ADVERTISEMENT

Going forward, QB in 2023

republion

Mar 24, 2009
The last thing I want to do is be critical of a young kid attending college and giving it his all. However, this is the nature of college football and fans on message boards. Let’s talk about Drew Allar.

Admittedly, I’m simply an armchair QB who only played ball in high school and wasn’t even very good. Furthermore, I don’t have a coach’s eye or mindset when it comes to evaluating talent. That being said, what has Drew shown this season that gives us reason to believe we are going to improve the QB position next season? Aside from every announcer telling us what a rocket arm he has and how good he is, I simply haven’t seen anything special from him, and he did get a decent amount of time to showcase his talent, if only in mop up situations. I’m not saying he stunk. I’m just saying - my eye didn’t see anything jump off the screen screaming “I CAN’T WAIT FOR THIS KID TO TAKE OVER THE REIGNS.”

Someone please give me hope and educate me on how wrong I am. Explain to me that next year we will see a major improvement at the QB position. I’m not talking 2024, I'm talking 2023.

The last thing I want to do is be critical of a young kid attending college and giving it his all. However, this is the nature of college football and fans on message boards. Let’s talk about Drew Allar.

Admittedly, I’m simply an armchair QB who only played ball in high school and wasn’t even very good. Furthermore, I don’t have a coach’s eye or mindset when it comes to evaluating talent. That being said, what has Drew shown this season that gives us reason to believe we are going to improve the QB position next season? Aside from every announcer telling us what a rocket arm he has and how good he is, I simply haven’t seen anything special from him, and he did get a decent amount of time to showcase his talent, if only in mop up situations. I’m not saying he stunk. I’m just saying - my eye didn’t see anything jump off the screen screaming “I CAN’T WAIT FOR THIS KID TO TAKE OVER THE REIGNS.”

Someone please give me hope and educate me on how wrong I am. Explain to me that next year we will see a major improvement at the QB position. I’m not talking 2024, I'm talking 2023.
His throw that Warren dropped in his first appearance tells you all you need to know. Cliff didn't make that throw in 6 years. Yes, Allar has a rocket, but his touch is uncanny for a young man his age. As long as MY stays he will be very special.

Haha. No, not at all. I’m just asking someone, anyone, to educate my pea sized little brain.
The short answer is he isn't considered a savior by fans based on what we've seen, it's based on his high school performance and recruiting rankings. Which is why the calls for him to start over Clifford were stupid, he hasn't demonstrated publicly that he's better. He's has some really nice throws and some that weren't very good, in extremely limited playing time. Only the coaches really know at this point because they are the ones seeing what he can do in practice.

His throw that Warren dropped in his first appearance tells you all you need to know. Cliff didn't make that throw in 6 years. Yes, Allar has a rocket, but his touch is uncanny for a young man his age. As long as MY stays he will be very special.
I don’t recall that particular throw. Let’s hope he is special.

Reactions: Texas Lion
The short answer is he isn't considered a savior by fans based on what we've seen, it's based on his high school performance and recruiting rankings. Which is why the calls for him to start over Clifford were stupid, he hasn't demonstrated publicly that he's better. He's has some really nice throws and some that weren't very good, in extremely limited playing time. Only the coaches really know at this point because they are the ones seeing what he can do in practice.
Thanks. I get the recruiting rankings and high school stuff. As someone who does not follow recruiting, every time I get excited about a QB prospect, I think of Hack.

He also only got 1 series with the 1's all year I believe.

Agreed. I recall the Blue/White game where on the run he threw an absolute rope from the 20ish yard line out of the end zone. It was too high but his arm strength is phenomenal. I mean, like one of the strongest arms I've seen. He's displayed some good running skills and pocket presence. He's also made some throws where he put air under the ball to try and drop it in which is unusual for stong armed kids that typically just think to drill the ball at all times.

I'd also say that he make significant strides from B/W game to his play against Purdue. He's got good presence and command. I don't know how much more upside he has to grow. But he's also 6-5 and 240+.

He's got the stuff that can't be taught. You have it or you don't.

I don't know if he can make the short, medium and long throws. Hack simply couldn't throw the short throws. SC can't throw the long ball very well. We also don't know what he's like under considerable pressure against a top notch team like tOSU or UM. He played well against Purdue in tough circumstances.

Other than that, the coaches see him practice and we don't. They compare him to the other kids in camp and previous kids that they've had. I have not heard a single negative statement other than he is yound and needs reps.

Reactions: scbob and republion
I watched a podcast on youtube from either bwi or 247pennstate and they said Allar hadn't performed that well in practice compared to how he played in the first couple of games he saw playing time. Remember, he wasn't a phenom 5* QB until his senior year in H.S. So, he probably still has some football maturing to do yet. I agree that he didn't look polished most of the time when he saw playing time this season. I think 2023 will be a growth year for him with some good and bad games and a lot of PSU fans will be upset and disappointed because of that. If he turns out to be a QB that can get PSU to the final 4, I predict it won't be until 2024.

I watched a podcast on youtube from either bwi or 247pennstate and they said Allar hadn't performed that well in practice compared to how he played in the first couple of games he saw playing time. Remember, he wasn't a phenom 5* QB until his senior year in H.S. So, he probably still has some football maturing to do yet. I agree that he didn't look polished most of the time when he saw playing time this season. I think 2023 will be a growth year for him with some good and bad games and a lot of PSU fans will be upset and disappointed because of that. If he turns out to be a QB that can get PSU to the final 4, I predict it won't be until 2024.
He went to a public school that was not known for their football. The good schools in Ohio are almost all Catholic Schools (Ignatius, St. Eds [who is playing for the state championship next week for the second consecutive state title), Hogan, Moeller, Toledo Central Catholic, or inner-city schools like Glenville/Massilon. Medina is a wealthy suburb of Clevelands.

tOSU had their kid and didn't recruited Allar until their kid recommitted and decided to go someplace else. By then it was too late.

But you are correct, he had a good Jr. season. But his senior season was otherworldly and they lost in the regional semi-finals to Cleveland St. Eds who ended up winning the state championship. St. Eds line was unreal last year and this. I know a kid that is 6-5, 245 TE and left the program his Sr. year because they wanted him to play DE as they had a TE, also a Jr., who was bigger and better. He ended up on a full scholarship with a smaller division school.

Reactions: republion

Fans are excited about Allar for a few reasons. One is that he was a 5* recruit. I'm not sure that's worth anything at this point. Another is his arm strength. That's apparent from watching him in limited action. He's very strong and seems to be able to sidearm throws to get them past rushing defenders. He's also big and strong. So I think there are a lot of reasons to be excited. That said, we won't know how well he can handle the pressure at this level until he's started a few games. The "IT" factor is half the battle and we'll have to wait and see how he does.

Clifford was half a second slow with some of his passes. I think that was because he was worried about turnovers. Coaches say go fast but don't hurry. Will Allar have that ability? Does he have the instincts and confidence? We'll see. We know he has the arm and the size.

Fans are excited about Allar for a few reasons. One is that he was a 5* recruit. I'm not sure that's worth anything at this point. Another is his arm strength. That's apparent from watching him in limited action. He's very strong and seems to be able to sidearm throws to get them past rushing defenders. He's also big and strong. So I think there are a lot of reasons to be excited. That said, we won't know how well he can handle the pressure at this level until he's started a few games. The "IT" factor is half the battle and we'll have to wait and see how he does.

Clifford was half a second slow with some of his passes. I think that was because he was worried about turnovers. Coaches say go fast but don't hurry. Will Allar have that ability? Does he have the instincts and confidence? We'll see. We know he has the arm and the size.
Agreed. And lets face it, we haven't had a highly recruited QB since Hackenberg. We haven't had a great QB since Kerry Collins. Really, the difference between PSU and tOSU since Hackenberg (and probably before) is QB.

Thanks. I get the recruiting rankings and high school stuff. As someone who does not follow recruiting, every time I get excited about a QB prospect, I think of Hack.
I saw both Allar and Hack play a game in high school….Allar threw it all over the field and looked like the one of the best high school QB’s I have seen. Hack looked average at best. One game is a very small sample I know, but one looked like a world beater and one didn’t. So getting a five star QB that showed his value in high school is one reason people are excited.

I saw both Allar and Hack play a game in high school….Allar threw it all over the field and looked like the one of the best high school QB’s I have seen. Hack looked average at best. One game is a very small sample I know, but one looked like a world beater and one didn’t. So getting a five star QB that showed his value in high school is one reason people are excited.
It is rare to make the playoff with medicore QB play......McCarthy, Dugan, and Willimas have been elite and I believe Bennett has been pretty damn good as well.

It is rare to make the playoff with medicore QB play......McCarthy, Dugan, and Willimas have been elite and I believe Bennett has been pretty damn good as well.
Unless you have an incredible OLine, great RB’s, great receivers and a lock down defense, a mediocre QB isn’t going to make it.

Hack and Morelli were rated higher by 247
Hack was pretty good his first two years. As a true Frosh he did great. And who can forget that incredible 4 OT win? The drive to tie it up was a QB clinic. I don't know what happened to him after that. I am sure some was his but Donovan wasn't a great OC. Hell, he sucked.

Hack was pretty good his first two years. As a true Frosh he did great. And who can forget that incredible 4 OT win? The drive to tie it up was a QB clinic. I don't know what happened to him after that. I am sure some was his but Donovan wasn't a great OC. Hell, he sucked.
How do we explain his 4 team washout in the NFL and even the "Memphis Express?"
It might surprise people that every year Cliff started his QB rating was higher than Hack's best.

Last edited:
Clifford’s stats were better his first year than Hack’s were in his first year or second year.

I think Allar is destined to be very good. I'm not sure any mere mortal could ever be good enough to justify all the crap that went down this year. At 6-2 fanboys wanted to tank the season because Allar needed experience.

How do we explain his 4 team washout in the NFL and even the "Memphis Express?"
It might surprise people that every year Cliff started his QB rating was higher than Hack's best.
Hack washed out of the NFL because he was less developed leaving Penn State than when he got there. That takes a special kind of incompetence on Franklin's part. Of, and he had a wrecked throwing shoulder.

Hack washed out of the NFL because he was less developed leaving Penn State than when he got there. That takes a special kind of incompetence on Franklin's part. Of, and he had a wrecked throwing shoulder.
Of course. LOL Hack was lousy here and worse in the NFL.
Completion percentage in high school .518 55TD's 33 interceptions
college .561 48TDs 31 interceptions
Let's put to rest the legend of Hack....LOL

I’m optimistic for the mid to long term, but Allar still has a lot to learn. He’s got all the physical talent and seemed poised when he has played. But there will likely be a few deer in headlights moments early next season as he grows in confidence and is asked to perform within the whole playbook. Should be fun to watch him improve week to week and I’m sure most everyone here believes that by this time next season he’ll be making some plays that we have not seen made recently.

Reactions: 81b&w and republion
Trevor Lawrence’s stats as a true freshman were light years ahead of Hack’s….so apparently O’Brien must have failed in his development of Hack.

ADVERTISEMENT