ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Penn State set to take on Michigan State

The drive after MSU made it 21-16 -- we took it straight down the field passing the ball on 1st down. After the first half, MSU loaded the box outnumbering our run blockers but were taking huge risks in secondary the entire 2nd half. Why we waited until midway through the 4th to begin taking what they were giving us (huge chunk plays in passing game) is quite beyond me. They continued to give us the passing game on the next score.....

Why we waited so long to punish them for the risks they were taking is a bit baffling - it was there the entire second half.
I want to say that was the game last year as well vs them. There secondary was dead last in the big ten but psu kept running up the middle and hardly passing

I won't sit here and say that Sean Clifford doesn't hold back the offense because to a degree he does (he's been fine today) but the offensive line getting little push up front today on the ground is a major reason this is a 21-16 game right now.
OL and Kaytron Allen are unsung heroes. They ground out a lot of 4 yd runs down the stretch.

I never said we weren't going to win. I said we could easily lose that game. And we could have. It's a good thing we have that Defense, because Sean's numbers looked good, but that should never have been a competitive game.
It wasn't directed at you

Reactions: Waltwam
Then why do you watch and post about the games?
Why wouldn't I? It's still college football which I like. It's nice not have meaningful games because I get to watch more of good games like Oregon/Oregon State (even though that was also meaningless)-can't wait for the playoff to expand

I want to say that was the game last year as well vs them. There secondary was dead last in the big ten but psu kept running up the middle and hardly passing

I think they were trying to see if they could still shorten the game grinding out some drives running.... Got no problem with that, but they waited way too long to abandon that plan imho. I mean they scored pretty easily on the drive after MSU made it 21-16.... it was there all half.

Reactions: royboy
Oregon State won that game?!?! Holy Shit! Wahoo!

Now I don’t have to hold my nose and root for Notre Dame.

Remember it could still go
Playoff: Georgia Michigan TCU & USC
Rose: Oregon/Ohio State
Sugar: LSU/Kansas State
Orange: Clemson or UNC/Alabama
Cotton: Tennessee/G5

Not sure why people assume we're a lock right now

AP Preseason rankings:

Michigan State. 15
Penn State -- not in top 25
And we have been hearing how we can’t beat top 20 teams.

We also beat the Big10 West champions on the road and the MAC finalist. A juggernaut of a schedule.

The drive after MSU made it 21-16 -- we took it straight down the field passing the ball on 1st down. After the first half, MSU loaded the box outnumbering our run blockers but were taking huge risks in secondary the entire 2nd half. Why we waited until midway through the 4th to begin taking what they were giving us (huge chunk plays in passing game) is quite beyond me. They continued to give us the passing game on the next score.....

Why we waited so long to punish them for the risks they were taking is a bit baffling - it was there the entire second half.
That drive is the kind of thing we couldn’t do the last couple of years and the whiners on here complained non-stop about it and now we do it (a couple of times this year) and the whiners complain about something else.

Reactions: Frabjous
Remember it could still go
Playoff: Georgia Michigan TCU & USC
Rose: Oregon/Ohio State
Sugar: LSU/Kansas State
Orange: Clemson or UNC/Alabama
Cotton: Tennessee/G5

Not sure why people assume we're a lock right now
Pretty unlikely those hold right now that's why people feel good.

I'd rather not go to a bowl
Other than the additional practices it's pointless
Are you an NFL fan? Do you think it's pointless for a team to make the playoffs if they're not likely to win the superbowl?

Are you an NFL fan? Do you think it's pointless for a team to make the playoffs if they're not likely to win the superbowl?
Yes, I'm an NFL fan
No, the playoffs matter--if you win a bowl game your season is still over. It has no meaning. If you win a playoff game to advance. Don't play stupid

I won't sit here and say that Sean Clifford doesn't hold back the offense because to a degree he does (he's been fine today) but the offensive line getting little push up front today on the ground is a major reason this is a 21-16 game right now.
I think its more accurate to say the offensive line issues and lack of depth/speed at wide receiver have held Clifford back.

Why wouldn't I? It's still college football which I like. It's nice not have meaningful games because I get to watch more of good games like Oregon/Oregon State (even though that was also meaningless)-can't wait for the playoff to expand
Your post is nonsensical. You will criticize Franklin if he losses a "meaningless" game and when he wins, you criticize because the game is meaningless. You obviously care about winning these games or you wouldn't post.

It is meaningful for PSU to be a top 10 or possibly even a top 5 team at the end of the season if you want PSU to jump to the next level. Perception is everything to the top recruits and there is a big difference in being in the top 10 (or top 5) to merely being in the top 25 at the end of the season. In order to start the ball rolling down hill, you need to have seasons like this one and make this type of season the norm. If the team packed it in like you seem to do, our future would not be nearly as bright and promising as it appears to be now.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
Your post is nonsensical. You will criticize Franklin if he losses a "meaningless" game and when he wins, you criticize because the game is meaningless. You obviously care about winning these games or you wouldn't post.

It is meaningful for PSU to be a top 10 or possibly even a top 5 team at the end of the season if you want PSU to jump to the next level. Perception is everything to the top recruits and there is a big difference in being in the top 10 (or top 5) to merely being in the top 25 at the end of the season. In order to start the ball rolling down hill, you need to have seasons like this one and make this type of season the norm. If the team packed it in like you seem to do, our future would not be nearly as bright and promising as it appears to be now.
I won't say a word if we lose by 60 in the bowl game. It's a scrimmage. The season is over for us. We finished with 10 wins and a top 10 ranking. Great year. Hopefully next year we exceed expectations so the last 4 games mean something in the big picture which is contending for a title.

ADVERTISEMENT