ADVERTISEMENT

Had Allar started against Purdue...

We lose that game. Purdue has three losses as would have Penn State. Purdue would have gone to the Rose Bowl.

We're in the Rose Bowl because Franklin played Clifford.
You don't know that.

I think it was the right decision to start Clifford because Allar was still getting his footing at the D1 level but there is no way you know that we would have lost with Allar. In fact it was Cliffords 72 yard pick 6 that put that game at risk. Fortunately he led a great drive to make up for that horrible mistake.

35773c11-8d47-42e3-b668-5f94b1e4910f_text.gif

Reactions: Gitzit
Hype and expectations for Drew give him only one direction to go, and that's down. He better play like Tom Brady or he will get booed worse than Sean, it's sad to say.
Ironically, Michigan fans pretty much spent the entire two years of Tom Brady’s tenure as starting QB demanding he be benched for “stud recruit” Drew Henson!

I give the coaches the benefit of the doubt that they're playing the best players. My frustration comes from poor play. If mediocre performance from the QB position is the best we have on the roster, that it not acceptable.

However, it's a good point for all the boo-hooers complaining about this and that: 10-2 got Penn State into the Rose Bowl, one more loss to any of the underdogs (which happens all the time) and this opportunity would've been lost. A win over a scrub team in the Whatever Bowl would mean very little. The Rose Bowl is a huge opportunity.

A college player should never be booed, IMHO.
I'll go further than that, I wouldn't boo a pro player either. Unless he showed his azz on the court or field with some kind of boorish behavior. Even then, I'm not a booing guy. Nobody should be booed for sub-par performance, no matter what you paid for your ticket. It doesn't come with a guarantee of anything besides getting through the turnstile. Nobody's out there trying to underperform. Rarely, anyway.

Reactions: 81b&w
I know you guys have time to kill on your hands but you don't have to murder all of time! You are going to ruin it for the rest of us living!

I find it interesting how many people think that coaches, in a win every year business, make decisions to play lesser players. Everything they do is to win. Fans might disagree based upon their gut feeling but every player Franklin puts on the field are there because he thinks that is the best path to victory. He might end up being wrong in the long run but never doubt the reason for the choices.

Particularly pregame at the white out in front of all of those recruits. Bad look.
Very bad look. Also, I'm baffled by what QB play PSU fans have been accustomed to that makes them think that we could do so much better than Sean Clifford.

I'll go further than that, I wouldn't boo a pro player either. Unless he showed his azz on the court or field with some kind of boorish behavior. Even then, I'm not a booing guy. Nobody should be booed for sub-par performance, no matter what you paid for your ticket. It doesn't come with a guarantee of anything besides getting through the turnstile. Nobody's out there trying to underperform. Rarely, anyway.
Pros are there to win and make money. They try to play this "if you don't show up, you're not a fan" and then free agent out when they can make more money. So if they can be motivated to make more money over team, I can be motivated to save money by not spending money on that same crappy team. My point is, I have no problem booing a pro player. I guess, in my mind, it is still questionable if a college player is a pro or not.

Most of the people that boo, couldn't stand in front of 100,000 people for one play, without peeing their pants, let alone run an offense or play defense.

Reactions: WaylonJ and PSU_Nut
The booing of Sean Clifford has frankly been very embarrassing.
Not only embarrassing, but something staff has been asked to explain by parents of recruits. When a so called "loyal" fanbase reacts in this manner......it doesn't go unnoticed. Especially when the negative behavior is directed at someone who has done absolutely nothing to deserve it.
Resident clowns act like Clifford "imposed" himself on the program for a 6th year. When in fact he was asked to return. No program is required to give year six. In addition, a blue chip recruit like Allar(and his parents) had to be onboard with the "master plan."

Reactions: PSU_Nut and PSUoh90
You don't know that.

I think it was the right decision to start Clifford because Allar was still getting his footing at the D1 level but there is no way you know that we would have lost with Allar. In fact it was Cliffords 72 yard pick 6 that put that game at risk. Fortunately he led a great drive to make up for that horrible mistake.
You really think a true frosh in his first game out of HS would have led the team on that final drive? I wished Franklin would have played Allar more later in the year, but PSU doesn’t beat Purdue without Clifford leading that final drive.

You really think a true frosh in his first game out of HS would have led the team on that final drive? I wished Franklin would have played Allar more later in the year, but PSU doesn’t beat Purdue without Clifford leading that final drive.
Who says he would have needed to?
Penn State could have easily beat Purdue with Allar.

Pros are there to win and make money. They try to play this "if you don't show up, you're not a fan" and then free agent out when they can make more money. So if they can be motivated to make more money over team, I can be motivated to save money by not spending money on that same crappy team. My point is, I have no problem booing a pro player. I guess, in my mind, it is still questionable if a college player is a pro or not.
I was raised near Philadelphia and "booing" has been a part of most sporting events I attended in my youth. My former Marine old man told me that it was disrespectful and classless. It is important to note that he never took me to a regular season Eagles game....all 76ers, Flyers, Phils and college hoops.

I've seen our fans boo Mike Schmidt, Larry Bowa, Greg Luzinski amongst other notable greats who were my heroes. I don't boo. Ever.

Until Ben Simmons. When he came back to Philly a few weeks ago I screamed at my TV with pure rage. Good for him that he fell to a depleted lineup of relative nobodies.

His combo of wasted talent, lack of initiative to address weaknesses in his game, and spotlight seeking Hollywood BS ( I didn't even know who Kendal Jenner was until she started stalking him at games) has found a deep-seated well of bile that will likely surface whenever he is close to the 215 area code. Always an excuse, or someone to blame.

I almost bought a Mister Softee t shirt but didn't since I try to not roll like that : )

But you never know....

I was raised near Philadelphia and "booing" has been a part of most sporting events I attended in my youth. My former Marine old man told me that it was disrespectful and classless. It is important to note that he never took me to a regular season Eagles game....all 76ers, Flyers, Phils and college hoops.

I've seen our fans boo Mike Schmidt, Larry Bowa, Greg Luzinski amongst other notable greats who were my heroes. I don't boo. Ever.

Until Ben Simmons. When he came back to Philly a few weeks ago I screamed at my TV with pure rage. Good for him that he fell to a depleted lineup of relative nobodies.

His combo of wasted talent, lack of initiative to address weaknesses in his game, and spotlight seeking Hollywood BS ( I didn't even know who Kendal Jenner was until she started stalking him at games) has found a deep-seated well of bile that will likely surface whenever he is close to the 215 area code. Always an excuse, or someone to blame.

I almost bought a Mister Softee t shirt but didn't since I try to not roll like that : )

But you never know....
Ha! I simply quit going. Browns games are a bunch of drunk hoods venting their anger. Why go? They can boo so they want. On tv, the nfl pumps in cheers anyway and I don’t hear them.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
I said that I agreed with starting Clifford but there's no way to know we would have lost with Allar. You just can't say that as a statement of fact.

You don't know that.

We don’t know it, but the coaches who make these decisions for a living and put their livelihood on the line every week have a better idea than we do and they felt Clifford gave us the best shot at winning. I’ll trust them over the posters on here (crazy, right?).

Reactions: PSU_Nut
We don’t know it, but the coaches who make these decisions for a living and put their livelihood on the line every week have a better idea than we do and they felt Clifford gave us the best shot at winning. I’ll trust them over the posters on here (crazy, right?).
Who said allar should have started the Purdue game?

I was responding to a post that asked who could say that we would have lost to Purdue if Allar had started…my answer, the coaches.
The coaches said we’d have lost if we started Allar? I’ve never seen that reported nor have I ever seen anyone make that claim other than the OP. How would they know?

I was responding to a post that asked who could say that we would have lost to Purdue if Allar had started…my answer, the coaches.
The coaches thought Clifford was the best choice. So did I. But that doesn't mean we would have definitely lost with Allar.

The coaches said we’d have lost if we started Allar? I’ve never seen that reported nor have I ever seen anyone make that claim other than the OP. How would they know?
No, it was the OP of this thread. Just another ‘kick the hornets nest’ thread. One not worth discussion….yet, hear we are.

Reactions: Obliviax
This original post is so bad yet this db thought he’d post it on this board and the MacAndrew board lol

We lose that game. Purdue has three losses as would have Penn State. Purdue would have gone to the Rose Bowl.

Who gives a shit about the Rose Bowl? How do grown men get so wrapped up in this exhibition versus a different exhibition? Setting aside the fact that Allar might have beaten Purdue too, is getting to say "We made it to the Rose Bowl against a crappy 3 loss team!" better for all parties in the long run over getting Allar a full season of experience? Thank God there is no possible way that Clifford can be back next year, and good luck to him with figuring out the rest of his life after football!

Who gives a shit about the Rose Bowl? How do grown men get so wrapped up in this exhibition versus a different exhibition? Setting aside the fact that Allar might have beaten Purdue too, is getting to say "We made it to the Rose Bowl against a crappy 3 loss team!" better for all parties in the long run over getting Allar a full season of experience? Thank God there is no possible way that Clifford can be back next year, and good luck to him with figuring out the rest of his life after football!
So you would throw away an entire year just to get one player who may never be any good experience? This has to be one of the dumbest post I seen in a long time. We have no clue how Allar will turn out. He may end up being worse than Clifford. That is why real coaches like Franklin is making millions and you are whining on a message board and throwing out ridiculous ideas. What positions do you think playing time should be based on recruiting stars and not actually earning it? Should that just apply to QB position? If we land a 5 star running back should we bench Allen and Singleton? After all according to you playing time isn’t earned it given based on high school stars. Joey Porter Jr was only 3 star recruit he according to you should have been benched to give a 4 star guy experience.

Reactions: john4psu

The Rose Bowl is a meaningless exhibition game. Why does anyone care about being in the Rose Bowl instead of the Cotton Bowl or Outback Bowl? All are inconsequential if not part of the CFP. Players do not opt out of consequential games.
I would have never suggested that a true FR start the first game, but after solidifying no better than 3rd in the B1G East, with a lame duck 6th-year QB, I think it was time to play Allar/Vellieux/Pribula in preparation of the next meaningful PSU football game, against WVU on Sept 2nd, 2023.

PSU will now face WVU with a QB starting his first ever college football game.
Using your hindsight logic, that having an experienced QB was the difference against Purdue, surely, you agree that PSU would be much better served in a meaningful game against WVU by having a QB with starts under his belt, than having played a super-super SR in inconsequential games this year?

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
So you would throw away an entire year just to get one player who may never be any good experience? This has to be one of the dumbest post I seen in a long time. We have no clue how Allar will turn out. He may end up being worse than Clifford. That is why real coaches like Franklin is making millions and you are whining on a message board and throwing out ridiculous ideas. What positions do you think playing time should be based on recruiting stars and not actually earning it? Should that just apply to QB position? If we land a 5 star running back should we bench Allen and Singleton? After all according to you playing time isn’t earned it given based on high school stars. Joey Porter Jr was only 3 star recruit he according to you should have been benched to give a 4 star guy experience.
Why would Allar have had to stay in for the entire season if he wasn't performing well? Is that some NCAA rule that you "seen" somewhere? The schedule set up nicely to break in a new guy, or at least find out at a minimum whether his stars were legit or not, but instead Franklin chose to give Clifford an extra year farewell tour. So Franklin actually wasted a whole year for Allar, and hence the team, by playing him only in absolute garbage time, especially against several weaker teams when he should have entered several series earlier. And I would bet that part of it had to do with getting Clifford the passing record, and also not risking having another QB come in and outperform Sean on the field, which has actually been a question for several seasons in a row.

Franklin manages QBs poorly in my view.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT