ADVERTISEMENT

Help, did Barkley step out on the long run?

They blew the play dead, so they can't go back and give him a touchdown, which they never signaled. If they gave him the touchdown, then they can go back and review whether he was out, but it doesn't work the other way around.

They did not "blow the play dead" - that's utter made-up nonsense. Barkley had long crossed the goal line before whistles were blown stopping play (as confirmed by the SJ running down the sideline just in front of the play by a few feet and looking directly at Barkley's feet continuing to run with Barkley and the play all the way into the endzone - there was no whistle and the SJ would not have continued to run parallel with Barkley and the play all the way into the endzone had a whistle blown and nonsensical to claim otherwise!). The timing of the whistle blowing the play dead (i.e., after Barkley had long crossed the goal-line) makes the play, the spot, etc...."Reviewable" and the Referee/Crew is utterly INCORRECT that the play was "Not Reviewable" to see when, and if, Barkley ever stepped OB and if so, where he stepped OB (i.e., the "spotting" of the ball). The absurdity of their ruling was demonstrated by the fact that Barkley was CLEARLY IN-BOUNDS at the point on the field they RETROACTIVELY claimed he was OB!

Reactions: FHSPSU67
If Jason Avant was IB back in 2005, so was Barkley yesterday.

Jason's size "15 foot" was half way over the line that you could easily see from "30 yards." The ref stood there looking from about 10-15 yards and never called it!

Looked like his heel was elevated above the line with his toes planted in bounds. I don't get why it wasn't reviewed.

announcers seemed to think he did not step out. very hard to tell, but if they called him out, then a review may not have helped.

still amazing that play would not be reviewed - and nobody even mentioned that there was no review.

on his TD run later, they reviewed that and he was not even close to going out.

I had a really good view of it...in real time, I thought he stepped out (at the 10.5). But in looking at the spot on the field where it happened, there wasn't a divot going into the chalk, which you'll usually see if he did. But the trail official came in immediately blowing his whistle and signaling it dead, it's just that everyone was celebrating and didn't notice him. Had it been reviewable, no way could they have overturned it since there wasn't a great camera angle of it (too long of a play to have a cam at that end).

I had a really good view of it...in real time, I thought he stepped out (at the 10.5). But in looking at the spot on the field where it happened, there wasn't a divot going into the chalk, which you'll usually see if he did. But the trail official came in immediately blowing his whistle and signaling it dead, it's just that everyone was celebrating and didn't notice him. Had it been reviewable, no way could they have overturned it since there wasn't a great camera angle of it (too long of a play to have a cam at that end).
If it had been reviewed, they would have moved the ball back to the 10/11. Would have cost PSU 3-4 yards.

The trail official did come running in to mark him out...from about 30 yards away. Man must have the best eyesight in the world. If it's close the default should be DON'T call him out and let replay clean it up since apparently they can't review a close call where they call him out and stop the play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT