ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Steen

Believe it. 135 is not big for a D1 125 at all and probably below average. This is not HS. At the lighter weights, I think a lot of people on this board would be surprised at how much wrestlers pull on a regular basis - even at PSU.

There is a LOT of incentive to compete at the end of the bell curve - even if you have someone like Spencer in the weight class. And a lot of guys are able to manage it enough to justify the performance trade-off in terms of risk-reward.
My brother wrestled 118 in college and weighed 150 in the off season. He wrestled in the mid 80s, so I guess there was wrestling before 2010?! Who knew.

Last edited:
I would have finished 2nd as a team in IM track two years at PSU (100/LJ/400). Luckily our shot put guy got the 2nd place points to get us to first one year. I was a “member” of the winning IM wrestling team, but I won’t take credit for much more than moral support on that title.

Being a B1G wrestler AT ALL is hard AF. Steen is a two time PIAA state champ, and we're talking about him like he's the black sheep of PSU wrestling. TWO TIME STATE CHAMP and it doesn't translate to winning in this conference. There are 10 B1G wrestlers in the top 20 in the country at 125. We're splitting hairs about who is getting what points at nationals, but the discussion is all relative. I think everyone here recognizes that you're not even going out there on the mat in this conference unless you are really, really, REALLY good.
Exactly. I took 4th at regional my senior year and made it to Hershey and I was a DAMN good wrestler...I not only didn't wrestle at PSU but I didn't even wrestle intermurals like u guys did.
And I was Good..did not suck. Meanwhile Gary is 2 TIME PIAA CHAMPION and he has a below .500 overall record and I'm saying it is not just the Big Ten but ALL of college wrestling that is hyper competitive...taking a closer look at what it takes just to win...forget about qualify for NC AAs or much less scoring a couple points at them....this underscores just how unreal this dynastic program has been the past 10 years.

Reactions: APSPSUwrestlingfan
Gary is 2 TIME PIAA CHAMPION and he has a below .500 overall record and I'm saying it is not just the Big Ten but ALL of college wrestling that is hyper competitive...
Mason Manville had a much better HS career, and was a spot starter at PSU. That's how it goes in this sport sometimes.

Reactions: js8793
Exactly. I took 4th at regional my senior year and made it to Hershey and I was a DAMN good wrestler...I not only didn't wrestle at PSU but I didn't even wrestle intermurals like u guys did.
And I was Good..did not suck. Meanwhile Gary is 2 TIME PIAA CHAMPION and he has a below .500 overall record and I'm saying it is not just the Big Ten but ALL of college wrestling that is hyper competitive...taking a closer look at what it takes just to win...forget about qualify for NC AAs or much less scoring a couple points at them....this underscores just how unreal this dynastic program has been the past 10 years.
It’s gotten to the point where future PSU wrestlers are TOO GOOD for HS wrestling at all and instead spend their final year of high school training with Olympic gold medalists.

I do my best work in the morning.
teeing up @amattaro
giphy.gif

Damn. I called in a night an hour before.

Working at home makes a man completely feral.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
It is what it is. He is currently a very good solid 118 pounder. Unfortunately there is no 118 weight class so he is forced to wrestle up a weight. If and when he can add 7 good pounds to become a 125 pounder, then look out. That'll take 2 years though.
Joking but I wish it took me two years to gain seven pounds versus one thanksgiving weekend 😂

Joking but I wish it took me two years to gain seven pounds versus one thanksgiving weekend 😂
I thought his match against the Rutgers kid was fascinating...how in the HELL did that Rutgers kid look 20 pounds heavier than Gary, given that we were informed that Gary in fact weighs 135 pounds?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT