ADVERTISEMENT

Good Penn State/ESPN article

Good article Lando. Thanks for sharing. I think it was reasonably accurate and don't have major disagreements with it. My concern is this: three years ago we were all excited by the Mike Yurchich hire as he had produced elite offenses everywhere he went. AK's resume is eerily similar to MY's. Good success in lower tier conferences and then the B-12 where very little defense is played, and when it is it's not the physical nature you get from MU, IA, IL, WI, etc. My concern is AK's offense is untested against B-10 level defenses. I love watching some of the film study and listening to his discussions but after MY I'm taking a wait and see approach. I'm sure rooting for the guy, and if he can make 50% of the improvement here that he made at KU we could be very, very good. And, given the talent disparity between us and KU, that or more should be a reasonable expectation.

Reactions: LandoComando
Good article Lando. Thanks for sharing. I think it was reasonably accurate and don't have major disagreements with it. My concern is this: three years ago we were all excited by the Mike Yurchich hire as he had produced elite offenses everywhere he went. AK's resume is eerily similar to MY's. Good success in lower tier conferences and then the B-12 where very little defense is played, and when it is it's not the physical nature you get from MU, IA, IL, WI, etc. My concern is AK's offense is untested against B-10 level defenses. I love watching some of the film study and listening to his discussions but after MY I'm taking a wait and see approach. I'm sure rooting for the guy, and if he can make 50% of the improvement here that he made at KU we could be very, very good. And, given the talent disparity between us and KU, that or more should be a reasonable expectation.

Keeping things in perspective, you don’t really need to score 40 or even 35 to beat these top teams. We have been and probably will be elite again on defense. What is needed is simply enough offense, explosive plays, points to win the game. Run, run again, then throw on third and long has not worked.

Yeah, I'm not sold either but I'm interested to see how it plays out. I very curious to see how he builds around the guys we have on the roster and utilizes them to their potential. Everyone thinks I hate Singleton but I think he could have a huge year in this offense and that isn't with him always as a RB.

Keeping things in perspective, you don’t really need to score 40 or even 35 to beat these top teams. We have been and probably will be elite again on defense. What is needed is simply enough offense, explosive plays, points to win the game. Run, run again, then throw on third and long has not worked.
Tendency busters and and some off scheduled plays would do wonders. Throw some wr bubbles, some pitches to the backs moving outside, passes on 1st down, motions, and Nascar pacing at times would all do wonders. At some point, we have to get these defenses confused and a step slow in determining the plays and where the ball is going. We aren't good enough to line them up and pound on 1st and 2nd and hope the 0line holds up on 3rd and long.

Tendency busters and and some off scheduled plays would do wonders. Throw some wr bubbles, some pitches to the backs moving outside, passes on 1st down, motions, and Nascar pacing at times would all do wonders. At some point, we have to get these defenses confused and a step slow in determining the plays and where the ball is going. We aren't good enough to line them up and pound on 1st and 2nd and hope the 0line holds up on 3rd and long.
All of this---would love some bubble screens to Singleton

Allar is big and strong. He's also a student of the game. Possibly the best PSU has ever had. He had 2 issues last year IMO. One was the play calling. I don't think we did enough to get Allars easy throws by getting the ball into the hands of our playmakers. I would have liked to see more inside screens, Singleton in the slot, Singleton on a wheel route. The other was that Allar panicked against pressure brought by OSU & UM. He really needs to let the game slow down in his head. I don't know if you can coach that.

Better WR play would sure help. It's nice to hear about Clifford making steps forward but he's not going to be the guy that will stretch the filed against top opponents. I think Wallace will be more like Parker Washington. He doesn't have KJ Hamler type speed. Fleming is faster than Wallace but still not like Hamler. Saunder is close but I'm not sure if he's a big enough target. I don't know Omari Evans speed but he might be a candidate.

Reactions: indynittany
Allar is big and strong. He's also a student of the game. Possibly the best PSU has ever had. He had 2 issues last year IMO. One was the play calling. I don't think we did enough to get Allars easy throws by getting the ball into the hands of our playmakers. I would have liked to see more inside screens, Singleton in the slot, Singleton on a wheel route. The other was that Allar panicked against pressure brought by OSU & UM. He really needs to let the game slow down in his head. I don't know if you can coach that.

Better WR play would sure help. It's nice to hear about Clifford making steps forward but he's not going to be the guy that will stretch the filed against top opponents. I think Wallace will be more like Parker Washington. He doesn't have KJ Hamler type speed. Fleming is faster than Wallace but still not like Hamler. Saunder is close but I'm not sure if he's a big enough target. I don't know Omari Evans speed but he might be a candidate.
I agree for the most part. I'm not sure he panicked or was just coached into the mindset of "don't take a risk" so then he couldn't just process what he saw but was also terrified to get picked. First time I ever hope our QB throws more picks because I want him to take chances.

Reactions: SR108

Allar needs to trust his arm and trust his receivers. Don’t be afraid to throw into tight windows when his receivers have position or have a 1/2 step on the defense.

Reactions: indynittany
I believe we have the line to run right at people, but we don’t have the scheme to run right at people.

Great article - thanks! I feel good about this upcoming season. I think Coach AK will be a game changer. He isn't just an X&O's guy, he'll play to our players strengths.

Reactions: LandoComando
Actually, they're not remotely close. MY wasn't appreciated at tOSU or Texas. He also never called plays before. His game planning and play calling were awful. You'll see a completely better offense and attack this Fall.

Also, plenty of folks were not excited about the MY hire and warned folks what was coming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT