ADVERTISEMENT

Freestyle this weekend: U23 Trials & Pan Ams Championships

nerfstate

Oct 10, 2017
Was just reviewing the details courtesy of Justin Basch’s Rokfin.

It looks like the only NLWC entrant in U23s is Edsell. 61 & 92 seem to have especially strong competition.

Then Pan Ams, which should be on flo:

Saturday

• 12:00 PM ET - Men's Freestyle 79 & 92kg qualification and repechage
  • 7:00 PM ET - Men's Freestyle 79 & 92kg finals
Sunday

• 12:00 PM ET - Men's Freestyle 57, 61, 65, 70, 74, 86, 97 & 125kg qualification and repechage
  • 7:00 PM ET - Men's Freestyle 57, 61, 65, 70, 74, 86, 97 & 125kg finals

And our guys per Basch:
  • 57kg: Vitali Arujau (Spartan WC/TMWC) (Gilman is nursing a foot injury, but he'll be ready to go for Tokyo)
  • 61kg: Shelton Mack (NYC RTC)
  • 65kg: Joey Mckenna (Penn RTC) (JO is a bit banged up, so sitting this one out and Joey stepping in)
  • 70kg: Alec Pantaleo (Cliff Keen WC)
  • 74kg: Kyle Dake (Spartan Comabt WC/TMWC)
  • 79kg: Taylor Lujan (Panther WC) Tommy Gantt (Wolfpack RTC/TMWC)--thanks @dmm53
  • 86kg: David Taylor (Nittany Lion WC/TMWC)
  • 92kg: Nate Jackson (NJ RTC/NYAC)
  • 97kg: Kyle Snyder (Nittany Lion WC/TMWC)
  • 125kg: Gable Steveson (Gopher WC RTC)

Last edited:
Gantt has replaced Lujan at 79KG for Pan Ams. Was hoping that Nolf would go instead.

U.S. men’s freestyle roster
57kg: Vitali Arujau (Spartan WC/TMWC)
61kg: Shelton Mack (NYC RTC)
65kg: Joey McKenna (Pennsylvania RTC/TMWC)
70kg: Alec Pantaleo (Cliff Keen WC)
74kg: Kyle Dake (Spartan Comabt WC/TMWC)
79kg: Tommy Gantt (Wolfpack RTC/TMWC)
86kg: David Taylor (Nittany Lion WC/TMWC)
92kg: Nate Jackson (NJ RTC/NYAC)
97kg: Kyle Snyder (Nittany Lion WC/TMWC)
125kg: Gable Steveson (Gopher WC RTC)

Reactions: diggerpup
Amos going 97kg in Greco. 61kg would be perfect for RBY. Hope he focuses on that weight every three out of four years and wins some world titles.

Gantt has replaced Lujan at 79KG for Pan Ams. Was hoping that Nolf would go instead.

U.S. men’s freestyle roster
57kg: Vitali Arujau (Spartan WC/TMWC)
61kg: Shelton Mack (NYC RTC)
65kg: Joey McKenna (Pennsylvania RTC/TMWC)
70kg: Alec Pantaleo (Cliff Keen WC)
74kg: Kyle Dake (Spartan Comabt WC/TMWC)
79kg: Tommy Gantt (Wolfpack RTC/TMWC)
86kg: David Taylor (Nittany Lion WC/TMWC)
92kg: Nate Jackson (NJ RTC/NYAC)
97kg: Kyle Snyder (Nittany Lion WC/TMWC)
125kg: Gable Steveson (Gopher WC RTC)

Nolf at 79kg? He would need to spend a LOT of time at McDs and eat hearty.

Since Dake will very likely medal at the Olympics, Nolf will be forced to go 79 KG for the US trials to get to the 2021 World Championships in October if he wants to make the team. Other guys at that weight will probably include Boroughs, Zahid Valencia and Deiringer.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Looks like there is another NLWC guy at U23's this weekend: 61 kg - Brandon Meredith, Nittany Lion Wrestling Club

This stinks, because the thought was, beyond the obvious competition boost accross the board, we would have gotten a Cox vs. Sadulaev match. :-(

Reactions: danoftw
Nerf, was Cox going 97? I thought i saw him going 92 in Poland
Thought so too which made zero sense. This whole move to 97kg is about trying to beat Sadulaev and being the best in the world. Sadulaev only wrestles like three times a year. The only chance you get at him is in the world finals lol. I was confused as hell about Cox going 92kg.

I'm surprised but not overly so that we don't have many people registered. Seems like OTTs/senior WTTs are the only thing NLWC shows up for en masse.

I think NLWC could actually do pretty well at U23s if they showed up. Could win 61, 65, 79, 86 and 125.

U23 just seems like a really watered down division all due respect. Seems most of the best don't partake in it and go right to seniors. Bo did it just cause it was a chance to keep wrestling after he lost Final X to J'Den and Kerk seemed to think he'd be challenged more there than at juniors (and wasn't ready for seniors yet)

Kerk still had junior eligibility as of this year

So I didn’t get to watch anything yesterday, but by means of a recap:

Meredith went 3-1 yesterday with two topside w’s and is still alive in consolations, though he’ll draw Pat McKee if he wins his next match (Jesse Mendez 10-0d Mckee on the top side and is in the semis—keep that press full, y’all).

Edsell went 2-2, winning his first 2 matches.

Another interesting result was Saunders, who lost in the 2nd round, but TF’d Chad Redd on the backside.

As predicted, 92 seems to have the best semis: Caffey vs Bonaccorsi and Woodley vs Elam.

To be fair, Saunders was up 9-0 and looking for the VSU when he caught himself on his back. He's actually looked very good in all his matches.
It's all good man. Josh just stopped trying when he went up 9-0 obviously.

All seriousness, he's very good and will absolutely be a factor at 141 next year.

Seems like a Cornell thing to get stepped over and pinned while trying a gut lol.

How bad did the Mendez injury look? Sucks

Snyder, McKenna, Dake already have 10-0 techs. I imagine that score will be a familiar one today.

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT