ADVERTISEMENT

For wrestling fans - Info on PSU in NLWC Open

T J

May 29, 2001
https://mobile.twitter.com/pennstateWREST

Hope that link will help some fans get a feel for how Penn State's attached and unattached wrestlers are doing.

So far, Nittany Lions have had some strong showings in the early round.

Pin and tech falls. Looks like the PSU wrestlers are on fire, as point scoring machines.

No live audio or video for the Nittsny Lion Wrestling Open.

Any updates from fans watching the matches are welcome.

PSU takes the early lead with very aggressive wrestling.

These will change quickly with multiple mats running at the same time.

1 PSU 25
2 Navy 14
3 West VA 13.5
4 Rutg 11

Others competing, in no particular order, include tOSU, Missouri, Cornell, Lock Haven, Lehigh, MD, NCST, Army, Penn, VA, VT

And many others.

Over 300 wrestlers competing, IIRC.

Attached are used to determine the PSU Team score. The number who can wrestle as attached are limited.

Unattached are other members of the team, who are getting the same wrestling experience, but their results will not count for their team results.

Attached are used to determine the PSU Team score. The number who can wrestle as attached are limited.

Unattached are other members of the team, who are getting the same wrestling experience, but their results will not count for their team results.

Thanks, T J. Much appreciated. I didn't realize that redshirts could compete.

Thanks, T J. Much appreciated. I didn't realize that redshirts could compete.

Welcome BobPSU92.

Some current PSU starters were red shirts last season. They did very well wrestling in open tourneys like this, wrestling unattached. Open tourneys are a way they can get great experience during their redshirt years.

Plus last year, fans could see that we had some really good wrestlers like Nolf and Nickal who were ready to step in this season and perform at a high level.

In some ways these open tourneys are like the Blue White Game, but for wrestling. We get to see how hard working members of the team can perform outside of practice.

From Twitter coverage:

Okay, an IMPORTANT REMINDER, we have some non-collegiate wrestlers here today, our results against them DO NOT COUNT...keep that in mind :)
Example: PSU's Zain Retherford pinned his guy in the first match.

But, his opponent is not in college.
Non-collegiate matches aren't scored for team or individual totals.
So, Zain's record is still 0-0.
PSU got no points for ZPain's pin.

Just FYI, to head off some confusion.

PSU wrestlers are off to great starts, with lots of bonus points wins, both attached and unattached.

https://mobile.twitter.com/pennstateWREST

Hope that link will help some fans get a feel for how Penn State's attached and unattached wrestlers are doing.

So far, Nittany Lions have had some strong showings in the early round.

Pin and tech falls. Looks like the PSU wrestlers are on fire, as point scoring machines.

No live audio or video for the Nittsny Lion Wrestling Open.

Any updates from fans watching the matches are welcome.

Anybody know what time the afternoon session of the NLWC Open starts?

Why in the HECK are we wrestling our starters in the NLO?? I mean they are wrestling non-collegiate wrestlers with the potential for injuries?? I don't get it!

Why in the HECK are we wrestling our starters in the NLO?? I mean they are wrestling non-collegiate wrestlers with the potential for injuries?? I don't get it!

These Opens are very good for getting experience wrestling multiple times in tournament format. Helps before the Big Ten and NCAA Championships.

They get exposed to lots more wrestlers outside of the conference. Can't control who signs up. Most open wrestlers are from other colleges. Overall, it's good for the wrestlers and for fan support.

Plus, it's our Open event. So proceeds help to support the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club and PSU wrestling.

Huh? What the hell are you talking about, I think all of the wrestlers are wrestling directly for a collegiate team (most of the best team's on the east coast) or wrestling unattached for the same teams, but they're all collegiate wrestlers so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Huh? What the hell are you talking about, I think all of the wrestlers are wrestling directly for a collegiate team (most of the best team's on the east coast) or wrestling unattached for the same teams, but they're all collegiate wrestlers so I have no idea what you're talking about.

FYI - Morgan McIntosh's first two matches in this NLWC Open were against non-collegiate wrestlers. So those matches don't count toward his points or towards PSU's team points.
This was posted earlier.

Most wrestlers are from other college teams, as you mentioned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT