ADVERTISEMENT

From DawgNation: Will UGA be motivated to play.

2sb7cjn.gif

Reactions: LaJolla Lion

Still scratching my head at this beaut from the very beginning of the article:

"All that served as the backdrop Monday as the Bulldogs return to practice, preparing for a match-up with Penn State in the TaxSlayer Bowl that many have deemed irrelevant."

Huh? Do you mean to tell me that the GA Bulldogs faithful are just figuring out that the result of the Taxslayer Bowl (formerly the Gator Bowl) is "irrelevant"? Dumb article, the teams are "playing for" what teams in such an irrelevant bowl have always played for - they're "playing for pride" and the name of the school on their jersey. If GA loses, it is beyond weak to be making pre-game excuses claiming they weren't motivated....the game is irrelevant...blah, blah, blah.

I expect (and hope) the players for both sides to come out motivated and fired up and give it their best shot.

Ultimately guys play because they love the competition, for their teammates, and for love of the game. Why else would you put up with the drudgery and pain? You play because you love to play.

SEC teams never lose, they just didn't want to be there- or it was too muddy, or something...

I think that was the LSU game a few years ago. Actually if it were not for the rain/mud and the fact we scored MORE points than them, they would have won the game :)
Not to mention more yardage (passing AND rushing), first downs, etc, etc.

Reactions: psu00
In my lifetime, I have seen four different head football coaches at Penn State. One thing that has seemed to be a constant is that Penn State plays down to the perceived level of it's opponent.

This article means to me that things do not bode well for us.

In my lifetime, I have seen four different head football coaches at Penn State. One thing that has seemed to be a constant is that Penn State plays down to the perceived level of it's opponent.

Do you really think we read your posts with that sig pic?

Still scratching my head at this beaut from the very beginning of the article:

"All that served as the backdrop Monday as the Bulldogs return to practice, preparing for a match-up with Penn State in the TaxSlayer Bowl that many have deemed irrelevant."

Huh? Do you mean to tell me that the GA Bulldogs faithful are just figuring out that the result of the Taxslayer Bowl (formerly the Gator Bowl) is "irrelevant"? Dumb article, the teams are "playing for" what teams in such an irrelevant bowl have always played for - they're "playing for pride" and the name of the school on their jersey. If GA loses, it is beyond weak to be making pre-game excuses claiming they weren't motivated....the game is irrelevant...blah, blah, blah.

Outside of the two playoff games, all the bowls are irrelevant and have been for the history of time. Even when there were far fewer bowl games, only one or two really mattered every year.

I don't disagree with what you're saying in respect to tendency to play down to opponent level. I doubt, though, that PSU team perceives Georgia as anything but a quality SEC opponent and if it were me I would be jacked to play them on Jan 2nd in FL. Maybe their coaching staff is in disarray and maybe this isn't the best Georgia team historically, but this Penn State team isn't winning any beauty contests either.

I'm more worried about Franklin keeping the team's focus on the game and preparing an offensive game plan that will enable them to move the ball effectively and protect Hack. Maybe in the media's spin machine there's no way for PSU to come out on top - if we win we beat a UGA team in disarray, if we lose... we just lost to an SEC team in disarray - But we as fans know better. I will take a bowl win over Georgia Bulldogs any year, any way I can get it. They will come to play and I hope we do too.

With all due respect, this article means nothing. This is a game that will won or lost on the field of play. nobody knows what is going to happen. We've got a new OC, they've got a new staff. Hack's last game, in all probability. Etc.

Last year, we played our best game in the bowl...lets hope we do this year too.

Reactions: Rick from SC
Outside of the two playoff games, all the bowls are irrelevant and have been for the history of time. Even when there were far fewer bowl games, only one or two really mattered every year.

Yes, exactly. Acting like Georgia was ever playing for more than just pride and their school is idiotic. They aren't playing for anything less than they were before the coaching changes.....it is a really lame pre-game excuse in case they don't win. Classless really.

Maybe the UGA coach will go for it on every 4th down, you know, just to try it out an see if it works. What does he have to lose??

Actually,bowls ARE relevant. They showcase their team for current and future recruits and they motivate the fan base for the next year. Also,ending a season on a winning note sets the stage for the following year.

SEC teams never lose, they just didn't want to be there- or it was too muddy, or something...

This ^^^^. I get that they have some coaching upheaval now, (and more than most), but the SEC fans/ writers alway use this excuse in games they lose or are afraid to lose. They didn't want to be there, it was a rainy/ muddy field which negated their supposed speed advantage, it was meaningless and they didn't really play etc. We saw this after beating LSU a few years ago when they all thought LSU would win. I've read Georgia fans saying this same stuff over the past few years in their bowls as well.

The bottom line is that the kids will play hard and compete because that's what they do. They have pride in their teams and a competitive spirit. Sure, they'd all love to be playing in the national championship but that's not going to change how they play this game.

Someone better forward this article to Las Vegas -- Georgia's still favored to win by 6.5 to 7 points in all 6 services.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT