU and more wins than five teams on your list, so no, I didn’t leave out last year. It’s the same or more than half the teams, exactly like I said in my post.

My opinion …

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Georgia
5. Notre Dame
6. Oklahoma

7. LSU
8. Penn State
9. Texas
10. Texas AM
11. Oregon
12. USC
13. Michigan
14. Florida

Big dropoff between the top 6 and everyone else, IMO.

Last edited:
Counting last year they still have the same number of wins as LSU and more wins than five teams on your list, so no, I didn’t leave out last year. It’s the same or more than half the teams, exactly like I said in my post.
FACTS!

disclaimer: dubs opinions are also facts, but yours are not.

Reactions: AWS1022
From a coaches perspective, the best job in America is the one that pays the most. If Bowling Green offered 20 million/year, there isn't a coach in the world that wouldn't take that job. Money talks, nobody walks. Yes, it is cynical. However, my opinion is that it isn't cynical if it's true.

ADVERTISEMENT