ADVERTISEMENT

here's a look back at our 1996 signing day class

BigD1992

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2001
Frisco, TX
Found this while looking info on Chance Bright:

IMANI BELL(6-5, 310 OL/DL)

Bell is from Philadelphia Cardinal Dougherty. The Associated Press Pennsylvania Big School all-state first-team selection runs a 5.2-second 40-yard dash and dropped almost 30 pounds to get himself in shape for his final season.

He was an all-city selection and an all-Catholic League selection on both offense and defense.

Bell, who prefers defense, chose the Lions over Wisconsin, Northwestern, West Virginia and Maryland.

JOHN BLICK(6-7, 325 OL)
Blick is another big boy with 5.0-40 speed. The Pleasant Valley High School product benches 325 pounds, deadlifts almost 700 pounds and was an all-state second team selection on offensive line. He chose the Lions over Boston College, Virginia and Syracuse.

"His biggest asset is his quick feet," said his coach Tony Caracio. "He's quick off the ball and he has all the physical attributes to be a good lineman."

CHANCE BRIGHT(6-6, 305 OL)
The Lions certainly aren't taking any chances on this guy. The Meadville, Pa., native describes himself "as imovable on offense."

Meadville coach Ken Achenbach said Bright traditionally grades in the 90's on film and is a "dominant lineman."

COURTNEY BROWN(6-6, 240 DE)
The man. Brown, from Macedonia High School in South Carolina, is rated by some as the No.1 defensive prospect in the nation and is considered to be one of the top five prospects at any position. He can play defensive end or linebacker and he's not a bad tight end either.

He was a SuperPrep All-American, a Bluechip Illustrated Dream Teamer and a Parade Magazine All-American in the same season. He was also the AP and Gatorade South Carolina Player of the Year.

As a senior he had 132 tackles (56 solos/12 for a loss), two interceptions and recovered four fumbles.

At tight end his career numbers are 67 receptions for 938 yards and 10 touchdowns.

RASHARD CASEY(6-4, 185 QB)
Casey, who is from Hoboken, N.J., is considered to be one of the top five quarterbacks in the nation and has outstanding athletic ability. He could play quarterback, wide receiver, cornerback, running back or safety. Some say he is reminiscent of a young Randall Cunningham.

He was a SuperPrep All-American, a Bluechip Illustrated Dream Teamer and a Parade Magazine All-American. He was also the No. 1 rated QB in the East according to Bluechip Illustrated.

While leading Hoboken to an 11-0 season and the New Jersey, section 1 group 3 championship, he completed 44 of 72 passes for 1,019 yards and 10 touchdowns. He rushed 55 times for 670 yards and 11 touchdowns.

He chose the Lions over Michigan State, Miami, Arizona and North Carolina.

MICHAEL CERIMELE(6-2, 225 LB)
The Allentown Central Catholic product attended Penn State and Wake Forest summer camps and chose the Lions over Notre Dame, Florida State, Boston College and Wake Forest.

He finished his career with 118 solo tackles (114 assists), four interceptions and three blocked kicks. He runs a 4.7-40 and was a first-team all-state linebacker.

For his senior season he rushed for 1,244 yards on 159 attempts and scored 13 touchdowns. Defensively he tallied 60 tackles along with 34 assists.

"The best thing I can say about him is his work ethic," said ACC coach Jim Morgans. "He does a terrific job in the weight room. He takes a blue collar approach. He loves playing football and he's very intense when he hits the field."

JOE DAWKINS(5-9, 180 TB)
The speedster. Dawkins hails from Hackensack, N.J., He broke Dennis Mitchell's state 100-meter record with a 10.31.

He helped lead Hackensack to their third state title, rushing for 982 yards and nine touchdowns in eight games. On defense he had 46 solo tackles and two interceptions.

Dawkins, who chose the Lions over Virginia, North Carolina and Rutgers, will have the opportunity to run track if he chooses.

"Football is my first priority," he said. "Track is an option in the future. I may pursue it once I feel comfortable with the system and with my classes."

DEREK FOX(6-0, 185 DB)
Fox is from Glen Oaks West in Canton, Ohio. He runs a 4.4-40 and has a 42-inch vertical leap. One source, who saw him play basketball, said you got to believe the 42-inch vert.

During his senior season he had seven interceptions for 151 yards. He also had 31 solo tackles.

"He's a real intense player with great skills," said Fox's coach Fred Thomas.

"He's a big strong kid. He's built like a linebacker."

AARON GATTEN(6-0, 190 DB)
This kid won PIAA State Championships in wrestling at 189-pounds and also in track in the 100-meter run and also the 200.

Gatten, who is from Washington High School, runs 4.45-40 and is rated as the No. 1 defensive back in the East by Bluechip Illustrated.

Last season he rushed for over 1,000 yards and he had 13 tackles for a loss. For his career he rushed for 3, 200 yards and 53 touchdowns.

BRAD JONES(6-3, 245 DE)
Mr. Versatility. In high school he played fullback, linebacker, tight end and on the offensive line. The Monessen High product was the first to give a verbal commitment to Penn State.

He chose the Lions over Notre Dame, Maryland, Purdue and two-time defending national champion Nebraska. As a sophomore he weighed as much as 275 pounds. Jones runs a 4-6-40 and was used primarily as a blocking fullback.

