ADVERTISEMENT

Has any read Gladwell's latest book "David and Goliath"?

ericstratton-rushchairman

May 20, 2005
Dallas TX
I didn't find it as sharp as his previous works however it talks through a very interesting concept called the inverted U curve. Essentially a person/group can apply more of something (money, effort, resources) and results will increase... then applying more has no positive or negative impact... then applying more has a negative effect. For instance U.S. efforts in Vietnam.

This got me thinking about the BOT's efforts to bury the truth and "move on". It seems clear to me the BOT is on the downward slope of the inverted-U curve. Their efforts are pushing the inevitable closer every day. I am very proud of those who, "Do not go gentle into that good night". As go old Silent Cal said... "Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".

When the truth comes I wonder what CR66 will do to get attention.

I didn't find it as sharp as his previous works however it talks through a very interesting concept called the inverted U curve. Essentially a person/group can apply more of something (money, effort, resources) and results will increase... then applying more has no positive or negative impact... then applying more has a negative effect. For instance U.S. efforts in Vietnam.

This got me thinking about the BOT's efforts to bury the truth and "move on". It seems clear to me the BOT is on the downward slope of the inverted-U curve. Their efforts are pushing the inevitable closer every day. I am very proud of those who, "Do not go gentle into that good night". As go old Silent Cal said... "Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".

We already have the truth. You just refuse to accept it. Four years in, thousand's of Bagwell documents, scores of depositions and e-mails from the Corman lawsuit, and nary a hair to hang your hat on. What will you say when C/S/S are convicted of their charges? I already know what the Joebots will do to get attention. The same thing they're doing now..........denying reality and formulating more crack pot theories.

Reactions: Joe Pa Thetic

I didn't know he had a new book out and I hadn't heard of that hypothesis but my first impression is, how do you tell the difference between those cases when applying more effort increases your desired effect versus when it does not? Obviously the point of applying more effort is to increase the effect. And if it was as simple as increasing effort beyond a certain point did not increase the effect then nobody would increase effort beyond that point.

This sounds like something in line with previous, similar studies. It sounds right to me.

My favorite Silent Cal story was about a dinner that was being hosted at the White House and a woman was seated next to the president who turns to him and says something like, A friend of mine bet me that I couldn't get you to say 5 words tonight and he turns to her and simply said, "You lose".

Love Gladwell but have not read it yet.

Someone asked me "why is the definition of insanity so similar to the definition of practice?"

My favorite Silent Cal story was about a dinner that was being hosted at the White House and a woman was seated next to the president who turns to him and says something like, A friend of mine bet me that I couldn't get you to say 5 words tonight and he turns to her and simply said, "You lose".

I thought it was *three* words.

We already have the truth. You just refuse to accept it. Four years in, thousand's of Bagwell documents, scores of depositions and e-mails from the Corman lawsuit, and nary a hair to hang your hat on. What will you say when C/S/S are convicted of their charges? I already know what the Joebots will do to get attention. The same thing they're doing now..........denying reality and formulating more crack pot theories.

The truth is that the old guard BOT, through massive incompetence, negligence and breach of fiduciary duty, screwed the university to high heaven. They all should have resigned three years ago. In fact, they should have resigned in the wake of the whole scandal, because ultimately they are in charge, and they are responsible for the failure to create a culture of compliance. If these trustees were on the BOD of a real company, they would have been gone long ago and would be the defendants in massive shareholder derivative litigation.

Please answer me this question: If we have the truth, why is the BOT spending millions of dollars blocking the release of the supporting documentation?

We have the truth, but if Freeh's materials are released, Penn State could be damaged? Ka-ka. If that is the case, we have a half truth, which is a lie of omission that you and the Old Guard BoT keep trying to hide behind by attempting to prevent the whole truth from coming out. It will come out and all the boot licking and knob polishing in the world won't help your family member on the BoT save their a$$.

Wrote what? "I am the Walrus" or "Revolution Number Nine"?
OT: Have you ever played the old, vinyl version of "Revolution Number Nine" backwards? :confused:
He was stoned when he wrote "David and Goliath".
david_goliath_victory.gif

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy

Well I'm certain this comment won't go over well, but it seems to me those pushing for the truth are the ones on the wrong end of that inverted U. It seems like a lot was happening early with our efforts, we got some great new alumni elected to the board, etc, but I haven't seen anything in quite some time, despite considerable efforts, that leads me to believe we're on the cusp of any great revelation that will change anything. I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: fairgambit
Well I'm certain this comment won't go over well, but it seems to me those pushing for the truth are the ones on the wrong end of that inverted U. It seems like a lot was happening early with our efforts, we got some great new alumni elected to the board, etc, but I haven't seen anything in quite some time, despite considerable efforts, that leads me to believe we're on the cusp of any great revelation that will change anything. I hope I'm wrong.
While I do what I can to support those who seek the truth, I am prepared for the possibility that the full truth will not be known in my lifetime, or ever. Sometimes life sucks that way. Good people can have their lives ruined over baseless charges or rumors. Despicable people can live the good life, amassing wealth and power and thumbing their noses at those they consider their intellectual, or social, inferiors. We must all do what we can to see that the truth is found and justice is served, but sometime that is just not enough. Sometimes, the bad guys win.
sad-and-sorry-smiley-emoticon.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT