Are you a fan of MMA?

• Yes

Votes: 32 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 43 58.1%

• Total voters

RB-Old

Jan 22, 2020
Just curious about the PSU wrestling fanbase. I can't say I'm a fan, I do like boxing though. I feel like MMA is all sizzle and no steak, it's all about screaming announcers but the fights are boring imo.

Fights are boring?? 🤣 some people are so hard to please.

MMA is very entertaining. Life has been man vs. man since we were created. It's awesome to watch the top guys in the world battle live in a ring. Doesn't get much better!

Last edited:
I like wrestling more but I love mma. After my wrestling career I trained mma and have a number of fights under my belt. My biggest fight was in the Cage Warriors organization over in Amman, Jordan. I lost my fight by triangle choke. Ended up being my last fight. Connor McGregor was actually on the same card. This is when he was first coming up. He won the Cage Warriors title soon after and then signed with the UFC. Pretty cool where wrestling has taken me and the things I’ve experienced through this wonderful sport!

I like MMA when women are fighting. Sara mcmann was a local girl who kicked ass other than that I could take it or leave it I'll watch it if it's on

Reactions: hlstone
I love MMA. I can’t imagine anyone calling it “boring”. I’m envisioning a fan of a sport that kicks, punches, strikes, knees and submits watching wrestling and hearing that a wrestling fan calls MMA “boring”. No OOB. No restarts.

Reactions: hlstone
Fights are boring?? 🤣 some people are so hard to please.

MMA is very entertaining. Life has been man vs. man since we were created. It's awesome to watch the top guys in the world battle live in a ring. Doesn't get much better!
Your wife knows about Man vs Man vs Woman from that I-80 truck stop.

Reactions: Ski
Too barbaric for my taste. Hard pass.
I agree. I like some several sports that have an unfortunate amount of injuries, but the intent of the sport is not to injure your opponent. Sports such as boxing and MMA, where your goal is to incapacitate someone just have no appeal for me.

Reactions: Fatmarc
MMA is fine. I watch from time to time. It really sucks that MMA takes talent away from wrestling. I’d much rather watch Bo wrestle than fight, but understand why he’d do it.

MMA is fine. I watch from time to time. It really sucks that MMA takes talent away from wrestling. I’d much rather watch Bo wrestle than fight, but understand why he’d do it.
MMA has helped keep wrestling a sport of interest and increasing participation, particularly with girls. Wrestling after college has always been a problem. I understand the wish to have a talent like Bo keep wrestling but regardless of MMA’s presence, the biggest competitor to post college Olympic wrestling remains……a job.

And MMA is one.

Little worried that a lot of kids are going MMA training at age 10. Not an issue if they continue on and wrestle but wouldn't want to lose them to MMA.

Little worried that a lot of kids are going MMA training at age 10. Not an issue if they continue on and wrestle but wouldn't want to lose them to MMA.
Which part? Of the trainings for MMA, wrestling is one, so is BJJ, MuayThai, and a few others. Kids have been donning a robe for and being real karate kids for ages.

Wrestling doesn’t appear to be losing them lately. At least not on the whole. Sure, some, but against a growing overall interest for which MMA is a factor, seems a fair trade off.

Of course, you might lose some to that other “sport” Professional Wrestling.

Too barbaric for my taste. Hard pass.

a7b.gif

I like MMA enough to watch fights on TV if they include former wrestlers and if I don't have to pay extra for them. That probably puts me somewhere between "yes" and "no" on the are-you-a-fan scale.
I subscribe to wrestling such as BTN+. I avidly watch collegiate wrestling and a fair amount of high school, especially tournaments. I watch some freestyle but very little Greco.

I appreciate that wrestling makes a very good base for MMA. I draw the line at paying for MMA. Not worth it to me. I have bought some pay per view wrestling. Not convinced yet on the Rudis promotion. A few great match ups, but most are just good, not great. Over-hyped.

Just curious about the PSU wrestling fanbase. I can't say I'm a fan, I do like boxing though. I feel like MMA is all sizzle and no steak, it's all about screaming announcers but the fights are boring imo.
Organized brain damage for profit, as is pro boxing.

Reactions: Fatmarc and RB-Old
MMA has helped keep wrestling a sport of interest and increasing participation, particularly with girls. Wrestling after college has always been a problem. I understand the wish to have a talent like Bo keep wrestling but regardless of MMA’s presence, the biggest competitor to post college Olympic wrestling remains……a job.

And MMA is one.
I’d sure be interested in any evidence you have the MMA has helped with participation - particularly with girls.

I absolutely believe that mma has helped wrestling. Anyone who watches mma can see that wrestling is one of if not the best bases to have. As mma has increased in popularity I think wrestling has as well. High school age athletes have to pay for bjj, boxing, or muay thai classes but can join the wrestling team for free. I see more and more wrestlers going into mma as it’s a way to keep competing and also hopefully make some $. I don’t like losing the very best wrestlers like Bo to mma but I understand why it happens. As good as Bo is I don’t see him beating DT so it makes sense to move into fighting where he has the potential to make big $.

Which part? Of the trainings for MMA, wrestling is one, so is BJJ, MuayThai, and a few others. Kids have been donning a robe for and being real karate kids for ages.

Wrestling doesn’t appear to be losing them lately. At least not on the whole. Sure, some, but against a growing overall interest for which MMA is a factor, seems a fair trade off.

Of course, you might lose some to that other “sport” Professional Wrestling.
From what I hear there are quite a few kids that are training at Bo s MMA gym but some of them drift away to wrestle that's not to say that some of those kids really idolize Bo and want to be an MMA champ and stay which is a good thing it's awesome to see some of our former wrestlers being role models for the next generation. Who wouldn't want to be like Bo

I enjoy watching mma but I feel the fighters are significantly underpaid for what they are risking each fight. The top fighters (ex, jones, cejudo) have recently spoken out about this topic during their negotiations for championship fights. I’m not a Jon Jones fan (certainly not of his character) but he was the Tom Brady of the sport and should have been compensated accordingly. I know the UFC does not have NFL money but The ufc has been extremely stingy compared to other major professional sports regarding what they bring in and what they pay their athletes. The UFC’s top guys should probably be earning double of what they are making and I worry some former wrestlers are following a pay day pipe dream that comes with a small window of opportunity which probably never surfaces.

I enjoy watching mma but I feel the fighters are significantly underpaid for what they are risking each fight. The top fighters (ex, jones, cejudo) have recently spoken out about this topic during their negotiations for championship fights. I’m not a Jon Jones fan (certainly not of his character) but he was the Tom Brady of the sport and should have been compensated accordingly. I know the UFC does not have NFL money but The ufc has been extremely stingy compared to other major professional sports regarding what they bring in and what they pay their athletes. The UFC’s top guys should probably be earning double of what they are making and I worry some former wrestlers are following a pay day pipe dream that comes with a small window of opportunity which probably never surfaces.
Overall I don't think they make much. Unless you are up the food chain in UFC you are likely making less than $50k annually. It is a lot of risk for not much pay.

Reactions: PASLP2

And MMA is one.
Speaking of jobs for Olympic athletes, noticed that KITZ Corporation, manufacturer of industrial valves, has stepped up and agreed to sponsor Yui Susaki, Japanese women's 50 kg gold medalist in Tokyo, thru the 2024 Olympics and possibly beyond. KITZ Headquarters is near her hometown of Matsudo, in the Tokyo metropolitan area and, following her graduation this month, she'll be able to train using the same Waseda University facilities which were available to her as a student at the school. Am guessing she'll be doing PR work for KITZ while essentially training fulltime for the next Olympics, wrestling in various international competitions along the way.

Last edited:
Speaking of jobs for Olympic athletes, noticed that KITZ Corporation, manufacturer of industrial valves, has stepped up and agreed to sponsor Yui Susaki, Japanese women's 50 kg gold medalist in Tokyo, thru the 2024 Olympics and possibly beyond. KITZ Headquarters is near her hometown of Matsudo, in the Tokyo metropolitan area, and following her graduation this month she'll be able to train using the same Waseda University facilities which were available to her as a student at the school. Am guessing she'll be doing PR work for KITZ while essentially training fulltime for the next Olympics, wrestling in various international competitions along the way.
She is a studette...FIFY @KCLion

Last edited:
Reactions: KCLion
She is a studette...FIFY @KCLion
I'll call her currently the best P4P amateur wrestler, male or female, in the world. No one else has demonstrated anything approaching the kind of consistent, utterly dominant results against top, world-level competition which she has. Allowed zero points in eight matches at the Asian Trials and the Olympics, requiring about two minutes per match to shut down each of her opponents by virtual superiority, seven times by a 10 - 0 score and once by 11 - 0. Her Olympic Championship match was over in 1:32 .

And then there are her multiple World Championships, all won by virtual superiority. In short, from where I sit, right now there's no one close to her.

Last edited:
I started watching UFC the past 2 years and I dig it. I usually bet on the guy with the wrestling background. This year I’m up 47$. I only bet 3-5$ a fight.

The minimum a fighter gets paid is 10k a fight. That’s for 3 , 5 minute rounds.

I have seen a huge influx of MMA grappling moves/holds being used in youth wrestling. I know of one elementary coach that teaches his kids these illegal holds. He also flips out when his kids give get dinged for the holds. He just doesn’t know the rules.

I do hear a lot of kids and parents say the kids are wrestling due to watching MMA or wanting to be a fighter some day.

Reactions: Creek Side
I like wrestling a lot more than MMA. Just watched a fight on ESPN. 3 periods, 15 minutes. One fighter had a takedown each round, then pretty much rode the guy out for the remainder of the period. Bottom guy didn’t know how to get out and was basically paralyzed by fear of taking a big shot to the head. Top guy didn’t know what to do once he got him down. Looked like two JH kids, tired and screwing off at practice. I know that isn’t a good representation of all fights, and there is always the potential for a huge flurry and lots of action. I guess I have a few questions. Do you guys thing wrestling and MMA are comparable in the amount of physical fitness needed? Seems like it would be, but I don’t feel like I see guys really gasses at the end of rounds. Can they recover that quick between rounds? Are they seriously that conditioned or do they get enough breathers between flurries trying to avoid catching a haymaker?

Last edited:

MMA and WWE could both go away, IMO. Have no use for either. I definitely like boxing, however. I know I'm in the minority.

Reactions: Ski
MMA and WWE could both go away, IMO. Have no use for either. I definitely like boxing, however. I know I'm in the minority.
This is where I’m at as well. Never really was a Pro Wrestling kinda guy. Growing up, boxing was big in my house so never got away from it. Think it’s because as a family we made Friday night fights and championship fights on HBO and showtime a huge deal when I was a kid. When MMA started to catch on, just never had time for yet another sport although with so many wrestlers going into it I can see that starting to change but probably not that significant of one. Now, my daughter and son in law are huge MMA fans. Seems every time they come visit there an event they always talk me into buying. Lol

Reactions: WreslingFan0314
ADVERTISEMENT