ADVERTISEMENT

Freestyle in Full Swing!!

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Following are key dates for the freestyle tournaments leading up to the World Championships;

April 1: Bill Farrell International (Cedar Falls, IA) - No past/current Penn Staters registered

April 26-May 1: US Open Championships (Las Vegas, NV) - Plenty should be there, Nolf told me he would be for sure, we'll have to wait for others

May 13: Last Chance Qualifier (Atlantic City, NJ) - Those that haven't qualified yet

May 21-22: Senior World Team Trials Challenge Tournament (Coralville, IA) - Plenty of past/current Penn Staters will be there (see below)

June 3: Final X, Part 1 (Stillwater, OK) - 5 of 10 FS weight classes
June 8: Final X, Part 2 (New York City, NY) - the other 5 weight classes

September 10-18: World Championships (Belgrade, Serbia)

Already qualified for the Challenge Tourney or Final X: Nick Lee, RBY< Beau Bartlett, Zain Retherford, Jason Nolf, Carter Starocci, David Taylor, Bo Nickal, Aaron Brooks, Max Dean (miss anyone?)

Last edited:
DT I believe said his next time on the mat is either Bulgaria or final X. Him an dake were in an Instagram live during NCAAs and they both said where's next.

For those that don't follow freestyle as much, Gilman, Taylor, and Snyder are automatically sitting in Final X. They will face the winners of the challenge tourny at the respective weights.
True. And to round out the entire Men's Freestyle list; Kyle Dake, Jordan Burroughs, J'Den Cox and Gable Steveson are sitting at Final X too.

UWW Junior world trials are also taking place in Vegas during the US Open on April 27th-May 1st. Does anyone know if PSU will have any kids enter? I would love to see Facundo, SVN, Bartlett, and Robbie Howard. I’m not sure if this is true or just in my head but it seems like a lot of kids that make the Junior team end up having a really good folkstyle season right afterwards. I know this isn’t the case with Bartlett last year but Keegan, Mark Hall, Spencer Lee, Daton Fix, Mekhi, David Carr, Mason Parris, and Gable are recent examples. Other than Bartlett last year the other one who didn’t meet expectations was Braxton Amos. Overall, I think it’s a huge plus. The training camps and just being on the mat with high level competition everyday is only a plus in my eyes. I really hope some of the PSU redshirts try and make the team this year. Also, I didn’t check but does Levi still qualify for cadets? Really hope he goes again this year and comes home with gold

Here is a link to all qualifiers as of 3/22, plus the required criteria for anybody else.

This includes those who just qualified at NCAAs such as RBY and Dean -- note, for these guys, they're qualified in general and not tied to a specific weight. RBY is listed at 57 kg, but I'd expect him at 61 kg.

Guessing the opt-out @RoarLions1 alluded to is Carter -- since he was having surgery on his broken hand.

Not sure if this requires a Rokfin subscription but here are the Farrell participants so far:

That one is paywalled.

Here is a free version:

Ceron Francisco is the only NLWC entry so far, though that'll likely change.

Following are key dates for the freestyle tournaments leading up to the World Championships;

April 1: Bill Farrell International (Cedar Falls, IA) - No past/current Penn Staters registered

April 26-May 1: US Open Championships (Las Vegas, NV) - Plenty should be there, Nolf told me he would be for sure, we'll have to wait for others

May 13: Last Chance Qualifier (Atlantic City, NJ) - Those that haven't qualified yet

May 21-22: Senior World Team Trials Challenge Tournament (Coralville, IA) - Plenty of past/current Penn Staters will be there (see below)

Already qualified for the Challenge Tourney or Final X: Nick Lee, RBY< Beau Bartlett, Zain Retherford, Jason Nolf, Carter Starocci, David Taylor, Bo Nickal, Aaron Brooks, Max Dean (miss anyone?)

You forgot the Oscar's!.

Man I haven't see Isaiah White's name in awhile, anyone know where he's training?

Thanks Roar, I see the upcoming World Championships are to be held in Serbia. I am attaching an article on the current political landscape in Serbia (close ties with Russia, press repression, deep-seated political corruption and authoritarian governance). Other than Belarus, Serbia is the only country in Eastern Europe not to support Russian sanctions and Serbian groups with close ties to the Serbian leader have recently been sanctioned by the U.S. Hopefully none of this will affect the U.S. team's participation, but it is something to keep an eye on. Serbia article

Reactions: hlstone
Thanks Roar, I see the upcoming World Championships are to be held in Serbia. I am attaching an article on the current political landscape in Serbia (close ties with Russia, press repression, deep-seated political corruption and authoritarian governance). Other than Belarus, Serbia is the only country in Eastern Europe not to support Russian sanctions and Serbian groups with close ties to the Serbian leader have recently been sanctioned by the U.S. Hopefully none of this will affect the U.S. team's participation, but it is something to keep an eye on. Serbia article
In light of the Ukraine and Brittny Griner situations, will US wrestlers continue to travel to Russia for tournaments ? Specifically, Snyder, Nolf and Retherford.

This may have been covered elsewhere, but will Russia be attending the World Championships? Banned?

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUer1989
DT I believe said his next time on the mat is either Bulgaria or final X. Him an dake were in an Instagram live during NCAAs and they both said where's next.
What upcoming tournament is in Bulgaria to which DT and Dake might attend? I couldn't find anything on the UWW website.

Bartlett has a choice as he's qualified for Seniors. I did hear that Howard was planning to wrestle this summer (or sooner?), but that comment goes back a month.
I really hope Howard goes. He is such a good freestyler and getting him some mat time with high level competition would be beneficial I think

Pan ams and this crew.....lots of gold will be mined

Observation 1: Pretty much our best squad with one obvious omission.

Q1: Does anyone know why DT is not going?

Observation 2: Too bad Nick Lee didn't get to wrestle McKenna for true 2nd last summer.

Q2: Is 70kgs Zain's new home?

ADVERTISEMENT