ADVERTISEMENT

Good game, Nits

NOVABuck45

Jun 25, 2022
I picked PSU against the spread for this reason. I freakin hate playing in Happy Valley -- night time, day time, whatever. Maybe when we go divisionless, we won't have to play you every year.

Your crowd is the best in college football, per usual. Your offensive game plan was terrific -- obviously Clifford's INTs were killer, but getting the ball out to the perimeter was the right move. Yurcich called a solid game, I thought. Ultimately our OL held up in pass coverage just enough, but I was impressed by your DL -- I didn't think your DL would challenge us much, but they sure as hell did. Our run game sucked.

I thought Franklin made a mistake not kicking the FG after halftime, but whatever. Probably didn't influence the game at all. I thought Day made a similar mistake with that crap right before the half. Not the best coached game by either side, but all in all, a much closer game than the scoreboard suggested. Thankfully for us, JTT had his coming out party. His ceiling is higher than the Bosa brothers.

You'll go 10-2 and get a solid bowl. Best of luck to your team -- as always, you had us nervous.

I picked PSU against the spread for this reason. I freakin hate playing in Happy Valley -- night time, day time, whatever. Maybe when we go divisionless, we won't have to play you every year.

Your crowd is the best in college football, per usual. Your offensive game plan was terrific -- obviously Clifford's INTs were killer, but getting the ball out to the perimeter was the right move. Yurcich called a solid game, I thought. Ultimately our OL held up in pass coverage just enough, but I was impressed by your DL -- I didn't think your DL would challenge us much, but they sure as hell did. Our run game sucked.

I thought Franklin made a mistake not kicking the FG after halftime, but whatever. Probably didn't influence the game at all. I thought Day made a similar mistake with that crap right before the half. Not the best coached game by either side, but all in all, a much closer game than the scoreboard suggested. Thankfully for us, JTT had his coming out party. His ceiling is higher than the Bosa brothers.

You'll go 10-2 and get a solid bowl. Best of luck to your team -- as always, you had us nervous.
I don’t think we are well coached and that is why will not go 10-2. All due respect, we hung with you for 3 quarters, but we really are miles behind in total roster talent. Too many holes.

I don’t think we are well coached and that is why will not go 10-2. All due respect, we hung with you for 3 quarters, but we really are miles behind in total roster talent. Too many holes.
We don't have to be well coached to go 10-2 with this schedule

Reactions: blair10
You aren't a Penn St fan.
You keep saying that simply because I don't pretend college football (or sports in general) is something different at Penn State. It's about winning.

And we don't need to be well-coached with this schedule. We're in the 4th strongest conference that has 2 elite teams and us this year that even have a pulse.

You keep saying that simply because I don't pretend college football (or sports in general) is something different at Penn State. It's about winning.
No, a number of posters have come to the conclusion that you are not a PSU and have called this out. Just be honest.

Reactions: 81b&w
No, a number of posters have come to the conclusion that you are not a PSU and have called this out. Just be honest.
I am. You don't think I am because I don't tolerate mediocrity and I comprehend that Paterno sold us on Penn State being different so we'd accept down years. I'm simply just not naïve or brainwashed. The goal is to be Georgia, Ohio State and Alabama.

I am. You don't think I am because I don't tolerate mediocrity and I comprehend that Paterno sold us on Penn State being different so we'd accept down years. I'm simply just not naïve or brainwashed. The goal is to be Georgia, Ohio State and Alabama.
No. Every post of yours is meant to diminish PSU. Lots of posters have noted it. You are not only not a PSU fan but you are also a dishonest person.

No. Every post of yours is meant to diminish PSU. Lots of posters have noted it. You are not only not a PSU fan but you are also a dishonest person.
lol diminish...I said all year they'd go 10-2 and blowout teams like Auburn. When we only beat NW I defended Franklin and the team due to the weather. The reason you and others don't believe I'm a Penn State fan is you think we all need to be holier than thou and criticize other programs to be a fan. You're wrong. Paterno is dead. Move on.

First indication, our best player today was Washington. He would be lucky to play special teams at OSU.
Porter was probably our best player today but point taken although Washington was better than any Ohio State receiver not named Harrison today.

First indication, our best player today was Washington. He would be lucky to play special teams at OSU.
Maybe, but that dude is a player. He doesn't have the NFL profile that Marvin Harrison Jr. has, but he was the best WR performer of the day. I really only had one major fear coming into today's game from a PSU offense perspective, and it was Washington against our CBs. He's a stud.

I was a bit miffed at why you all didn't run the ball more on 2nd and medium/short after getting 5-7 yards rushing on 1st down.

And we don't need to be well-coached with this schedule. We're in the 4th strongest conference that has 2 elite teams and us this year that even have a pulse.
4TH sTRONGEST. LOL LOL LOL - You just embarrassed yourself with that statement. .

4TH sTRONGEST. LOL LOL LOL - You just embarrassed yourself with that statement. .
We went over this last week
The Big Ten is rated 4th this year in RPI behind the Big XII and Pac XII. The Big Ten literally has 3 teams and maybe Illinois that are even decent. After that it's Maryland and Purdue. The Big Ten is top-heavy. Look at our schedule. Tell me who our best win is so far...Ohio? Purdue?

Maybe, but that dude is a player. He doesn't have the NFL profile that Marvin Harrison Jr. has, but he was the best WR performer of the day. I really only had one major fear coming into today's game from a PSU offense perspective, and it was Washington against our CBs. He's a stud.

I was a bit miffed at why you all didn't run the ball more on 2nd and medium/short after getting 5-7 yards rushing on 1st down.
Washington has been up and down.

I think our run game can be predictable. Not by me, but by the opponent.

Aside from the final score every year except the miracle in 2016. First indication, our best player today was Washington. He would be lucky to play special teams at OSU.
And that statement alone proves you are a fool unworthy of anyones time.

Last edited:
JTT had his coming out party. His ceiling is higher than the Bosa brothers.

That's scary.

We played about as well as we could considering our DL is average. They did very well against the run save for 2 plays, but zero pass rush without bringing LBs and DBs. And those 2 plays were worth 14 points.

That's scary.

We played about as well as we could considering our DL is average. They did very well against the run save for 2 plays, but zero pass rush without bringing LBs and DBs. And those 2 plays were worth 14 points.
It’s not accurate. He looked good against an O line that has struggled all season, against the weakest part of the line, and a line playing without two significant players.

It’s not accurate. He looked good against an O line that has struggled all season, against the weakest part of the line, and a line playing without two significant players.

Perhaps it was hyperbole, but he had a dominant performance today.

Our team is soft. I doubt we will win out…one or maybe two losses yet on the regular slate.

Penn State is a mere shell of what our program once was or could be.

Good luck in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Really? We put up more offensive yardage than duhO$U - we outgained duhO$U 482 to 452. But for the 4 turnovers which gave duhO$U 20 points, we probably win the game.
We still would have managed to lose that game without the turnovers. O$U would have scored on longer fields. Our D was so out of sorts at the end they were scoring at will no matter where they got the ball and it was not going to take them long. Maybe it would have taken a final 2 minute drive but I think it was inevitable that they win.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule

He was the #1 recruit in the 2021 class until Quinn Ewers declassified. He has Joey Bosa's size (he's already ~280lbs) and has Nick Bosa's speed and athleticism. He was also a high-level TE prospect and a really good basketball player in the Seattle area -- his athleticism is off the charts for a guy that goes 6'6 275.

So yeah, I stand by what I say. Not until today did JT's pressure actually get home. He's been wrecking QB pockets all year, but QBs have game-planned for him and they've been getting the ball out quick -- which forces either poor throws or short gains.

He may never have Bosa's NFL success (very few do), but the ceiling is higher......if he plays to his potential.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Our team is soft. I doubt we will win out…one or maybe two losses yet on the regular slate.

Penn State is a mere shell of what our program once was or could be.

Good luck in the playoffs.

Nah.

You guys are harder on Penn State than an outside observer, IMO.

Franklin can't win big games, and that's concerning. But he always has PSU ready to play against us, and while the turnovers and some playcalling doomed you, it wasn't being "soft". I thought you were damn tough on the line of scrimmage, particularly in the run game (both sides of the ball). Just so happens that a uber-talented freak who will probably be a top-5 pick in the 2024 NFL draft took over. That's not because you're soft as much as it is JT is special.

You'll finish 10-2. It's possible that Maryland could jump up and beat you, but I doubt it. You all have handled business against Maryland quite well, minus the COVID year.

10-2 and a solid bowl game. Not satisfying since you didn't win the two big games, but a damn good year for a team that wasn't ranked in the preseason.

I spent a good bit of my day yesterday tailgating with and then sitting next to traveling Buckeye fans. (My season tickets are in the upper deck end zone next to where the visiting team fans fill in.)

I had a good time with them. Only saw one person get a little ugly and even those Buckeye fans around him were annoyed by him.

Appreciate the kudos but the bucks won only because of #44 otherwise they looked rather pedestrian and rather soft. That doesn’t bode well vs. scUM.

It took one of the single greatest defensive lineman performances ever to win. Pure and simple. The Bucks are always human in the Beav and boy were they yesterday but for one player.

Impressed with the toughness of your team and just about everything connected to Penn State. Disagree with your statement. It was more than “one” player. Stroud had a near perfect game. There was a dude named Harrison out there. A number of other defenders as well. I get you don’t like OSU, but don’t be silly. You should take pride in how well your team did and build on that

Appreciate the kudos but the bucks won only because of #44 otherwise they looked rather pedestrian and rather soft. That doesn’t bode well vs. scUM.

It took one of the single greatest defensive lineman performances ever to win. Pure and simple. The Bucks are always human in the Beav and boy were they yesterday but for one player.

True, but that "one player" is a big part of the defense -- that's why we recruited him. It's like saying Tennessee only beat Alabama because of Jalin Hyatt.

5* future NFL 1st rounders like JT are difference makers. We probably don't win the 2018 game without Chase Young. When playing in a tough environment against a really good team, sometimes you need somebody to step up and win it. That's what JT did for us.

I'd also note that even given JT's effort, it took CJ and MH Jr. and Cade Stover to get that win, too. CJ probably didn't move the Heisman needle, but he made very, very few mistakes and made big throws when it mattered.

We absolutely could have lost that game. A testament to your team.

Last edited:

Lol..
Pedestrian and soft....what does PSU look like then? PSU fans struggle and labor to give other programs (especially those WAY above ours) any credit. We could only dream of being where OSU is

Lol..
Pedestrian and soft....what does PSU look like then? PSU fans struggle and labor to give other programs (especially those WAY above ours) any credit. We could only dream of being where OSU is

I don't think either team was "soft" yesterday. That gets thrown around a lot by fans, but I don't think it's fair. A player making some mistakes or a kid missing an assignment doesn't make them "soft".

Now, I think there's legit concern that OSU lacks the same physicality it had during the Tressel or Urb years. One could argue that Ryan Day is more Chip Kelly than Urban Meyer, and our inability to run the football has reared its ugly head again. That is concerning given how Michigan is playing these days.

But "soft" isn't really fair. For either team. "Soft" is Wake Forest or Syracuse or Oklahoma.

I don't think either team was "soft" yesterday. That gets thrown around a lot by fans, but I don't think it's fair. A player making some mistakes or a kid missing an assignment doesn't make them "soft".

Now, I think there's legit concern that OSU lacks the same physicality it had during the Tressel or Urb years. One could argue that Ryan Day is more Chip Kelly than Urban Meyer, and our inability to run the football has reared its ugly head again. That is concerning given how Michigan is playing these days.

But "soft" isn't really fair. For either team. "Soft" is Wake Forest or Syracuse or Oklahoma.
Appreciate your well thought out and lucid response. Always nice to have civil conversations with fans from other schools. Plz ignore some on here who give off this homer/fanboy vibe that can't see the forest for the trees.

Yeah. The 2nd down play selection was head scratching for sure all game

Reactions: johnmpsu
Stroud had a near perfect game.
Wait wait wait--no he didn't. Even toward the end of the game the announcers said something along the lines you look down and Stroud has an impressive stat line but he would be the first to tell you he can play much better. Stroud was far from great let alone perfect yesterday. Look beyond the numbers

Wait wait wait--no he didn't. Even toward the end of the game the announcers said something along the lines you look down and Stroud has an impressive stat line but he would be the first to tell you he can play much better. Stroud was far from great let alone perfect yesterday. Look beyond the numbers

He wasn't perfect. What he did to Michigan State last year was damn near perfect (29/31, 400 yards and 6 TDs in the first half). But he was really good regardless, against one of the best secondaries in the country. PSU's defense had something to say about him not getting his usual 4-5 TD passes, but he still took what the defense gave him over the middle and made some terrific throws late when it mattered -- the pass to Egbuka late was the backbreaker, and an NFL throw.

His pocket work still needs improvement, but he evaded some big time pressure situations yesterday (avoiding big sacks) and made some lightning quick decisions in the face of pressure. I'd give him an A- grade on the day.

lol diminish...I said all year they'd go 10-2 and blowout teams like Auburn. When we only beat NW I defended Franklin and the team due to the weather. The reason you and others don't believe I'm a Penn State fan is you think we all need to be holier than thou and criticize other programs to be a fan. You're wrong. Paterno is dead. Move on.

I respect your opinions LandoComando. Don’t let these other posters bully you.
keep sharing your thoughts and insights.

ADVERTISEMENT