ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Night 10/18 Games

lazydave841

Jan 9, 2021
Manny gonna fool around and lose to 1-5 Florida State. Down 3-0. 2 straight punts.

Oregon and Purdue at 8.

Nice to see Manny doing well at Duke

Manny has a seriously weak offense. I'm not sure what the primary issue is, but they just don't move the ball. It could be the QB Murphy who was 12/24 for 70 yards last night. SEVENTY YARDS PASSING. Wow, that is bad. Particularly vs this Seminole team.

Duke will struggle to win 8 games now. Wake Forest and NC State they should be favorites (FPI has them winning those), but with an offense that can't move the ball, every game is tough and close.

Reactions: Jerry
I wonder if FSU was more focused on conference realignment and their lawsuit this year than winning football games. Seriously, a 1-6 record despite one of the largest NIL pots of gold in college football.

I'm trying to think of one other instance in the history of college football -- not that I know the entire history of college football -- where a team has suffered this level of total collapse in one year. Remember, Florida State had a preseason top-10 ranking. It's mindboggling.

I wonder if FSU was more focused on conference realignment and their lawsuit this year than winning football games. Seriously, a 1-6 record despite one of the largest NIL pots of gold in college football.

Too much roster turnover. The portal is for filling holes, not long term team development. You have to recruit well, and develop players. The most successful coaches will then walk the fine line of using the portal to fill any holes in their roster while nudging along the kids who aren't P4 level.

QB play is another big thing. A strong QB leads FSU to victory last night simply by protecting the ball. Duke was under 200 yards of offense last night and FSU still lost. Pick 6 ended up being the scoring difference.

Reactions: LMTLION
I'm trying to think of one other instance in the history of college football -- not that I know the entire history of college football -- where a team has suffered this level of total collapse in one year. Remember, Florida State had a preseason top-10 ranking. It's mindboggling.

Penn State. 2020.

From 11-2 to an 0-5 start that finished 4-5.

Manny has a seriously weak offense. I'm not sure what the primary issue is, but they just don't move the ball. It could be the QB Murphy who was 12/24 for 70 yards last night. SEVENTY YARDS PASSING. Wow, that is bad. Particularly vs this Seminole team.

Duke will struggle to win 8 games now. Wake Forest and NC State they should be favorites (FPI has them winning those), but with an offense that can't move the ball, every game is tough and close.
Yeah, agree, but as a Duke fan, I'd be delighted with an 8-win regular season. Better than that would be gravy.

The previous 2 years, PSU was among the national leaders in defensive stats like points allowed, yards allowed, sacks, and tackles for loss. And now Duke, of all teams is among the national leaders in defensive stats.

Manny a defensive savant?

Football is the ultimate team sport. And if you don't have talented players that are also leaders and listen to and have respect for the head coach and his staff, your team will never be successful.

The introduction of NIL compensation, if not managed properly, can contribute to a dysfunctional locker room and actually exacerbate the problem.

You can have the best head coach in the world from an 'X' and 'O' perspective, but if the team tunes him out and does not believe in and work hard to execute that plan, that team will never succeed.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Penn State. 2020.

From 11-2 to an 0-5 start that finished 4-5.

Right, I know that many teams have gone from outstanding to mediocre. In fact, it's happened to Penn State more than once actually.

To me, 4-5 qualifies as "mediocre" not "total collapse." I mean, at this point you have to wonder if Florida State will win another game.

I guess when you put it that way I'm being premature in thinking there may be no precedent. We'll have to wait until the end of the season to measure the dimension of the Noles' collapse. Maybe they'll scrape up a few wins.

FSU wasn't nearly as good as their record last year either...its definitely a combination of them being tol reliant on the portal but last year was smoke and mirrors. Much like BYU is this year.

Rooting for Duke but it won't be easy for them the rest of the way

Right, I know that many teams have gone from outstanding to mediocre. In fact, it's happened to Penn State more than once actually.

To me, 4-5 qualifies as "mediocre" not "total collapse." I mean, at this point you have to wonder if Florida State will win another game.

I guess when you put it that way I'm being premature in thinking there may be no precedent. We'll have to wait until the end of the season to measure the dimension of the Noles' collapse. Maybe they'll scrape up a few wins.

OK, I see they have Charleston-Southern on their schedule. So that's gotta be a W.

And in their traditional end-of-season game, Florida may be as messed up as Florida State right now.

4-5 is a total collapse in college football
TCU was one last year at 5-7
Under 500 in college football is a complete collapse
1-11 or 5-7--the argument is over varying levels of terrifyingly bad

If a QB completed twelve passes and got only five yards……that’s on the OC. Did they hire Canada?

One can give Franklin a pass for 2020 (I do; I don't hold it against him because every state was allowed to do things differently) yet still acknowledge we went from 11-2 to 0-5, which is the same thing FSU is currently going through. The reasons are exponentially different, but the initial question was about teams going from one extreme to the other and that version of our team fit the criteria.

If a QB completed twelve passes and got only five yards……that’s on the OC. Did they hire Canada?
Actually, it appears that Diaz is employing the Mike Tomlin strategy that the Steelers used last year with Kenny Pickett as the starting QB.

Both the Steelers and Duke use a 'defense first' mentality while asking the offense to just do enough to earn the victory.

And while it is certainly not necessarily a formula for winning championships, it allows you to defeat teams that have more talent.

And nothing begets team building more than actually winning games as ity makes it easier for the coach to get the buy in of his players.

It's probably a shared blame for sure. I think they called 15 Quick Slants last night (not an exaggerated number, they called at least 10). Murphy isn't very good at hitting the WR in stride, the WRs look considerably worse than our '23 group, and FSU had an advantage at CB from what I saw (they covered better than Duke could run routes and catch).

I was under the impression Murphy was a mobile QB and they don't design runs for him. A lot of Inside Zone with no QB Reads. Combined with his near-Orji level throwing and it's just a bad combo.

Yeah, agree, but as a Duke fan, I'd be delighted with an 8-win regular season. Better than that would be gravy.

The previous 2 years, PSU was among the national leaders in defensive stats like points allowed, yards allowed, sacks, and tackles for loss. And now Duke, of all teams is among the national leaders in defensive stats.

Manny a defensive savant?
Win 8 games beat someone in a bowl game and Manny is a hero at Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT