ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Penn State vs. Michigan

Just got home but I saw him put Drew Allar and just as I was leaving the restaurant. Why would you put this kid in there to drain his confidence. Nobody on the team was playing football and you're putting a 5 star quarterback in here to make him look stupid. I'm leaning towards changing my opinion on Franklin. He makes decisions that are questionable.. If you look at the star ratings of the player. Michigan and Penn state were very equal . The difference was the coaching at every level. This was not a top 25 team out there today. BOBbwas a much better coach with a lot less talent.
Clifford was hurt. Allar is his backup.

I thought PSU's best chance was to leave their corners on an island, sell out to stop the run and make UM's QB beat them. HOWEVER, 400+ yards rushing by Meatchicken later, I guess I supposed that PSU's defenders would know they had to TACKLE for that to work. Silly me.

I understand now. We have an elite line, but we needed to stack the box.

look. In no way am I implying the MLB’s are good. But the amount of plays Michigan could put an OL on the MLB was astounding. We do not have a big line. And with 4 players it’s not deep. Sean Spencer liked 6-8 deep and guys this size. This doesn’t work without more of them and 300 yards rushing is OL dominance.
4 players? We play 6 deep on the D line. Who here said the D line was elite? That would be you. Blame the D line all you want. The offense was the issue. As well as Diaz.

There certainly needs to be a ‘come to Jesus’ moment with him, the O and D lines, and the coaches. The lack of simple fundamentals like blocking and tackling is ridiculous.

Unfortunately, I don’t see it happening. JF will start quoting some obscure analytic nonsense in his press conference, give non answers, and say we just need to put this game behind us. The problem is he never learns from or corrects the mistakes. He just moves on to Minnesota…Minnesota…Minnesota.

Then we’ll see much of the same nonsense next week.
You're spot on, unfortunately.

Is PSU this bad, is Michigan this good or did the coaching staff just do a terrible job managing the bye week? Or all three?
We are built on speed, not so much on toughness. Basically, we're built to try to hang with Ohio State. Michigan is built more like an 80s Big Ten team. Not a great matchup for us with no depth on the DL and a so-so OL.

I'm just waiting for this explosive offense from Yurcich...

“Obviously”.
"We were outperformed in all facets of the game".

Few First Downs

No sustained DRIVES

No 3rd down or 4th down stops

99 kicks ball out of bounds after we take the lead. 1 play later UM is at midfield

Even our MVP to this point of the season...Barney Amor was below average.

George Plimpton today = Paper Lions

• Sad
Reactions: PSUfiji
Franklin needs to go. Great recruiting, cannot coach worth a damn.
Great recruiter - not sure about that either. He’s a great recruiter if “athletes”, but we saw football players today. His recruiting is very lopsided as well. OL and DL have been severely lacking forever. Except for athletic defensive ends.

"We were outperformed in all facets of the game".

Few First Downs

No sustained DRIVES

No 3rd down or 4th down stops

99 kicks ball out of bounds after we take the lead. 1 play later UM is at midfield

Even our MVP to this point of the season...Barney Amor was below average.

George Plimpton today = Paper Lions
Actually, he averaged 43 yards per punt.

Then you risk him transferring. It's tough but after today Lee needs to be getting more reps.
If he would transfer because of sitting a quarter or whatever to learn and face some hard coaching, then good riddance. We need hard nosed players for a change

When folks go after the punter, you're totally clueless.

Michael Yurcich cannot call a game to save his life.
Indy kept it close with quick passes to the left and right to spread the Michigan defense. I was hoping we would do the same but I didn't count on it.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Great recruiter - not sure about that either. He’s a great recruiter if “athletes”, but we saw football players today. His recruiting is very lopsided as well. OL and DL have been severely lacking forever. Except for athletic defensive ends.
No, he is a phenomenal recruiter. The NFL proves that. He's still fighting demons and that's reality at Penn State.

LB recruiting has been horrible.

Ended up at 418 - probably 3rd all-time? 1997 MSU had 2 200-yd rushers and 452 yards. 1989 ND has 425.
Yep, embarrassing for a Penn State team that once was know for above all else, stopping the run.

• Sad
Bottom line? Our offense is horrible, boring as hell, and completely predictable. We had one pass to a running back and one pass to a tight end. Yurcich sucks. Ricky could game plan and that's a fact. MY is...what's the point. 2 OC's scored points at Penn State, Ricky and Moorhead, that's it.

The folks that constantly ripped on Rahne were ignorant as hell. His game plans were immaculate. The dude knew how to script a game. Yurcich hasn't a damn clue. 2 throws total to rb's and TE's.

Nothing would have changed the outcome but when you are only down by 7 early in the third quarter at around mid-field, please, please don't go for it on 4th and 6. Use your punter who has been other worldly at putting the ball inside the 10 yard line.

Franklin likes sizzle guys over football players.

Reactions: PSUfiji and KCLion
Indy kept it close with quick passes to the left and right to spread the Michigan defense. I was hoping we would do the same but I didn't count on it.
Well, Yurcich is a God. Can you not tell?

This season hits the skids like last season, he’s gone - there’s a rumbling amongst the State College cognoscenti…

Last edited:
Some here are the same folks that constantly ripped on Ricky Rahne as OC. The dude was a fking genius regarding game planning. If you don't know that, it's on you. Ricky was legit and he knows his sh&t. He not only beat VA Tech this year, a joke of a program is now in 2nd place in the Sun Belt.

ADVERTISEMENT