ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Former Penn State commit Marcus Stokes loses offer from Florida

Dylan Callaghan-Croley

Staff
Jun 14, 2020
A noteworthy recruiting note for a former Penn State commitment. QB Marcus Stokes has had his offer rescinded following a video of him rapping to a song and saying a word that he shouldn’t be saying, surfaced online.

A noteworthy recruiting note for a former Penn State commitment. QB Marcus Stokes has had his offer rescinded following a video of him rapping to a song and saying a word that he shouldn’t be saying, surfaced online.

Maybe he just say that he’s really a member of some minority group and he’d probably get a pass. It’s typical hypocrisy from these schools that blast rap music incessantly at games now from artists many of whom probably have misogynistic and homophobic lyrics in some of their songs. Such is the ridiculous country in which we now live.

Maybe he just say that he’s really a member of some minority group and he’d probably get a pass. It’s typical hypocrisy from these schools that blast rap music incessantly at games now from artists many of whom probably have misogynistic and homophobic lyrics in some of their songs. Such is the ridiculous country in which we now live.
Yep. Every Sunday night I am playing pool with a mixed race cloud. The jukebox plays a variety of genres over the night with the mix of people we have and always includes a number of songs with an unmentionable word in the lyrics that the offended parties are smiling and singing along with. We are the double standards/no standards nation.

Yup. Gangster rap is trash.

Why would it matter if he's simply rapping to a song and uses the words of that song? That's ridiculous. So now kids can't sing along with offensive songs that were deemed not offensive enough to be played over the air? But somehow we are good with the artist creating the song and the lyrics?

Bottom line, is the content too offensive or not? If yes, remove the content and fine the artist. If no, rap or sing along with the songs making millions for the artists if you want.

Why would it matter if he's simply rapping to a song and uses the words of that song? That's ridiculous. So now kids can't sing along with offensive songs that were deemed not offensive enough to be played over the air? But somehow we are good with the artist creating the song and the lyrics?

Bottom line, is the content too offensive or not? If yes, remove the content and fine the artist. If no, rap or sing along with the songs making millions for the artists if you want.
While I agree with you--if you're white you can't say it even singing lyrics

It’s the 3rd Rail for white people. Just don’t say it.
Then artists shouldn't rap it because people (of all races) will sing along like they do with literally every other song. It's not even conscious most of the time. You're just repeating what you've heard 100s of times. I didn't see the video so maybe his intent was different though

Reactions: The Spin Meister
FL found a way to rescind the offer that it regretted giving.

Not regret. They just got the QB they wanted more aka paid more for. No room for 2 in the class and I guess the kid didn't read the tea leaves.

Should have told him buh bye already.

Reactions: ram2020
Clearly they wanted to pull the offer and this was the perfect reason.
FL found a way to rescind the offer that it regretted giving.
Yeah I suspect that if Stokes were a 5* blue chipper, his actions would have been explained away as a foolish teenage indiscretion. A simple apology and he would have been good to go.

Nobody noticed until Florida did. How that works...
Good point. It's one thing to pull a scholarship. It's another to publicly tarnish a kid to justify pulling that scholarship. If my kid was committed to Florida right now, I'd be thinking twice about that choice. They don't appear to have their best interests at heart. There was a much better way to handle this.

Songs with f bombs are played at the Beav.

ADVERTISEMENT