ADVERTISEMENT

Holy shit! Go Bills!

BTW - Mahomes never got to touch the ball in OT vs Brady and the Patriots in that crazy 2019 AFC championship game either. The overtime rule does need to change, but to what?

How about just continuing the play of the 4Q “as-is” until someone wins?

Turn off the game clock when it hits zero and simply keep playing!!!!!

How about just continuing the play of the 4Q “as-is” until someone wins?

Turn off the game clock when it hits zero and simply keep playing!!!!!
Interesting. Well, I've always disliked soccer's shoot out and the college football game's tiebreaker. But football is a different issue. the defenses for the Bills and Chiefs were exhausted. I have to think that injury has to begin to be an issue.

They are going to have to change the rule to give both teams as least one possession. With the Bills defenders toungs hanging out, the Chiefs had an easy touchdown. I think it is pretty fair to say had the bills won the toss they'd have won the game. That game could have ended 143 to 140.

While I've never been a fan of the college system, after watching last night, I am leaning more toward that kind of tie-braker. Why make the teams drive the length of the field?

I am also thinking, as someone said about FG kickers, they are going to have to do something about that. Perhaps move the posts in again. The premier kickers are almost automatic from 50 and now approaching 60 yards. Or, maybe they can make the kicked balls less bouncy. But kickers are now dominating the ends of games and that, to me, isn't great.

Here is what I would do. I'd put the ball on the fifteen-yard line and tell them they had to score a TD. No FGs but you do make the PAT or go for two if you score a TD. You can get a first down at the five. That evens out running teams a little with passing teams. Yet, it shortens the number of plays and time on the field. I think that would be fun and take the FG kickers out of the overtimes and it doesn't screw up historical records the way moving the goals posts narrower would.

Interesting. Well, I've always disliked soccer's shoot out and the college football game's tiebreaker. But football is a different issue. the defenses for the Bills and Chiefs were exhausted. I have to think that injury has to begin to be an issue.

They are going to have to change the rule to give both teams as least one possession. With the Bills defenders toungs hanging out, the Chiefs had an easy touchdown. I think it is pretty fair to say had the bills won the toss they'd have won the game. That game could have ended 143 to 140.

While I've never been a fan of the college system, after watching last night, I am leaning more toward that kind of tie-braker. Why make the teams drive the length of the field?

I am also thinking, as someone said about FG kickers, they are going to have to do something about that. Perhaps move the posts in again. The premier kickers are almost automatic from 50 and now approaching 60 yards. Or, maybe they can make the kicked balls less bouncy. But kickers are now dominating the ends of games and that, to me, isn't great.

Obli, my idea certainly shortens the game and is certainly more fair to the team that has the advantage at the end of the 4Q.

First score of any type wins…..no more luck of a coin toss…..no more kickoff or kickoffs…..no more of a team sitting on a final few plays deep in their own territory in the 4Q just to escape and get to overtime.

Obli, my idea certainly shortens the game and is certainly more fair to the team that has the advantage at the end of the 4Q.

First score of any type wins…..no more luck of a coin toss…..no more kickoff or kickoffs…..no more of a team sitting on a final few plays deep in their own territory in the 4Q just to escape and get to overtime.
so the game continues as if the end of game was like the end of a quarter? If not, you have to do something to figure out who gets the first possession. If so, you really hurt the end of the game as teams will lose any incentive to score beyond that of the same urgency you get at the end of the 3rd quarter.

please tell me how a squib burns clock?

Everyone knows that the clock does not start when the ball is kicked... KO’s can be FC’d and a squib can be downed whereby KC would have likely taken over with field position > 25yd line

the game was lost when Leslie Frazier had DBs 40yds off the ball and had gassed/average overpaid LBs 20yds off LOS tasked with covering some of the fasted guys in the NFL in space ...
You can't down a live ball until you're touched and you have to recover it 1st. 10 seconds is better than 13.

The overtime rule does need to change, but to what?
Defense and special teams are both part of the game too!

I didn't have a lot of heartburn about plain sudden death OT but understand that with kickers as good as they have become why the change was made to the present format.

Perhaps college OT rules but with the ball at the 40 yard line instead of the 25? If you don't gain anything it's a 57 yard kick.

Intermural football rules atPSU.....overtime, team A got ball on the fifty yd line and four downs with normal rules for first downs. If team A scored, team B got the ball on the fifty and had to score. If team A failed to score, team B took over at that line of scrimmage....it they then got past the fifty they win, no score necessary.

so the game continues as if the end of game was like the end of a quarter? If not, you have to do something to figure out who gets the first possession. If so, you really hurt the end of the game as teams will lose any incentive to score beyond that of the same urgency you get at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Yep, the game simply continues. The only thing that changes is the strategy as the 4Q winds down.

If I have you pinned deep in your territory, good for me. If you are marching near midfield, good for you. The game converts to “sudden death” not dependent on a coin toss or saying each team gets a possession…..hell they’ve each had 10-15 possessions already!
Defense and special teams are both part of the game too!

I didn't have a lot of heartburn about plain sudden death OT but understand that with kickers as good as they have become why the change was made to the present format.

Perhaps college OT rules but with the ball at the 40 yard line instead of the 25? If you don't gain anything it's a 57 yard kick.

But that takes special teams out of the game…..

Reactions: Obliviax
Take a knee, 1 sec off the clock... unless it’s an unusual whacky kick - field position likely well forward of the 25yd line where a touchback would place it
Never heard of taking a knee when the ball hits the ground before it gets to you. Clock starts running when you touch it if it's not in the endzone.

This is crazy, but according to FBSchedules. com, the Bills will have to play five straight games at KC in a three year span.

Jan 21 - AFC Championship
Oct 21 - Regular Season
Jan 22 - Divisional Game
TBD - 22 Regular Season
TBD - 23 Regular Season

Has this ever happened before?

Interesting enough, I just saw a local KC report that the Chiefs asked the NFL to take up the overtime rules after the 2018/19 AFC championship game in which they lost to Tom Brady and the Patriots the same way the Chiefs beat Buffalo. Patriots won the toss, Brady drove the field to score a TD without Mahomes touching the ball and and the Patriots won 37-31. The NFL teams voted and rejected their request to consider changes. Didn’t hear how each team voted though.

This is crazy, but according to FBSchedules. com, the Bills will have to play five straight games at KC in a three year span.

Jan 21 - AFC Championship
Oct 21 - Regular Season
Jan 22 - Divisional Game
TBD - 22 Regular Season
TBD - 23 Regular Season

Has this ever happened before?
Sounds like PSU in The Big10!

Interesting enough, I just saw a local KC report that the Chiefs asked the NFL to take up the overtime rules after the 2018/19 AFC championship game in which they lost to Tom Brady and the Patriots the same way the Chiefs beat Buffalo. Patriots won the toss, Brady drove the field to score a TD without Mahomes touching the ball and and the Patriots won 37-31. The NFL teams voted and rejected their request to consider changes. Didn’t hear how each team voted though.

I don’t think they ever voted on it…..

Yep, the game simply continues. The only thing that changes is the strategy as the 4Q winds down.

If I have you pinned deep in your territory, good for me. If you are marching near midfield, good for you. The game converts to “sudden death” not dependent on a coin toss or saying each team gets a possession…..hell they’ve each had 10-15 possessions already!

But that takes special teams out of the game…..
Just keep OT the way it is but the team that loses the coin toss still gets a possession even if the team who gets it first scores a TD. Make it 12 min not 10 to minimize the tie scenario.

ADVERTISEMENT