• We won
  • Warren was great
  • Zahaydak looked solid

Lows:
  • First half defense
  • LB depth
  • Offensive play calling in Q4

Thoughts:

The defense was all about rushing the QB and less about staying in gaps. BGSU was prepared for that and took advantage. We didn't adjust and move Carter closer to the center until the second half.

I absolutely hated the Q2 blitz when BGSU was 3rd and 14 from our own 15 yard line. PSU coaches always go for the big play and in this case BG took advantage and threw over an open middle of the field for a TD. Sometimes you give them 4 or 5 yards and hold them to a FG. They would have still been in FG range even if we got a sack.

I didn't like the Q3 4th and 5 call from the 43 yd line even though it worked (barely). PSU had just taken the lead and we would have pinned BGSU deep. I saw this a panic move by Franklin in a close game. After Allar's INT we turtled up on offense as Franklin is inclined to do in close games. Fortunately we got an INT and Singleton bounced away from initial contact and scampered 41 yards for the game winning TD.

Good post. I would add one low to your list - where the hell were the wide receivers? Seems like they took a step back from WVU, just like last season.

Reactions: blair10
Good post. I would add one low to your list - where the hell were the wide receivers? Seems like they took a step back from WVU, just like last season.
More specifically where was Wallace. Clifford and Fleming have been missing in both games.

It's clear that Wallace and Evans are our top 2 WRs. Evans is a good deep threat but he has to stop pushing off. Wallace almost caught the long bomb from Allar but didn't. Just one of those two goes our way and we win comfortably.

Reactions: WIP2001
Omari's touchdown that was called back would have changed the perception of the wr play, as that was not a PI but he still needs to keep his hands off of guys. No reason to put his hand on the guy's facemask area.

Highs:
  • We won
  • Warren was great
  • Zahaydak looked solid

Lows:
  • First half defense
  • LB depth

Thoughts:

The defense was all about rushing the QB and less about staying in gaps. BGSU was prepared for that and took advantage. We didn't adjust and move Carter closer to the center until the second half.

I absolutely hated the Q2 blitz when BGSU was 3rd and 14 from our own 15 yard line. PSU coaches always go for the big play and in this case BG took advantage and threw over an open middle of the field for a TD. Sometimes you give them 4 or 5 yards and hold them to a FG. They would have still been in FG range even if we got a sack.

I didn't like the Q3 4th and 5 call from the 43 yd line even though it worked (barely). PSU had just taken the lead and we would have pinned BGSU deep. I saw this a panic move by Franklin in a close game. After Allar's INT we turtled up on offense as Franklin is inclined to do in close games. Fortunately we got an INT and Singleton bounced away from initial contact and scampered 41 yards for the game winning TD.
Agree. Warren is great…All American caliber. RB’s were very good to great. OL was intermittently very good. For a fairly young line, that’s OK…..as long as they continue to improve. Aller continues to improve, but missed 2 or 3 throws ( 1 for a TD) under little or no duress…. These were “automatic” throws ( little difficulty) . But overall, played well.
Defense got “boat raced” in the first half….their QB was very good with reads/release. —Good adjustments made at halftime, but this put me in mind of one of Joe’s old defenses….. no real time adjustments, but great adjustments at halftime.
—May need to pull Carter back to LB more frequently ( as he wrecks havoc from that position), at least until a couple of the freshmen/redshirt freshmen get up to speed….hopefully by mid season. — Secondary improved greatly after halftime adjustments.

Highs:
  • We won
  • Warren was great
  • Zahaydak looked solid

Lows:
  • First half defense
  • LB depth

Thoughts:

The defense has played very undisciplined football in the first two games. The d-line has committed way too many penalties, most of which are because they’re so intent on getting a head start to the qb. Also, the tackling in general has been poor. They basically have three weeks to get better before the Illinois game to make improvements.

Regarding this game in general, as I said yesterday, I’m glad that they didn’t have one of these September 50-0 games because those type of games do very little (unfortunately we’re going to play one of those games in two weeks as Kent State lost at home yesterday to St, Francis). I’m glad that they faced adversity against a decent opponent and found a way to win a game in which the defense slept walked through the whole first half. Also, it was good that the kicker actually had to make fgs that actually meant something to the outcome.

Last edited:
The defense has played very undisciplined football in the first two games. The d-line has committed way too many penalties, most of which are because they’re so intent on getting a head start to the qb. Also, the tackling in general has been poor. They basically have three weeks to get better before the Illinois game to make improvements.

Regarding this game in general, as I said yesterday, I’m glad that they didn’t have one of these September 50-0 games because those type of games do very little. I’m glad that they faced adversity against a decent opponent and found a way to win a game in which the defense slept walked through the whole first half. Also, it was good that the kicker actually had to make fgs that actually meant something to the outcome.
I forgot to mention the penalties. 7 for 76 yards.

Highs:
  • We won
  • Warren was great
  • Zahaydak looked solid

Lows:
  • First half defense
  • LB depth

Thoughts:

I'm a little concerned with Tom Allen. The defense is getting a lot of stupid penalties. The tackling has been terrible and we're not getting a pass rush.
It's early but I'm getting concerned.

I'm a little concerned with Tom Allen. The defense is getting a lot of stupid penalties. The tackling has been terrible and we're not getting a pass rush.
Is it only me, but l expected DDS to dominate especially when in many cases thy double teamed Carter.( especially against WVU)

I told one of my friends in the first half it seemed as though they were playing like it’s practice to the thud, but not tackling. Even when they stopped someone, they were not getting them to the ground.

Highs:
  • We won
  • Warren was great
  • Zahaydak looked solid

Lows:
  • First half defense
  • LB depth

Thoughts:

2 backs over 100 yards? To quote Sugar Ray:

“High, high, high, high, higher than high“

I didn't like the Q3 4th and 5 call from the 43 yd line even though it worked (barely). PSU had just taken the lead and we would have pinned BGSU deep. I saw this a panic move by Franklin in a close game.
I think he was probably just following analytics there that says to go for it at that part of the field with 5 yds to go.

I think the group that played the worst on D were the safeties. I think the compliments from Loeffler went to their heads. They did not cover or tackle well in the first half.

- First play from scrimmage: #2 steps up to defend the run on a drop back pass and lets the BG TE get behind him. 30 yd game
- On the BG TD early in the 2nd quarter when #0 had a free rush, the QB just threw the ball up for grabs. #2 took a peek into the backfield while playing man2man and let the wideout get behind him. #1 has over the top coverage and he never got there. I think it was only a two receiver route too.
- The BG TD before the half was bad defense all around - 75 yds on 4 plays in 1:56 seconds. But the safeties need to tackle better and get guys on the ground especially on that 41 yd rushing TD. o_O

I think the group that played the worst on D were the safeties. I think the compliments from Loeffler went to their heads. They did not cover or tackle well in the first half.

- First play from scrimmage: #2 steps up to defend the run on a drop back pass and lets the BG TE get behind him. 30 yd game
- On the BG TD early in the 2nd quarter when #0 had a free rush, the QB just threw the ball up for grabs. #2 took a peek into the backfield while playing man2man and let the wideout get behind him. #1 has over the top coverage and he never got there. I think it was only a two receiver route too.
- The BG TD before the half was bad defense all around - 75 yds on 4 plays in 1:56 seconds. But the safeties need to tackle better and get guys on the ground especially on that 41 yd rushing TD. o_O
Clearly, BG had a great game plan for which the defense was totally unprepared, and it took way too long to adjust. However, in the second half, along with BG returning to the mean, as they were almost flawless in the first half, the defense made adjustments and were pretty good. However, this unit has a long way to go to match the defenses of recent seasons in almost every aspect.

This defense is who we thought they were against Ole Miss and leading into WVU. The problem: we stuffed the Mountaineers so well, many ignored the original thoughts.

Now, a week later, a senior heavy team (I think) comes in with a great plan and a hot QB and everything is flipped on it's head.

Observations, not analysis. We've played 2 games. I think the important things to look at are:

1. The defense CAN adjust. We shut them down in the 2nd half.
2. The offense has excellent potential. We moved the ball at will. 7 and 9 ypc. Our TE broke a single game receiving record.
3. We ate some crappy penalties yesterday. The Shelton hold was a pancake. The Reynolds hold was the defender taking himself out of the play and Luke made him pay. Omari did OPI, which I'm fine with because he's fighting for the ball.
4. We're targeting different players. The offense doesn't have to run through just 1 player. There were times I'd like to have seen Allar to Wallace on 3rd and 5, but that will come when we have to.
5. Do you think every team is going to throw the ball that fast?

This defense is who we thought they were against Ole Miss and leading into WVU. The problem: we stuffed the Mountaineers so well, many ignored the original thoughts.

Now, a week later, a senior heavy team (I think) comes in with a great plan and a hot QB and everything is flipped on it's head.

Observations, not analysis. We've played 2 games. I think the important things to look at are:

1. The defense CAN adjust. We shut them down in the 2nd half.
2. The offense has excellent potential. We moved the ball at will. 7 and 9 ypc. Our TE broke a single game receiving record.
3. We ate some crappy penalties yesterday. The Shelton hold was a pancake. The Reynolds hold was the defender taking himself out of the play and Luke made him pay. Omari did OPI, which I'm fine with because he's fighting for the ball.
4. We're targeting different players. The offense doesn't have to run through just 1 player. There were times I'd like to have seen Allar to Wallace on 3rd and 5, but that will come when we have to.
5. Do you think every team is going to throw the ball that fast?
The offense was good into the third quarter until they decided to become overly cautious and turn Allar into a hand off machine. Other than the int yesterday, Allar has played mostly great football this season, but he’s not being allowed to throw even twenty passes in a game, which is ridiculous, and I say that as a proponent of establishing the run.

Reactions: bdroc and scrivener
After re-watching their chunk plays against us, it looked to me that our db’s were giving a ton of wide open cushion. Their receivers were literally jogging past the first down sticks and finding wide open space to make the catch and first down. They also schemed their TE open several times. On that ugly rushing TD they had, our DT’s got moved out of position and they blocked our linebackers easily.

That push off was a weak call probable due to the WVU coach whining so much about it after last week's game so the refs watched for it
It probably is not called but he shoved the guy's facemask. I think that is what caused the flag. Unnecessary.

As others have pointed out, the WR play was a big disappointment. Although if Evans does not stupidly shove the guy's facemask then he had a solid day adding that TD. He also is getting open deep which we desperately need. Not overly concerned with him. My question is what happened to Wallace? Was he double teamed or scarily not able to get separation vs one on one BGSU coverage? Even more of a concern is Fleming. Is he this year's Cephus? If Wallace was drawing double teams and he still can't get open?? Yeesh. If this WR group can't consistently make plays we will not beat USC and OSU. Potentially a third loss as well. Those teams will take away Warren and limit the run game.

Reactions: bdroc and Ski
It probably is not called but he shoved the guy's facemask. I think that is what caused the flag. Unnecessary.

As others have pointed out, the WR play was a big disappointment. Although if Evans does not stupidly shove the guy's facemask then he had a solid day adding that TD. He also is getting open deep which we desperately need. Not overly concerned with him. My question is what happened to Wallace? Was he double teamed or scarily not able to get separation vs one on one BGSU coverage? Even more of a concern is Fleming. Is he this year's Cephus? If Wallace was drawing double teams and he still can't get open?? Yeesh. If this WR group can't consistently make plays we will not beat USC and OSU. Potentially a third loss as well. Those teams will take away Warren and limit the run game.
My question is: "where is Flowers" who was probably the highest rated WR we have gotten in a number of years. In his 3rd year and hasn't seen the field. Is he injured? He has to be as good as what we are putting on the field now?

2/9 on 3rd down. 1.5 sacks. Penalties. Bowling Green moved the ball at will. Our second half defense looks better only because 1st half was so bad.

Lucky to win the game. Hopefully we can improve as our competition improves.

My question is: "where is Flowers" who was probably the highest rated WR we have gotten in a number of years. In his 3rd year and hasn't seen the field. Is he injured? He has to be as good as what we are putting on the field now?

Is he the one who was a safety that got converted to WR or am I thinking of Ivey?

Our second half defense looks better only because 1st half was so bad.

Less than 100 yards and 3 pts is definitely improved regardless of the 1st half.

Reactions: bdroc
Is he the one who was a safety that got converted to WR or am I thinking of Ivey?

Less than 100 yards and 3 pts is definitely improved regardless of the 1st half.
I think Flowers was the safety. Why did they convert him if he is never going to play? I guess he was never going to play at safety either.

I think Flowers was the safety. Why did they convert him if he is never going to play? I guess he was never going to play at safety either.
Rivals had him rated #9 WR in the country. With our extremely thin WR room, why would they convert him, especially since he hasn't seen the field.

The offense was good into the third quarter until they decided to become overly cautious and turn Allar into a hand off machine. Other than the int yesterday, Allar has played mostly great football this season, but he’s not being allowed to throw even twenty passes in a game, which is ridiculous, and I say that as a proponent of establishing the run.
I think Franklin started running more in Q2 because BGSU dominated TOP in the first quarter and the defense was getting gassed.

But once PSU took the lead in Q3 he seemed to turtle up out of caution

Good question. I think we, as fans, try to peg every player as an eventual contributor and figure out how or why it should happen. Only so many play every year.

Position switches are always iffy as well. Particularly if you don't start contributing fairly quick. For every Nick Scott, there are a bunch of guys who switch and never contribute.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT