ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Diaz Defense vs. Central Michigan

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
PSU D vs. CMU FILM STUDY

See Link. Focused on the offense for the first 3 weeks, so we turned our eye to the other side of the ball. Couple things that have stood out to us in this game and all 4 games, really. Unlike Yurcich, what we thought we were getting in Diaz - blitz-happy, high-risk high-reward aggressive man coverage, "break serve" as often as possible by selling out to generate takeaways. Second, anyone else surprised how painless the learning curve has been installing this new system? IDK whether that's a credit to Diaz, credit to the players, or both.

I wonder if at some point, they tighten some of the corners on those sets where they are giving 10 yard cushions. I don't mean go press across the board, but perhaps with enough of this on film, you bring King up tight one play and maybe Porter on another.

Of course, perhaps the cushion is more about hurrying the throws and forces the QB to be accurate and Diaz doesn't think we need to add any further risk to the play by being up close and getting beat on a double move.

Either that, Dave, or they don't have the "droppers" bluff like they're coming...giving them more time to get depth underneath bu just dropping at the snap, which would let you keep the corners where they are.

Reactions: lazydave841
Either that, Dave, or they don't have the "droppers" bluff like they're coming...giving them more time to get depth underneath bu just dropping at the snap, which would let you keep the corners where they are.

Did it seem that the DEs were dropping into zones more vs CMU than the other games or was that just me? Particularly Issac and DDS, it seemed that they had a spot (5-10 yards off the line, near the sideline, an outer 1/3) and the thing I kept seeing in my head is that they are eventually going to drop back into the seam and pick off those underneath routes eventually.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT