ADVERTISEMENT

GE divestiture...

Hugh Manatee

May 29, 2001
Central Florida
Anyone else spending their last day as a GE Transportation employee today? I’ve been with GETS for 15 years and it’s been a great place to work (if you’re not too interested in the stock price). It will be weird not having the Mother ship hovering overhead, but I think change is good in this case. It was a good ride, but am looking forward to the new opportunity.

Anyone else spending their last day as a GE Transportation employee today? I’ve been with GETS for 15 years and it’s been a great place to work (if you’re not too interested in the stock price). It will be weird not having the Mother ship hovering overhead, but I think change is good in this case. It was a good ride, but am looking forward to the new opportunity.

Good luck in whatever comes next!

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
I grew up in the "brick jungle" across the street (and Four Mile Creek) from the Erie plant. Best of luck moving forward, Hugh.

I know someone who works for GETS. He has been there for over 20 years. It's really sad what upper management has done to GE. I hope you guys prosper under the new owner.

I worked at the plant in Erie in low level management for several years and it was not an enjoyable place to work.

Best of luck. Really a shame what’s happened to GE’s status overall.

Hugh, I am 41 year GE vet. Moved 10 times . Worked in Erie 3 times in seventies, eighties and nineties. GE, Erie included, was one of the most exciting companies in the world to work for. You worked very hard but in most cases felt very good about your accomplishments.

Having said that, Hugh, there is a bright future after GE. Depending on your area of specialty, there is a good chance that your skills are very marketable, and in some cases very unique. All you have to decide is how much risk to take.

For example, are you willing to do something different that you have ever done before?

Are you willing to move out of Erie (Many say no). Are you willing to move 500 miles or more? (For me that was always a big question. Being a season ticket holder since 1976, I never wanted to move more that an 8 hour drive from the stadium).

Best wishes, Hugh, as you plan your next step.

Best of luck to you. I took your post as meaning you were still employed, but naturally have some trepidation and excitement over the new ownership. Is that correct?

Best of luck to you. I took your post as meaning you were still employed, but naturally have some trepidation and excitement over the new ownership. Is that correct?

I don't think anyone is losing their jobs, they will just be changing ownership. The problem is that the employees just don't what to expect with the new owners.

GE however was kinda circling the drain due to massive mismanagement in other divisions. So it may turn out to better for them as GETS was always profitable.

Reactions: diontechristmas
Sad, I was just visiting some of the Engineering offices a few months ago, and to know what this place once was and now what it is, just sad. Man, Erie just keeps taking hits, Hammermill, Lord, GETS, its a shame.

Reactions: Meteor-Lion
Oddly enough, Wabtec was my first job out of college, at Wilmerding. Here I am 22 years later becoming an employee again.
Quite simply, I wish you the best. I have been in your shoes and understand. We deal a little bit with WBTEC at my place of employment. Prior to the recent acquisition/merger/assumption of debt/whateveryouwanttocallit, they have been outsourcing manufacturing to India and S. Africa. There is a disruptive technological event happening there as the industry moves more towards "fly by wire" vs. analog/mechanical means of instrumentation feedback (for lack of a better analogy). Again, Good Luck!

Reactions: Zenophile
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT