ADVERTISEMENT

Franco’s public viewing

MacNit07

Aug 5, 2017
Just back from Acrisure Stadium. In addition to Steeler fans, there was a very strong contingent of PSU supporters.

Was shocked to see a receiving line with Dana and Dok. They were speaking to everyone (I was probably one of the first 500 in line and they started leaving people in about 10 minutes early.) God bless them - going to be a (another) long day.

Very somber but also uplifting. Franco defined “pillar of tbe community.” Makes you proud to be a Penn Stater.

We can never thank Franco enough for standing up for Joe and never wavering.

Pittsburgh but especially the PSU community will miss him
immensely. Who will rise to take his place?!

Just back from Acrisure Stadium. In addition to Steeler fans, there was a very strong contingent of PSU supporters.

Was shocked to see a receiving line with Dana and Dok. They were speaking to everyone (I was probably one of the first 500 in line and they started leaving people in about 10 minutes early.) God bless them - going to be a (another) long day.

Very somber but also uplifting. Franco defined “pillar of tbe community.” Makes you proud to be a Penn Stater.

We can never thank Franco enough for standing up for Joe and never wavering.

Pittsburgh but especially the PSU community will miss him
immensely. Who will rise to take his place?!
I also went to Acrisure Stadium to pay my respects to Franco and to offer my condolences to Dana and Dok. Dana was very gracious and is doing as well as could be expected. While waiting in line, I had an opportunity to talk to BOT member Brandon Short as well as with ex-BOT member Rob Tribeck.

Franco is a huge loss to the Pittsburgh community as well as to Penn State and Steeler nation. He was a great football player, but even a greater human being. Everyone liked Franco. He was kind, compassionate, and humble. He would almost always honor any reasonable request such as taking a photo with him or signing an autograph.

I have recently been made aware of a podcast, Upon Further Review, that he was working on at the time of the death. Please check out the 3 parts that he finished that are in Franco's own words. In particular, check out part 3 where Franco tells of confronting Mike McQueary at Joe Paterno's funeral and then knowing with 100% certainty that the grand jury presentment that MM witnesses an anal rape was a lie. Franco asks who was responsible for inserting that lie into the presentment.

uponfurtherreviewpsu.com

I also went to Acrisure Stadium to pay my respects to Franco and to offer my condolences to Dana and Dok. Dana was very gracious and is doing as well as could be expected. While waiting in line, I had an opportunity to talk to BOT member Brandon Short as well as with ex-BOT member Rob Tribeck.

Franco is a huge loss to the Pittsburgh community as well as to Penn State and Steeler nation. He was a great football player, but even a greater human being. Everyone liked Franco. He was kind, compassionate, and humble. He would almost always honor any reasonable request such as taking a photo with him or signing an autograph.

I have recently been made aware of a podcast, Upon Further Review, that he was working on at the time of the death. Please check out the 3 parts that he finished that are in Franco's own words. In particular, check out part 3 where Franco tells of confronting Mike McQueary at Joe Paterno's funeral and then knowing with 100% certainty that the grand jury presentment that MM witnesses an anal rape was a lie. Franco asks who was responsible for inserting that lie into the presentment.

uponfurtherreviewpsu.com
God Bless Franco,

What time were you there Francofan? I missed Brandon Short and would have got in his ear a bit if I had seen him. Brandon has promised some action that he has not yet delivered!

God Bless Franco,

What time were you there Francofan? I missed Brandon Short and would have got in his ear a bit if I had seen him. Brandon has promised some action that he has not yet delivered!
I got to Acrisure Stadium before noon and started waiting in line. I am guessing that there were 30-40 people in front of me. They started letting people in 10 minutes early at 12:50. I was in the second or third group to be let in the Champions Club. After I signed the guest book, I realized Brandon and Rob where in the same group and I talked with each of them. We were then taken to the closed casket where I was surprised to see Dana and Dok basically talking with everyone. I believe I left the Champion’s Club around 1:15-1:20.

