ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Penn State vs. Ohio State

Given the amount of freshman talent seeing the field for PSU.... what they're returning next year.... and how they played for the majority of the game, I have tbh, I'm not all that disappointed in today's result and pretty excited about this team for the future.

Reactions: NCLION
If Allar is as good as hype
we have a great rb in#13
and Singleton will be better

worried about LB and I don’t see a WR on roster next year
maybe we work #18 in more rest of year and get Allar snaps
If Jacobs comes back, together with Carter and the young LB's returning and coming in with the 2023 class, LB will not be a weakness next season.

WR, that looks like another story. KLS at at times looks like he has the size and speed to be a top downfield target, but disappears for long stretches of the games he plays in. Washington is very good, as sure handed as any WR in football, but will he even return for 2023. No one else has stepped up. Wallace, Clifford, ..... The next great PSU WR does not look to be on this year's roster.

The worst part is the defense put up a performance where they could say they were the 1 D to hold an elite Ohio State offense under 30 points... but too many phug ups on O

Reactions: Gnat91
Totally wrong on this. That’s a ball that should not have been thrown. The receiver was two yards down the field. Where is he coming back to?
You keep saying that but it's not true
Watch the play again. The receiver stop, plants his feet and waits for the ball. Clifford immediately tells him he needed to come back to the ball. As did the announcers
Why do people watch football if they don't understand the basic concepts of the sport?

Reactions: thepoop
If Jacobs comes back, together with Carter and the young LB's returning and coming in with the 2023 class, LB will not be a weakness next season.

WR, that looks like another story. KLS at at times looks like he has the size and speed to be a top downfield target, but disappears for long stretches of the games he plays in. Washington is very good, as sure handed as any WR in football, but will he even return for 2023. No one else has stepped up. Wallace, Clifford, ..... The next great PSU WR does not look to be on this year's roster.

Need to find a shartsplosive WR in the portal

I agree. Front 7 is too weak. But Harrison still had by far his best game of the year against us.
All day to throw made it easy to get open. Not to mention playing ten yards off. The PennState blitz that never gets there makes it hard to cover any good receiver.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Someone has to help me understand why our Players either look like NFL caliber or not even belonging in D1. You have guys like 3, 23, 13, 11, 97, 16, 9. All NFL caliber. Then you have 20, 0, 43, 72, 79. They all look like they don’t belong on the field.

Reactions: royboy
PSU had more yards and more 1st downs. But we had 4 turnovers and got none.

Passing on the FG didn't help.

Losing the TO battle 4-0 was the difference. All of PSU's turnovers were on their own side of the field - three of them deep in our territory.

Watch the play again. The receiver stop, plants his feet and waits for the ball. Clifford immediately tells him he needed to come back to the ball. As did the announcers
Why do people watch football if they don't understand the basic concepts of the sport?
And when he comes back and catches it he’s either tackled immediately for no gain or he’s down just from body position based on where the ball was placed. There was no way he was catching that and turning it upfield. So why throw a ball that under no circumstance is going to result in the first down?

Even if true. Clifford is staring at him. Should of known it would be at best short. All on Clifford x4.

And when he comes back and catches it he’s either tackled immediately for no gain or he’s down just from body position based on where the ball was placed. So why throw a ball that under no circumstance is going to result in the first down?
You're blaming the pick on Clifford. The pick wasn't on him. Break a tackle like Parker did multiple times.

Even if true. Clifford is staring at him. Should of known it would be at best short. All on Clifford x4.
The pick isn't on him--it isn't. And the fact you can't comprehend that means you waste time watching the sport because you have no clue what's happening. Learn the game if you're going to watch on comment on it.

You can stay i would have lead to a punt but the pick is not on Clifford. Nor is the fumble. Hell, even the last pick was about a RT being abused but you can't see that. You blame the QB like you probably blame the goalie in hockey because you don't know better.

Reactions: thepoop
The pick isn't on him--it isn't. And the fact you can't comprehend that means you waste time watching the sport because you have no clue what's happening. Learn the game if you're going to watch on comment on it.

You can stay i would have lead to a punt but the pick is not on Clifford. Nor is the fumble. Hell, even the last pick was about a RT being abused but you can't see that. You blame the QB like you probably blame the goalie in hockey because you don't know better.
It would be more fair to say 2 of the 4 are on SC. You are not beating top 10 teams when your 6th year QB turns it over even 2X. Better QB play is needed to get where fans want to go in this conference.

Look Clifford has been here six years
This is his ceiling
Gutsy good kid but to robotic in clutch and turnover prone

If Franklin is smart you start preparing for next year now
Allar needs to play
I like what I see of #18, has some speed

no Allar as a fresh doesn’t win this game but we have to have an eye on next year

Reactions: PSUfiji
I can't say this was on JF. You can not turn the ball over 4X from a 6th year QB and blitz as much as they did not D.
No, but you can sit the turnover machine 6th year QB and play a more talented, younger player that may not just throw into the hands of a DE 6 times a game......... And Franklin's refusal to sit upper classman players for more talented young players is a fault that the best coaches, like Ryan Day, don't continue to exhibit.

