ADVERTISEMENT

Football Franklin: “I’m not going anywhere”

Dylan Callaghan-Croley

Staff
Jun 14, 2020
Per Neil Rudel of the Altoona Mirror, James Franklin told the State College Quarterback Club, “I’m not going anywhere”.

Will be interesting to see how any extension will impact assistant salary pool as well as funding to improve Lasch and Beaver Stadium.

Of course he's not.

Even if LSU or USC truly wanted Franklin above their other candidates -- which I can't imagine they would, particularly now -- I've never been sold on the idea that Franklin was actually looking around. Give Franklin credit -- he's orchestrated this drama year in and year out to his financial benefit. Clearly, it works.

Reactions: JimNazium
Of course he's not.

Even if LSU or USC truly wanted Franklin above their other candidates -- which I can't imagine they would, particularly now -- I've never been sold on the idea that Franklin was actually looking around. Give Franklin credit -- he's orchestrated this drama year in and year out to his financial benefit. Clearly, it works.
Credit his agent.

Of course he's not.

And for the financial benefit of assistant coaches and long needed improvement of facilities.

Backs ain’t swift, rain won't lift
Fake field goal throws, James just froze
Get your mind off playoff-time
He ain't goin' nowhere

• Sad
Reactions: Lion8286
Per Neil Rudel of the Altoona Mirror, James Franklin told the State College Quarterback Club, “I’m not going anywhere”.

Will be interesting to see how any extension will impact assistant salary pool as well as funding to improve Lasch and Beaver Stadium.
Of course he's not going anywhere; he's our of options. Nobody wants him now. Why didn't he tell us that five weeks ago. Not good timing

I just think, no matter what he is selling behind closed doors, that the chatter about him leaving goes a long way with 18-22 year olds. They are the ones always on Twitter and Snapchat, etc. they are the ones probably getting text messages from other schools saying “when your coach leaves I got a spot for you”. To an older person never on those sites the rumors don’t matter. We had an unlucky break when Clifford went down vs Iowa. We were about to boat race them and be 6-0. The guys had 2 weeks off to hear how their coach was leaving. ****ing click bait mother ****ers.

• Haha
Reactions: Sten_Analoot
I just think, no matter what he is selling behind closed doors, that the chatter about him leaving goes a long way with 18-22 year olds. They are the ones always on Twitter and Snapchat, etc. they are the ones probably getting text messages from other schools saying “when your coach leaves I got a spot for you”. To an older person never on those sites the rumors don’t matter. We had an unlucky break when Clifford went down vs Iowa. We were about to boat race them and be 6-0. The guys had 2 weeks off to hear how their coach was leaving. ****ing click bait mother ****ers.
100% correct. The recruits and current players hear the comments from students, friends, family members, fellow recruits and other team’s players, and other coaches. Not to mention the 24/7 social media environment. You know there were other coaches telling our recruits what a boneheaded play it was to fake that field goal last week. Even if Franklin gets a 10 year extension, you know we are going to hear his name (along with Franklin’s silence or intentional misdirection and vagueness) come up in head coach vacancy discussions in the near future.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sten_Analoot
Good. Only a small % of fans, and some media wanted him gone.

Team has some maddening loses but he does things the right way.

It was a good season all and all, about a dozen hornets got waxed, but mo better Frogger and Jr Frogger saved from storm drain when necessary.

Of course he's not.

It works for him…Penn State has a “kick me” sign on its backside.

Reactions: Fizz1
And for the financial benefit of assistant coaches and long needed improvement of facilities.
Bullshit. He had a chance to become the cream of the crop in the B1G and he blew it. He blew it with the MSU losses. He blew it at Minnesota. He blew it at Iowa. He blew it at home vs Illinois. He blew it in the Rose Bowl. And he blew it twice in the 4th quarter in back to back years vs tOSU. Are facility improvements needed? Absolutely. And it starts with tearing down those 100 year old bolted together bleachers and building a cathedral worthy to be called Paterno Stadium. That said, anyone who thinks the list of blown games was due to facilities needs their head examined.

Last edited:
Bullshit. He had a chance to become the cream of the crop in the B1G and he blew it. He blew it with the MSU losses. He blew it at Minnesota. He blew it at Iowa. He blew it at home vs Illinois. He blew it in the Rose Bowl. And he blew it twice in the 4th quarter in back to back years vs tOSU. Are facility improvements needed? Absolutely. And it starts with tearing down those 100 year old bolted together bletchers and building a cathedral worthy to be called Paterno Stadium. That said, anyone who thinks the list of blown games was due to facilities needs their head examined.
I agree with almost everything. In some of those though, players failed to make players or just plain f d up. And in a few cases line Minn, in addition to poor coaching and done poor play, Refs f d us there towards end.

Surprised that no one has complained about Franklin for being to vague. Just how much is he hiding in that contraction?

I completely understand the irritation and frustration many posters feel about the seemingly annual mention of James as a candidate for another HC position. However, I think Franklin faces a university administration unlike any other among the 130 Div. 1 programs.

At the powerhouse schools, such as Alabama, LSU, OSU, etc., football is unquestionably driving the truck. One poster here even has used a quote from NCAA head Emmert about how the success of football is essential to the success of LSU as a university (or something close to that).

Then look at what the Penn State BOT did to its football program, actually seeking to destroy it 9 years ago. Do any of you believe the boards at Michigan, MSU, OSU, LSU, Tennessee, NC would ever allow the NCAA to sanction their programs to the extent PSU's board allowed?

I can't defend Franklin for dragging out these media implications of his interest in leaving PSU. I actually believe he wants to stay at Penn State for his entire career. But I think he sees an administration and board that doesn't view the PSU football program through the same lens as his chief competitors' leadership groups do.

So perhaps he feels the need to keep chipping at the administration to get more in tune with those at Ohio State and Alabama.

For me, I'd settle for an OL and a DL more similar to Ohio State's and Alabama's.

Even if Franklin gets a 10 year extension, you know we are going to hear his name (along with Franklin’s silence or intentional misdirection and vagueness) come up in head coach vacancy discussions in the near future.

I hope we do. If we don't it means everyone here got their wish and we're seeing losing seasons.

Reactions: MaconNitt
I'm glad he's staying. Clifford's injury definitely cost us two games. The scoop and score didn't help against OSU. The players failed to execute against Michigan.
BINGO.
I completely understand the irritation and frustration many posters feel about the seemingly annual mention of James as a candidate for another HC position. However, I think Franklin faces a university administration unlike any other among the 130 Div. 1 programs.

At the powerhouse schools, such as Alabama, LSU, OSU, etc., football is unquestionably driving the truck. One poster here even has used a quote from NCAA head Emmert about how the success of football is essential to the success of LSU as a university (or something close to that).

Then look at what the Penn State BOT did to its football program, actually seeking to destroy it 9 years ago. Do any of you believe the boards at Michigan, MSU, OSU, LSU, Tennessee, NC would ever allow the NCAA to sanction their programs to the extent PSU's board allowed?

I can't defend Franklin for dragging out these media implications of his interest in leaving PSU. I actually believe he wants to stay at Penn State for his entire career. But I think he sees an administration and board that doesn't view the PSU football program through the same lens as his chief competitors' leadership groups do.

So perhaps he feels the need to keep chipping at the administration to get more in tune with those at Ohio State and Alabama.

For me, I'd settle for an OL and a DL more similar to Ohio State's and Alabama's.
That’s clearly been what he has been doing. As another poster said, the PLAYERS didn’t make the critical plays against Michigan. Franklin deserves blame for the Illinois debacle, but his coaching didn’t have a damn thing to do with the loss to Michigan.

Love it— Franklin’s good for PSU— eventually the good guys will triumph!!— none of us are perfect, Franklin’s a good guy and tries hard— if he would just let the BWI brain trust call some critical plays we’d be better!! Paterno would be proud of how Franklin takes care of players.

Let’s send Dotson and Clifford out on a high note this weekend— I’m ready for Drew Allar and Nick Singleton era and anybody new on the O line. the Defense and Special Teams are great as they are. . We Are…..

Franklin Fan Boy. He is a good guy and garbage coach. Coach’s come to due under Franklin. Why any offensive coach would want to come to PennState is beyond me. I’m convinced he put his slow developing plays are required as a staple of the offense.

The BOT didn't prevent Franklin from developing the backup QBs to minimally lead the team and they didnt prevent him from saying he's staying.

He could also have said that he and the AD were working towards improving the facilities.

He's supposed to be such a great communicator but he's blown all these opportunities to be clear and he uses the QB luncheon to set the record straight?

Lets stop looking elsewhere for answers if Franklin truly "gets it" as he said this week. This stupid see-saw of staying / leaving has cost us wins no doubt.

Good. Only a small % of fans, and some media wanted him gone.

Team has some maddening loses but he does things the right way.
I'm glad he finally cleared that up.

A day late and a dollar short, as the saying goes, but at least done.

However, just based on this board, Franklin's lost about half the fans.

Not a small percentage.

Just because you don't want him go doesn't mean the world agrees.

They may be wrong, I'm not sure, but I know a lot of the fan base has had enough.

As a fan base, where exactly do we think PSU ranks in terms of top jobs? Joel Klatt has been on the record saying USC is a top 5 job. He said Miami is likely a top 20-25 job.

As a fan base, where exactly do we think PSU ranks in terms of top jobs? Joel Klatt has been on the record saying USC is a top 5 job. He said Miami is likely a top 20-25 job.
Joel Klatt.....OK.

Alabama - no commentary needed
Ohio State - big school, tradition, recent success, $$, fertile recruiting
Notre Dame - big, tradition, tradition, $$$, fertile national recruiting
Texas - big, tradition, $$$$$$$$$$$$$, fertile recruiting
Georgia - big, tradition, $$$$, recent success, fertile recruiting
PSU - big, tradition, tradition, $$, fertile recruiting
LSU - Big, $$$, Recent success, fertile recruiting
Michigan - Big, $$$, tradition.
USC - $$$$$$, tradition.
Clemson - $$$, recent success, fertile recruiting

No, the unlucky break was not when SC went down. It was when Will Levi’s left and we had no backup QB. They say “ Luck is the residue of design.” Our QB room when Will left did not have anyone at that time who could play QB at a top tier B1G level. That’s on CJF for not having a good QB room 3 deep who could play.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
No, the unlucky break was not when SC went down. It was when Will Levi’s left and we had no backup QB. They say “ Luck is the residue of design.” Our QB room when Will left did not have anyone at that time who could play QB at a top tier B1G level. That’s on CJF for not having a good QB room 3 deep who could play.
If you think rosters everywhere are really 3 deep at QB, you're out of your mind. QB's transfer as there is only one guy getting snaps and you have 5 years to play 4. That is on every coach in the nation if you think a large percentage are 3 deep there. It's one thing to be critical, but it's another to be objective.

Bullshit. He had a chance to become the cream of the crop in the B1G and he blew it. He blew it with the MSU losses. He blew it at Minnesota. He blew it at Iowa. He blew it at home vs Illinois. He blew it in the Rose Bowl. And he blew it twice in the 4th quarter in back to back years vs tOSU. Are facility improvements needed? Absolutely. And it starts with tearing down those 100 year old bolted together bleachers and building a cathedral worthy to be called Paterno Stadium. That said, anyone who thinks the list of blown games was due to facilities needs their head examined.
He kinda right :eek:

Reactions: katchthis
If you think rosters everywhere are really 3 deep at QB, you're out of your mind. QB's transfer as there is only one guy getting snaps and you have 5 years to play 4. That is on every coach in the nation if you think a large percentage are 3 deep there. It's one thing to be critical, but it's another to be objective.
It's hard to argue that, in today's game, you're going to have more than one good quarterback.

I'm just not going to sit and wait my turn. Might never come.

He kinda right :eek:
Except for the facilities part.

Our stadium is awesome. There's no recruiting benefit in upgrading it. None.

Does anyone really think recruits are saying "Well, that white out thing is the best in the nation, but the structure sure needs updating." Seriously?

Reactions: ftlpsu
100% correct. The recruits and current players hear the comments from students, friends, family members, fellow recruits and other team’s players, and other coaches. Not to mention the 24/7 social media environment. You know there were other coaches telling our recruits what a boneheaded play it was to fake that field goal last week. Even if Franklin gets a 10 year extension, you know we are going to hear his name (along with Franklin’s silence or intentional misdirection and vagueness) come up in head coach vacancy discussions in the near future.
Strange that we seem concerned what young recruits might hear about Franklin, yet we continue to spread rumors and negativity about him without relent. Hmmmm

Does anyone really think recruits are saying "Well, that white out thing is the best in the nation, but the structure sure needs updating." Seriously?
AGREE 100%

Stadium stuff is stupid and all perception with that $#!! and I wear Canali and love Michelin star restaraunts!

It has nothing to do with the stadium. When a local kid who happened to be the #1 recruit a few years ago was getting recruited I saw every big time coach in the country. He and I talked about all of his visits and he said that out of all the places he went, PSU had the least appealing practice set up, locker rooms, workout/therapy rooms, etc. Saturdays are better but Sunday - Friday are not up to any of the other top programs.

It's kind of like the end of season NFL talent evaluations. There are about 100 players with first or second round talent. There are about 15 top 5 coaching jobs.

Seriously though, it depends on what a coach wants. There are few schools that have all of ......our tradition, our financial capabilities and most importantly, our willingness as a fanbase and administration to accept the down years. All of the schools engineer89 listed have the first two. None have the third. I understand why a given coach may want to go to any of them before PSU. They will be be fired for losing at each of them years before they would at PSU.

I'm glad he's staying. Clifford's injury definitely cost us two games. The scoop and score didn't help against OSU. The players failed to execute against Michigan.

If you can't beat Illinois with your backup -- or even a hobbled QB1 -- you have problems. Roster management/recruiting problems. Player development problems, perhaps. But problems that the coaches must take responsibility for.

Last I checked, Sean Clifford's sore ribs didn't allow Illinois to run over and past our defense like we were wearing cement boots. The lack of defensive adjustments was embarrassing.

Scoop-and-scores happen. Our offensive line got blown the F up, and that's an indictment of this staff's repeated failure to build a reputable OL.

That fake FG call against Michigan was embarrassing. The 4th and 2 call down the stretch was embarrassing. Blame it on player execution, but Franklin is all about "putting players in the best position to succeed". Clearly he/the staff is not doing that with some of these boneheaded calls.

And it's hardly an isolated event. Don't need to relitigate the history of stupid calls.

And after all these years, if we're still using the whole "players failed to execute" excuse, then it begs the question as to why this is such a consistent pattern. It's almost as if the coaches are being paid to maximize the likelihood of success in executing plays.

All that said.......we're not getting Fickell. Rhule isn't coming back. I'm not sold that Matt Campbell would be an upgrade . So in that sense, Franklin staying might be our best option.

I don't think CJF ever had any intention of going anywhere. The noise about him leaving never came from him, it came from talking heads. CJF, to both his credit and detriment did not answer those rumors right away. Those reasons are unknown to me (but if someone knows why he didn't come and say it, I would like to see a link to that information).

ADVERTISEMENT