Dana greeted me enthusiastically and asked me how I was doing. Behind every great man is a great woman. Franco is clearly a great man. Dana is a terrific lady. She will serve Franco’s legacy well in my opinion.

I got to Acrisure Stadium before noon and started waiting in line. I am guessing that there were 30-40 people in front of me. They started letting people in 10 minutes early at 12:50. I was in the second or third group to be let in the Champions Club. After I signed the guest book, I realized Brandon and Rob where in the same group and I talked with each of them. We were then taken to the closed casket where I was surprised to see Dana and Dok basically talking with everyone. I believe I left the Champion’s Club around 1:15-1:20.

Dana greeted me enthusiastically and asked me how I was doing. Behind every great man is a great woman. Franco is clearly a great man. Dana is a terrific lady. She will serve Franco’s legacy well in my opinion.
Got there myself about 12:25 pm. About 500 others ahead of me by then. Did you have Penn State gear on? Saw a small group near very front of line with such.

Agree with you on Dana - terrific lady.

Reactions: francofan
Franco was a saint and will be canonized in the Burgh. The impact of the immaculate reception was a vehicle that elevated Franco to do great things. His passing before his jersey retirement was a message to celebrate the man and not the play or his football accomplishments. Definitely on the burghs Mt. Rushmore with Carnegie, Mellon, Clemente, etc…. Incredible what he did and his impact on the city and its people.

Franco was a saint and will be canonized in the Burgh. The impact of the immaculate reception was a vehicle that elevated Franco to do great things. His passing before his jersey retirement was a message to celebrate the man and not the play or his football accomplishments. Definitely on the burghs Mt. Rushmore with Carnegie, Mellon, Clemente, etc…. Incredible what he did and his impact on the city and its people.
What did Clemente do for Pittsburgh?

God Bless Franco,

Don't hold your breath waiting for action from Short. That idiot thinks Penn State could lower tuition if they spend even more on athletics. Waste of a trustee seat.

Short is only interested in himself and pushing his brand… seriously. The guy has no clout within the BOT.

Roberto gave of himself to try to help others. I suspect you know that already. Additionally he was a great athlete. Many parallels to Franco
Well, know he traveled to try to help people in Nicaragua who were devastated by an earthquake. Very laudable.

What I don’t know is what he did for Pittsburgh. I was it old enough and I don’t recall what hearing anything specific or general.

Well, know he traveled to try to help people in Nicaragua who were devastated by an earthquake. Very laudable.

What I don’t know is what he did for Pittsburgh. I was it old enough and I don’t recall what hearing anything specific or general.
What he did for Pittsburgh? He played with dignity and never reacted to the racism he encountered there. He stood firm as a family man, a man of faith, a man of compassion and a man with an incredible work ethic. He was a role model to all of the youngsters in his time that grew up in and around 'The Burgh', boys and girls alike.

Last edited:
What he did for Pittsburgh? He played with dignity and never reacted to the racism he encountered there. He stood firm as a family man, a man of faith, a man of compassion and a man with an incredible work ethic. He was a role model to all of the youngsters in his time that grew up in and around 'The Burgh', boys and girls alike.
Agreed. I grew up not far from Pittsburg and moved to NE Ohio after graduating college. I firmly believe that the success of the Steelers (primarily), Penguins and Pirates played a huge part in Pittsburgh's recovery from the steel industry collapse. Cleveland is just now recovering.

Pittsburgh had a swagger, an attitude, a championship feel. CLE had a "woe is me" and "why do they hate us" attitude for decades. I truly believe it is due to the sports being a recovery from an awful economic mess. I would also say that CLE had, and has, a much greater geographic advantage being on the great lakes but squandered it. CLE's recovery started when they built "The Jake" and "Gund Arena" in downtown. Its been improving ever since. I'll never discount what major sports can do to a city after watching Pitt and CLE over the last 40 years.

God bless him.

But a lot of people do things like that. They all should be admired and appreciated.

Just did not recall Clemente doing things for Pittsburgh like Franco.

uponfurtherreviewpsu.com
Pretty sad that francofan has left us. Hoping he and Franco are sharing a few stories.

Reactions: bison13
God bless him.

But a lot of people do things like that. They all should be admired and appreciated.

Just did not recall Clemente doing things for Pittsburgh like Franco.
I believe your point is either not being understood, or purposefully being taken as a negative directed at Clemente by others.

Either way, I do not believe this is the appropriate thread to address that subject.

Don't forget, Clemente died while taking part in a charitable endeavor for Nicaragua, which was hit with an earthquake. From Wiki....

Clemente spent much of his time during the off-season involved in charity work. When Managua, the capital city of Nicaragua, was affected by a massive earthquake on December 23, 1972, Clemente (who visited Managua three weeks before the quake) immediately set to work arranging emergency relief flights.[72] He soon learned, however, that the aid packages on the first three flights had been diverted by corrupt officials of the Somoza government, never reaching victims of the quake.[73] He decided to accompany the fourth relief flight, hoping that his presence would ensure that the aid would be delivered to the survivors.[74] The airplane which he chartered for the New Year's Eve flight, a Douglas DC-7 cargo plane, had a history of mechanical problems and it also had an insufficient number of flight personnel (a flight engineer and a copilot were both missing), and it was also overloaded by 4,200 pounds (1,900 kg).[75] It crashed into the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Isla Verde, Puerto Rico immediately after takeoff on December 31, 1972, due to engine failure.[76]
A search and rescue effort was immediately launched, led by the USCGC Sagebrush.[77] A few days after the crash, the body of the pilot and part of the fuselage of the plane were found. An empty flight case which apparently belonged to Clemente was the only personal item of his which was recovered from the plane. Clemente's teammate and close friend Manny Sanguillén was the only member of the Pirates who did not attend Roberto's memorial service. Instead, the Pirates catcher chose to dive into the waters where Clemente's plane had crashed in an effort to find his teammate. The bodies of Clemente and three others who were also on the four-engine plane were never recovered.[76]
Montreal Expos pitcher Tom Walker, then playing winter league ball in Puerto Rico (in a league later named after Clemente), helped him load the plane. Because Clemente wanted Walker, who was single, to go and enjoy New Year's,[78] Clemente told him not to join him on the flight.​
In an interview for the ESPN documentary series SportsCentury in 2002, Clemente's widow Vera mentioned that Clemente had told her that he thought he was going to die young several times.[36] Indeed, while he was being asked when he would get his 3,000th career hit by broadcaster and future fellow Hall of Famer Richie Ashburn in July 1971 during the All-Star Game activities, Clemente's response was "Well, uh, you never know. I, I, uh, if I'm alive, like I said before, you never know because God tells you how long you're going to be here. So you never know what can happen tomorrow."[79] Clemente's older stepbrother, Luis, died on December 31, 1954, exactly 18 years before Clemente himself, and his stepsister died a few years later.​
At the time of his death, Clemente had established several records with the Pirates, including most triples in a game (three) and hits in two consecutive games (ten).[80] He won 12 Gold Glove Awards and shares the record of most won among outfielders with Willie Mays.[81][82] On July 25, 1956, in a 9–8 Pittsburgh win against the Chicago Cubs, Clemente hit the only walk-off inside-the-park grand slam in professional baseball history.[83][84]

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
What did Clemente do for Pittsburgh?
In 1954 the Pirates were 53 - 101, coal fumes were hard to breathe, and Pittsburgh was a depressing place.
In1955, Pirates got somebody named Roberto from the Dodgers, and I watched him throw out a guy at 3rd from the 375 mark in RF.
I knew something was gonna change, all the kids were talking about him, it was an incredible time .
He gets a lot of the credit.

I believe your point is either not being understood, or purposefully being taken as a negative directed at Clemente by others.

Either way, I do not believe this is the appropriate thread to address that subject.
Yep - not negative about RC at all…in fact, I actually have a business deal in works with RC family company…good people all.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT