ADVERTISEMENT

Fleeing the mat?

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
While we're at it maybe someone can explain to me this one that gets me fired up all the time.

I see obvious fleeing the mat scenarios in every dual, many times overt lunges out of bounds to prevent an advantage or points from the opponent with no call from the ref.

How many inferior wrestlers work to the edge in neutral as a defensive tactic and as soon as there is a single leg attempt they either lunge or frog kick out of bounds to get saved.

Or when the bottom guy stands and the top guy forces him out from behind to avoid giving up the escape.

Then you have one of the worst of that scenario called when vs Ohio State Verk was on top vs Jordan with 18 seconds to go tied 8-8, he got hit with the stall to lose the match. One can debate the point, but you see that sequence in 30% of the matches in every dual and it's very infrequently called. I would have been ok with that call if refs call it in every match consistently, not to mention in the closing seconds of a tied match.

I also hate when an official overtly determines the outcome of a match.

Go to the 10 minute mark of this one.

I expect some let's go the freestyle push out, which is an option, but I would rather just have the refs penalize the obvious fleeing scenarios consistently.

Last edited:
Reactions: CropDuster507
Got me again
My sense of humor may be childish and obnoxious, but at least it’s consistent.

In all seriousness, though, fleeing the May is horribly under-called. Minnesota vs Illinois 184 pound match on Saturday is another great example although probably hard to find. Salazar was pulling Connell back into the mat by his ankle while Connell was clearly reaching for the gym floor off the mat.

In all seriousness, though, fleeing the May is horribly under-called. Minnesota vs Illinois 184 pound match on Saturday is another great example although probably hard to find. Salazar was pulling Connell back into the mat by his ankle while Connell was clearly reaching for the gym floor off the mat.
Are you suggesting we get it done in April or can we wait till June?:cool:

Don't know if it was intentional, but you got one in this post also. May instead of mat.

Reaching for the wooden floor should be an automatic fleeing penalty point. So should grabbing the mat to avoid being pulled in if that happens.

I thought crawling out of bounds was a fleeing call, but maybe I'm wrong there.

Reactions: LongJakk
That match is why I had false hopes about Verkleeren's potential from 2019 onward and why I don't ever put much stock in close losses anymore.

Reactions: Ski
I often find that guys named Matt are quite scary, that is why I flee from them
Justified.

Penn-State.jpg

Like it or not, the better wrestler and/or home team guy are going to get the benefit of the doubt in most cases. I don’t like the current way the sport is officiated- “sophisticated stalling” is what I’m seeing in a lot of matches where a DQ should happen.

Like it or not, the better wrestler and/or home team guy are going to get the benefit of the doubt in most cases. I don’t like the current way the sport is officiated- “sophisticated stalling” is what I’m seeing in a lot of matches where a DQ should happen.
Randy Lewis won a match once where he scored 15 or 17 points and nearly got DQed for stalling.

I wish they would call stalling as a routine. Problem is different perceptions of what stalling is. Fans always want stalling called, on the other guy.

Randy Lewis won a match once where he scored 15 or 17 points and nearly got DQed for stalling.

I wish they would call stalling as a routine. Problem is different perceptions of what stalling is. Fans always want stalling called, on the other guy.
I agree with you. Refs have gotten away from calling stalling. Top guy is supposed to look to improve for back turn. Anymore the refs just allow top guy to keep bottom guy down without any intentions of a turn.
We as fans can be upset about it but I remember in early 1980s top guy could lock his legs around waist with figure 4 and crank on arm and head. If kid was tough on bottom it was the most boring match you ever saw. If bottom guy got to his feet they would call potentially dangerous because the guy on his back was off the mat.

I would have hit several of our guys for stalling on against Iowa. Beau for sure. Very likely others but I'd have to go back and watch again.

In fact, based on how quiet it was much of the evening, I would have probably called stalling a lot more. I don't expect 7 minutes of exciting wrestling, but I also don't expect 16k to be quiet that often. Many of the matches were intense. However they were also void of much action. Iowa wrestled defensively, which was expected. But many of our guys did nothing to push for calls or push for Iowa to make a mistake and were happy to play along.

Reactions: Ski and 82bordeaux
At around 1:40 to go in 3rd of Kirkvliet/Parris, Kirkvliet is the aggressor and attempts a single. As Parris defends they both pivot and Kirk ends up with back to circle. Kirkvliet takes a step back and gets the stall call. Extremely irritating that Kirk, clearly the the aggressor in this sequence, gets hit for stalling.

Reactions: Ski and nitlion6
How many inferior wrestlers work to the edge in neutral as a defensive tactic and as soon as there is a single leg attempt they either lunge or frog kick out of bounds to get saved.
Trent Hidlay is wondering why any fool would actually wrestle in the circle and need to flee the mat.

ADVERTISEMENT