MARC KIELMEYER(6-6 240 DE)
Yes, Kielmeyer is an Ohio native that did not commit to the Buckeyes. From South High in Westerville, Kielmeyer runs a 4.8-40 and throws the shot 55'9 and the discuss 146'.

"I visited both Penn State and Ohio State," he said. "(Penn State) showed a genuine interest in me and they have a great program."

Kielmeyer is rated as the No. 1 defensive lineman in the Midwest by Bluechip Illustrated.

During his senior year he tallied 65 tackles at defensive end.

ANTHONY KING(5-10, 170 DB)
King is from Granby High in Norfolk, Va., He runs a 4.3-40 and was the district 100-meter champion as a junior and finished sixth in the state in the high jump competition.

He played quarterback in high school, but his future will be at defensive back. On offense he totaled over 2,800 overall career yards.

During his senior season, defensively, he had 28 tackles, four interceptions and 12 knockdowns.

"I do everything at full speed," King said. "I go at it 100 percent. I'm a very unselfish player."

JUSTIN KURPEIKIS(6-4, 225 LB)
Penn State was his No. 1 choice, but the Lions didn't offer at first. Kurpeikis is from Pittsburgh Central Catholic. He was a three year starter for the Vikings and was the first junior captain in school history. He runs a 4.7-40 and benches 330 pounds.

His senior numbers are impressive -- 145 tackles (52 solo), two interceptions, three sacks and two fumble recoveries. At fullback he rushed 56 times for 524 yards.

DAVID MACKLIN(5-11, 190 DB)
Macklin, from Menchville High School in Newport News, Va., chose the Lions over Florida, Tennessee and Virginia Tech.

He was first-team all-state at both running back and defensive back, but probably be found at the d-back position on the depth chart. During his senior campaign he rushed for 1,170 yards and 19 touchdowns, on the defensive side he had 30 tackles to go along with his seven interceptions.

MARCUS McFEE(6-0, 250 DL)

McFee is from Huguenot High School in Richmond, Va., He benches 405 and squats 550. For his senior year he had 89 tackles (20 assists) and seven fumble recoveries. McFee also performed the kicking and punting duties for Huguenot. He averaged 43.3 yards per punt and 59.9 yards per kickoff. In two years he kicked 48 of his 68 kickoffs out of the endzone. He holds the school record for the longest field goal at 38 yards.

"He's got a good football sense," said Huguenot coach Richard McFee. "I guess when you are the coaches son that happens. But he could possibly play at fullback. As a freshman he rushed for over 1,000 yards."

MAC MORRISON(6-1, 220 LB)
The three-time state javelin champion from South Kitsap High School in Port Orchard, Wash., is the first Washington native to play for coach Joe Paterno. He runs a 4.6-40

Morrison, whos given name is Clark, had 69 tackles last fall and helped lead South Kitsap High to a 32-2 record in his three years.

TITCUS PETTIGREW(6-2, 200 WR)
Pettigrew, from West Forsyth High School in Clemmons, N.C., was one of three finalist for the national offensive player of the year.

He was also honored as the North Carolina Gatorade Player of the Year. But surprisingly he wasn't named to the all-state team.

The playmaker caught 35 passes for 770 yards and six touchdowns.

He runs a 4.5-40 and chose the Lions over Wake Forest, North Carolina and Tennessee.

KAREL SMITH(6-2, 300 DT)
Smith is from Buchtel High in Akron, Ohio. He runs a 4.8-40 and benches 475 pounds.

He is ranked seventh in a class of 237. Smith has good quickness and agility.

"I'm very hard working and tenacious on defense," Smith said. "I always give 110 percent."

ERIC STURDIFEN(6-2, 220 LB)
Sturdifen, the Virginia defensive player of the year, has been a four year starter at Hugenot High School in Richmond. He chose the Lions over North Carolina, Tennessee and Florida.

As a senior he recorded 97 solo tackles, 30 assists and 18 sacks, four interceptions and four fumble recoveried. He runs a 4.5-40, benches 285 and squats 400.

JASON WALLACE(6-4, 240 DE)
Wallace was a three year starter for North Penn High School. For his career he tallied 21 sacks, 20 quarterback pressures, 125 tackles (108 assisted) and two blocked field goals.

On offense he helped clear the way for North Penn's junior tailback to rush for 1,200 yards two seasons ago and 1,300 yards this past season.

"Jason is relentless," North Penn coach Joe Shannon said. "That says it all. He's non-stop until the whistle blows. He's quick off the ball. Jason's got long arms and quick hands and that makes him difficult to block."

GARRETT WATKINS(6-4, 220 OLB)
"I think the outside linebacker position is good for him," said Moon High coach Mark Capuano. "Some schools thought about making him a tight end. But he's a good cover person and he has a long arm span."

In high school the Coraopolis, Pa. native played wide receiver, tight end and defensive end. He runs a 4.6-40.

The all-state selection chose the Lions over Wisconsin, Maryland and Boston College.

KENNY WATSON(6-0, 180 RB/DB)
Watson, who runs a 4.45-40, chose the Lions over Syracuse, Michigan and North Carolina.

He rushed for 1,495 yards on 189 carries during his senior year.

The AP First Team Big School All-State kick returner is considered to be one of the best backs to come out of Central Pennsylvania since fellow Harrisburg native Ricky Watters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News