ADVERTISEMENT

How Did The Pens Win?

I would assume like every other sport if it's not 100% clear then the call stands.

Bad assumption. :)

I think we've all seen more than enough NCAA and NFL calls in which the video evidence was indisputably clear to all but indescribably the incorrect call is made.

Last night's call could have been settled either way and it would have been okay. However, as another user stated, no NHL analysts have suggested it was a bad call to overturn that goal.

I hate replay for these types of plays in any sport. I like replay to correct egregious errors and blunders. I don't want a gnats eyelash to decide things.

Reactions: bjf1991
Who gets to decide what is egregious? I suspect the way most would look at it, is if it hurts my team, it's egregious. If it hurts the other team, then it's just a gnat's eyelash call.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Egregious - foot clearly out of bounds, OF traps flyball, puck hits bar inside the goal and bounces out.

Gnats Eyelash - play at first that you have to look at frame by frame, knee down & ball slightly moving, goal disallowed last night.

Using frame by frame analysis or still photo to determine a play, to me, goes beyond "trying to get it right." No review should take more than 30 seconds. Look at it and the answer should be clear. That is just my feeling on replay. I am sure I am in the minority and I am fine with that.

I am a Pens fan if it matters.

I think that the officiating is so bad, and so biased, that you have to have replay in the NHL. You just have to.

Bad assumption. :)

I think we've all seen more than enough NCAA and NFL calls in which the video evidence was indisputably clear to all but indescribably the incorrect call is made.

Last night's call could have been settled either way and it would have been okay. However, as another user stated, no NHL analysts have suggested it was a bad call to overturn that goal.
you mean calls like Penn state vs Nebraska non touchdown.

you mean calls like Penn state vs Nebraska non touchdown.
That was one that came to mind.
Polamalu's Interception - Oh wait, No - Against the colts back in 2007?
There was another one from a Steeler's game this year that i do not recall. All i can remember is Phil Simms (i think) stating that the video was so clear and conclusive that the call would be overturned. Even Pierara (?) chimed in and said as much.

Maybe that's another poll/another topic for this board...Name the obvious blunders in officiating that were not ruled the way the rest of mankind saw them.

How did the Pens win? They had Big Ten refs on the ice apparently lol

In all seriousness, Nashville outplayed Pittsburgh for about 40-45 minutes of the game. The overturned goal (which in itself was atrocious) took the air out of Nashville. The 5-on-3 was stupid which led to a Malkin goal which was aided by a non-call on Crosby. The second goal was beautiful. The third goal was basically an own goal. The whole game was ... weird. I've never seen a team go 37:09 without taking a shot on goal ... and then the first shot they do take goes in. Pittsburgh will have to play ALOT better than that to win this series. They might've won the game but they'll lose in 6 still if they continue to play anything close to that.
Spoken like a butt hurt Flyers fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT