ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - PSU Backup OL vs. Indiana

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
PSU OLINE FILM STUDY

See Link. Codutti focuses much of his attention on Nelson and Shelton, the left side of the line. Yes, the opponent is who it is, but considering PSU was forced to plug in a 3rd string guard and a true freshman for all but one play this game, Trautwein deserves some credit that this wasn't a total bleepshow. Even if Scruggs and Olu both leave after this season, the o-line situation still seems solid for 2023..."seems" being the key word, obviously.

It sure was encouraging that Shelton played very well at left OT, as obviously with Fashanu getting so much love from NFL player evaluators it seems unlikely that he will return for 2023. And with the depth that Trautwein has developed in the interior of the OL, and with Nourzad coming back for 2023, "solid" seems an appropriate initial projection.

But to get to the next level of OL performance the PSU OL needs at least one more above average OT. There was recent talk of Wallace playing somewhat better, and the combo of Wallace and Effner being adequate, but right OT seems to still be a weakness. With Wallace and Effner being 5th an 6th year players for 2023, can either realistically take the needed step forward to become an above average OT in both run and pass blocking? Seems like wishful thinking, but maybe Trautwein still has something to give those two. But Franklin and Trautwein need to get more OT talent in the pipeline, developing to step in and play well. Maybe JB Nelson moves to OT, where he played when he was younger. Could Christ take a big step forward this off season. Trautwein has lots of work to do this off season.

I'm hoping that Tengwall moves to OT for 2023. Hopefully he is fully recovered from his surgery before Spring practice. But so far Trautwein and Franklin seem to want him to anchor the OL at left guard....... even though the options inside seem to be numerous - Wormley, Dawkins, Achumba, Scruggs (if he returns), Nelson (if he stays at Guard), Loane, and the two top incoming Guard commits that project to be ready to play early in their PSU careers.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that Tengwall moves to OT for 2023. Hopefully he is fully recovered from his surgery before Spring practice. But so far Trautwein and Franklin seem to want him to anchor the OL at left guard....... even though the options inside seem to be numerous - Wormley, Dawkins, Achumba, Scruggs (if he returns), Nelson (if he stays at Guard), Loane, and the two top incoming Guard commits that project to be ready to play early in their PSU careers.
Jven Williams looks like a very good OT prospect. Good enough to play as a true freshman? Not many are.

Reactions: GregInPitt
What surprised me most was that, even though the two left side starters were out, most of the running plays were to the left. Showed a lot of confidence in those two guys. Or that side of the IU line is really bad.

Probably a bit of both.

Reactions: Gitzit
What surprised me most was that, even though the two left side starters were out, most of the running plays were to the left. Showed a lot of confidence in those two guys. Or that side of the IU line is really bad.

Probably a bit of both.
Regarding Indiana being bad, they are giving up 3.6 ypc. That's 6th in the conference. So not terrible.

For reference, PSU's defense is giving up 3.8 ypc.

So while I don't think IU has a great defense, I don't think our OL performance (at least in terms of run blocking) can be explained purely by "IU being bad".

Source: https://bigten.org/stats.aspx?path=football&year=2022

Regarding Indiana being bad, they are giving up 3.6 ypc. That's 6th in the conference. So not terrible.

So while I don't think IU has a great defense, I don't think our OL performance (at least in terms of run blocking) can be explained purely by "IU being bad".

Try reading again. I didn’t say IU run defense was bad. I said that we consistently ran to the left despite having two starters out on that side of the line and was surmising one possible reason was that side of their defense was the weakest side.

Try reading again. I didn’t say IU run defense was bad. I said that we consistently ran to the left despite having two starters out on that side of the line and was surmising one possible reason was that side of their defense was the weakest side.

Yes he does. Hope he enrolls in January. But he is reportedly eventually to end up inside. Maybe he does play OT due to the lack of talent there.....
I also saw that he was projected at guard. You may be right that he starts at tackle though because we have better depth already inside.

Reactions: GregInPitt

Probably a bit of both.

If you go back and watch a lot of Singletons short gains they usually get blew up on the right side more than the left.

OL is much better this year than last, but that's more of an indication of how bad they were last year compared to this year.

As much as we would like to see a pure youth movement, the staff isn't going to play 4 freshman if they can help it.

ADVERTISEMENT