ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Moving Abdul Carter from LB to DE

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
ABDUL CARTER DE FILM STUDY

See link above. Made sense to address and examine the biggest off-season news...and thankfully Carter had 3-4 dozen on-ball pass rush reps last season to give us a glimpse of WHY this move was made (freak athlete, tremendous initial post-snap speed, rare bend to turn and close) and how sharp the learning curve will be and what areas need to be smoothed out this spring and summer -- timing, technique, developing a catalog of moves instead of just trying to outrace everyone to the edge.

ABDUL CARTER DE FILM STUDY

See link above. Made sense to address and examine the biggest off-season news...and thankfully Carter had 3-4 dozen on-ball pass rush reps last season to give us a glimpse of WHY this move was made (freak athlete, tremendous initial post-snap speed, rare bend to turn and close) and how sharp the learning curve will be and what areas need to be smoothed out this spring and summer -- timing, technique, developing a catalog of moves instead of just trying to outrace everyone to the edge.
I believe his biggest challenge will be maintaining disciple with edge assignments.

It’s a lot more physical and needs to bulk up.
The PSU roster has him at 250 lbs. Chop came in at 254 in the combine. Both at 6-3. So I agree he'll have to adjust to a more physical position. So if you mean "bulk up" is getting stronger, I agree. Bu the carries the weight and is plenty fast. I am not sure about the quicks as he'll be engaged by an OT on almost every play right off the snap. Whereas at LB, he has a little room to move and maneuver.

I suspect this move has to do, at least in part, to Carter's NFL draft. He'll get paid a lot more money in the NFL as an "Edge" than he will as an OLB.

Reactions: CaliLION79
What chop was at Maryland and what he became at Penn State gives me faith this is gonna work out. My biggest question mark is how he's gonna hold vs the run when teams target him? Pass rush he'll be above average at worst just getting by on speed and athleticism alone. Good video btw

What chop was at Maryland and what he became at Penn State gives me faith this is gonna work out. My biggest question mark is how he's gonna hold vs the run when teams target him? Pass rush he'll be above average at worst just getting by on speed and athleticism alone. Good video btw
Good point. Mich will run right at him as they love off tackle runs with pulling linemen leading the way.

Good point. Mich will run right at him as they love off tackle runs with pulling linemen leading the way.

I think Tom Allen will scheme different for Michigan than Manny did. He won't sit in a strict base look and let them overload the LoS with an extra big or 2 vs us not going bigger.

At the end of the day, Carter is probably more disruptive as a rusher than he is stout vs run/pass at LB. I think that is the key to it all.

It’s a lot more physical and needs to bulk up.
I’ve always thought that he looks small compared to an Arrington or Parsons. By saying that, I’m not saying that he isn’t a productive player. I’m just saying that if he wants to play a rover position like Parsons, he probably does need to add bulk without sacrificing athleticism, which sometimes is hard to do.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I’ve always thought that he looks small compared to an Arrington or Parsons. By saying that, I’m not saying that he isn’t a productive player. I’m just saying that if he wants to play a rover position like Parsons, he probably does need to add bulk without sacrificing athleticism, which sometimes is hard to do.
I am surprised he is 250 as he looks closer to 235-240.

The PSU roster has him at 250 lbs. Chop came in at 254 in the combine. Both at 6-3. So I agree he'll have to adjust to a more physical position. So if you mean "bulk up" is getting stronger, I agree. Bu the carries the weight and is plenty fast. I am not sure about the quicks as he'll be engaged by an OT on almost every play right off the snap. Whereas at LB, he has a little room to move and maneuver.

I suspect this move has to do, at least in part, to Carter's NFL draft. He'll get paid a lot more money in the NFL as an "Edge" than he will as an OLB.
Being at 254 will hurt Chop in the draft. Methinks most edge rushers are 20-30 lbs bigger.

…. Just looked and Parsons is only 245 but he plays a hybrid all over the field. Boss 265, Garret 270

Being at 254 will hurt Chop in the draft. Methinks most edge rushers are 20-30 lbs bigger.

…. Just looked and Parsons is only 245 but he plays a hybrid all over the field. Boss 265, Garret 270
Yep..Maxx Crosby is 255.

I agree, he'll need to gain some weight but that shouldn't be a massive problem. Maybe 10 lbs. He may have optimized for LB and tried to keep his weight down. IDK. I actually think it works better for PSU. We've been recruiting the heck out of LBer so am hopeful we have the depth there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT