ADVERTISEMENT

Friday question — what would you consider a successful season?

Let’s be realistic here….😅
Solid improvement in all aspects. Won/loss isn’t as critical because of so many factors out of our control. ...injuries, weather, referines, eligibility issues. We have lost games recently because of each of those.

Need to see an improved O line.

An offense that is organized with players knowing what to do.

An offense designed to maximize players skills instead of trying to make players fit the system.

Better game management by coaches.

Depth at QB.

Adaptability/adjustments to opposing team strategies......in the first half. Better yet...first quarter.

Yes 9-3 or better is expected. But sh!t happens and how we handle it is key.

Last edited:
Reactions: lazydave841
My successful season is wins over Auburn, tOSU, and UM without regard how we fair against the others on the schedule. A loss to any of those three teams and its an unsuccessful season for me.

Yes 9-3 or better is expected. But sh!t happens and how we handle it is key.
Agree with the all of the items you detailed yet this one speaks to what I'd most like to see. The team needs to demonstrate the ability to handle adversity. Better player/team preparation and better use of garbage time to help accomplish this.

If these areas of improvement are demonstrated by the team I would consider the season successful regardless of record.

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters"

Reactions: The Spin Meister
The team is in year two of a difficult offensive transition. Most of the two deep up front were recruited and developed to execute a mostly man blocking scheme. I would expect an incremental improvement. The passing game was at its best when Dotson and Washington flip flopped slot and outside receiver roles allowing Dotson to exploit zone coverage. That attribute is gone with Tinsley likely locking down the X receiver and Washington staying inside. The defense is going through a similar adjustment. Like last year, the schedule does us no favors playing a pesky Purdue team on the road on a Thursday night. Right now, 5 and 7 looks like a reasonable worst case given the schedule while 9 and 3 looks like a realistic best case.

I would put the pin on 9 and 3 with a reasonable step forward on offense and a defense that shows progress throughout the year.

ADVERTISEMENT