I'll give Franklin some credit for finally moving Jacobs back to Sam and starting Carter at Will. But it took him too long, as everone that watched a PSU game from the first game of the season knew Sutherland was not a starting B10 LB, not to mention his attempts to play LB last season.

With a full off season after this year of sorting things out, I look for Diaz to field a more consistent LB unit next season built around Carter and Jacobs. King should improve, and he has a couple top LB players coming in the 2023 class. Hope they enroll in January......

Last edited:
Look Clifford has been here six years
This is his ceiling
Gutsy good kid but to robotic in clutch and turnover prone

If Franklin is smart you start preparing for next year now
Allar needs to play
I like what I see of #18, has some speed

no Allar as a fresh doesn’t win this game but we have to have an eye on next year
Thats no an unfair take. I don't see any game they can not win the rest of the way with DA, so I think they have to go with DA the rest of the way for the future of the program. JF has been more than fair to SC.

Time to rename Clifford to TOM = Turn Over Machine.

Why can’t this team put a plan together against the top teams for 60 minutes? it’s like a bad rerun ever friggin year.

Blame 1 & 4 on him and give him some blame for 3 if you want but 2 wasn't on him

Cliff is not very good at throwing the short ball from the pocket with DL (often with a blocker on them) in-between him and the intended receiver (be it a screen-pass or short outlet pass). He does several really bad things consistently: i) he stares down the intended screen/outlet way too long before he actually delivers the ball to the point where he draws defenders to his target before he actually throws it, ii) his starring down the intended target also is a tell to the rushing DL such that they are merely waiting for him to go into his delivery to time their attempted block of his pass (even when the DL have a blocker on them, they know exactly when to go up with their hands and try to get their hands on the ball) and lastly (and extremely importantly), he throws these screens and outlet passes way, way too flat, allowing the DL to easily get their hands on the ball.

The end result is that Cliff gets way too many batted balls where DL/Rushers get their hands on Cliff's throws - count the number of extremely short passes today where duhO$U DL/Rushers got their hands on the ball - it's insane and happens way too often. Just happens over and over and over....etc....

It would be more fair to say 2 of the 4 are on SC. You are not beating top 10 teams when your 6th year QB turns it over even 2X. Better QB play is needed to get where fans want to go in this conference.
Right--I agree with this but people are literally ignoring mistakes and the flaws of others to support a narrative that doesn't need misinformation.

Cliff is not very good at throwing the short ball from the pocket with DL (often with a blocker on them) in-between him and the intended receiver (be it a screen-pass or short outlet pass). He does several really bad things consistently: i) he stares down the intended screen/outlet way too long before he actually delivers the ball to the point where he draws defenders to his target before he actually throws it, ii) his starring down the intended target also is a tell to the rushing DL such that they are merely waiting for him to go into his delivery to time their attempted block of his pass (even when the DL have a blocker on them, they know exactly when to go up with their hands and try to get their hands on the ball) and lastly (and extremely importantly), he throws these screens and outlet passes way, way too flat, allowing the DL to easily get their hands on the ball.

The end result is that Cliff gets way too many batted balls where DL/Rushers get their hands on Cliff's throws - count the number of extremely short passes today where duhO$U DL/Rushers got their hands on the ball - it's insane and happens way too often. Just happens over and over and over....etc....
Astute observation.

A lot to talk about but just one point…there’s absolutely no way Dixon should be in and K King on the bench with 5:00 min left and the game hanging in the balance. It can’t happen. Brutal over rotation.

Reactions: Beaver-Stadium
Astute observation.
He also has an absurdly slow "release" on top of all that... a really leathal combination of bad things (his release is long & loopy.... you really see it when you watch Aller throw it.... when Aller needs to get the ball out of there, he gets it out quick).

Given the amount of freshman talent seeing the field for PSU.... what they're returning next year.... and how they played for the majority of the game, I have tbh, I'm not all that disappointed in today's result and pretty excited about this team for the future.
Yes there were many positives from some of the younger players but we continue to have issues with size on the lines as well as depth. S & C needs reevaluation.

Totally wrong on this. That’s a ball that should not have been thrown. The receiver was two yards down the field. Where is he coming back to?

Harrison is probably the best WR in college football. Great route runner, strong, fast, great hands and superior in his body position.
Agree. My problem is with our strategy of leaving him with single coverage most of the game.

Our defensive strategy is clear. Bring pressure from all directions all game long. Go for explosive plays like sacks, fumbles, and interceptions. That's why the middle of the field was wide open. That's why OSU converted on 3rd and long when we still had a chance (Carter blitz, 1st down pass to the spot he vacated.

We have good DBs so that strategy often works against weaker opponents. It's different when you're facing Stroud & Harrison. I think sometimes you need LBs in the middle of the field and a safety to help a corner. That's not how Franklin or Diaz play.

Reactions: manilion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT