ADVERTISEMENT

HAPPY 4.09!!!!!!!

psuro

Aug 24, 2001
The corner table at the Skellar
012212_joe_paterno120122090400120122102708.jpeg

The Final Game....

A few regrets I have in my life.

1. On the day before he passed away, my father called me but I was too busy to return his call. Stays with me every day and his 20 year anniversary is next Monday.

2. I was going to go to the Illinois game in 2011, but blew it off because of weather. If I had only known.....

Less important.....

3. I had a chance to fly on the Concorde - and passed it up for reasons I don't recall.

4. I had a chance to go Live Aid in Philly in 1985 - but blew it off for a girl.

Miss the Old Guy.

The Final Game....

1. On the day before he passed away, my father called me but I was too busy to return his call. Stays with me every day and his 20 year anniversary is next Monday.

2. I was going to go to the Illinois game in 2011, but blew it off because of weather. If I had only known.....

Less important.....

3. I had a chance to fly on the Concorde - and passed it up for reasons I don't recall.

4. I had a chance to go Live Aid in Philly in 1985 - but blew it off for a girl.

Miss the Old Guy.
  1. I'm positive he knows how much you still love him. I never got to say all the things I wanted to my dad before he passed, but I'm sure he knows.
  2. I also blew off that Illinois game due to the weather. The beauty and curse of hindsight.
  3. I had a chance to go to the 83 Sugar Bowl against UGA and the guy I would have sat with was in the background of the Greg Garrity SI cover (along with the guy who took my place).
  4. I had a chance to go to the Duke-Kentucky game in Philly (Laetnner buzzer beater) and didn't
Life is too short for regrets. Miss the old guy too!!

4539-DEFAULT-l.jpg

The Final Game....
Thank you for sharing that video. I was there with my wife and my son who was attending Penn State at the time....never thought it would be JoePa's last game. I had tickets for the Nebraska game, the last home game of the season. Got them especially to take my father, thinking JoePa might retire...ooohhh boy. I did take my father, but it was not the same...

Reactions: Zenophile and Bob78
The Final Game....

Less important.....

Miss the Old Guy.
Regarding number 1 - sorry to read that - gotta be tough. Peace to you.

Reactions: psuro
The Final Game....

Less important.....

Miss the Old Guy.
We had flooding in our basement for the Illinois game so we didn’t go either but I still have the tickets.

I remember the Illinois game well, it snowed like hell in the AM. Very heavy, wet snow, I couldn't even see the stadium from our tailgate at the corner of Apple and Orchard. It was also very cold, my wife left at halftime and I stayed until the end. There couldn't have been more than 50k people left at the conclusion. The video of the student section rushing towards the center of the endzone at the field goal attempt doesn't do it justice. The stadium fell almost silent while the kick was in the air, you could hear the doink off of the goalpost. I have been to 100+ games, I will never forget that one.

Thank you for sharing that video. I was there with my wife and my son who was attending Penn State at the time....never thought it would be JoePa's last game. I had tickets for the Nebraska game, the last home game of the season. Got them especially to take my father, thinking JoePa might retire...ooohhh boy. I did take my father, but it was not the same...

My wife and I were at 409. We loved watching the students migrate behind the goalpost on Illinois' field-goal attempt. Doink! Watching Spanier, Curley, and Joe celebrate the milestone together, we obviously had no idea that our university would shortly thereafter callously and inexcusably throw them all under the bus. Still, 409 was a great moment, and I will never forget it.

Success With Honor.

I still don’t believe it is just a coincidence that the Sandusky story broke one week after Joe set the record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT