ADVERTISEMENT

How Joe Namath ended up at Bama.

I also grew up in western Pa and never saw segregation. No ‘whites only’ this or ‘no Negros allowed’ signs. Nothing.

There were black neighborhoods but there were also Italian neighborhoods and Polish neighborhoods and WASP neighborhoods.

Was totally shocked, confused and angry when I saw newsreels about the segregated South and Jim Crow laws.

I also grew up in western Pa and never saw segregation. No ‘whites only’ this or ‘no Negros allowed’ signs. Nothing.

There were black neighborhoods but there were also Italian neighborhoods and Polish neighborhoods and WASP neighborhoods.

Was totally shocked, confused and angry when I saw newsreels about the segregated South and Jim Crow laws.
Was a different world back then. We've come a long way but we still got a ways to go.

Do the 20,000 murders a year and destruction of schools anger you?

Was a different world back then. We've come a long way but we still got a ways to go.

We have regressed. Today's kids cant even make fries hot.

20,000 murders a year and Schools are a disaster. 80% of the urban poor live in single or 0 parent homes.

PS. What do you think is the demographics of Namath's neighborhood? When he got money where do you think he moved?

Spin, where did you grow up?
Me - Hickory Twp. now Hermitage. It was one of the rural communities next to Sharon and Farrell at the time.
Never saw segregation. Dad grew up in Farrell, grandmother still lived there back then so we were always visiting Farrell, and my dad taught school at Sharon HS.

Heading to Butler next week for a wedding.

You never saw segregation but you had black neighborhoods, Italian neighborhoods and WASP neighborhoods. Might want to re think that.

Me - Hickory Twp. now Hermitage. It was one of the rural communities next to Sharon and Farrell at the time.
Never saw segregation. Dad grew up in Farrell, grandmother still lived there back then so we were always visiting Farrell, and my dad taught school at Sharon HS.

Near New Castle. Never saw any of that sh!T around town or in Pittsburgh. Or Youngstown. Anywhere. Asked my older brother if he did and nope.

In high school we read about the Great Migration when, during the 1920s and 1930s an estimated two million blacks moved from the South to the North. We were taught it was to work in the steel mills and factories. They didn’t teach us that much of the reason they were moving was to escape the resurgent racism fostered by President Wilson and the KKK.

You never saw segregation but you had black neighborhoods, Italian neighborhoods and WASP neighborhoods. Might want to re think that.
People live among their own type. Polish speaking people congregated together because they all knew each other, built their own churches, had their own social clubs. Same with other nationalities.

This was much more prominent then because most were immigrants or first generation kids. And very few owned cars so they couldn’t travel far.

What is the demographics of Hickory TWP?

As of the 2000 census,[6] there were 2,356 people, 925 households, and 690 families residing in the township. The population density was 146.5 inhabitants per square mile (56.6/km2). There were 982 housing units at an average density of 61.1 per square mile (23.6/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 98.34% White, 0.08% African American, 0.04% Native American, 0.30% Asian, 0.21% Pacific Islander, 0.17% from other races, and 0.85% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.42% of the population.

Is that diverse?

People live among their own type. Polish speaking people congregated together because they all knew each other, built their own churches, had their own social clubs. Same with other nationalities.

This was much more prominent then because most were immigrants or first generation kids. And very few owned cars so they couldn’t travel far.

True. It is called segregation.

I wonder how your town would react if the government decided they were against you living among your own type and decided to bus in other types and pretty much destroy the ethnic neighborhoods, churches, and social clubs. The forced polices even put many of the local churches, religious schools and ethnic clubs out of business.

You should take a drive through Philly. Check out Germantown, Kensington, Pt Breeze, North Philly and and you can see the results of failed policies. There used to be Irish, Italian, Polish, German and tons of ethnic neighborhoods. They had ethnic social clubs and churches in the neighborhood. The schools in the neighborhood were good schools. The people had PRIDE. They did not need a fake t shirt. People with the fake pride t shirts have trash, litter and grafitti in front of their homes. Now the city is a post apocalyptic wasteland. Liberal progress at work.

Last edited:

I attended elementary junior high, and high school in 60s & 70s in Lower Bucks County, PA and our school distrct was integrated. I never saw any signs that forbid entry of Black or other ethnic groups. I know there were prejudiced adults and students but the crowd I socialized with was multi-ethnic. I'm thankful I grew up with those friends.

I wonder how your town would react if the government decided they were against you living among your own type and decided to bus in other types and pretty much destroy the ethnic neighborhoods, churches, and social clubs. The forced polices even put many of the local churches, religious schools and ethnic clubs out of business.

You should take a drive through Philly. Check out Germantown, Kensington, Pt Breeze, North Philly and and you can see the results of failed policies. There used to be Irish, Italian, Polish, German and tons of ethnic neighborhoods. They had ethnic social clubs and churches in the neighborhood. The schools in the neighborhood were good schools. The people had PRIDE. They did not need a fake t shirt. People with the fake pride t shirts have trash, litter and grafitti in front of their homes. Now the city is a post apocalyptic wasteland. Liberal progress at work.
It’s called people living where they want and that was among their own. Calling it segregation makes it sound like it was forced. It’s actually human nature.

All those ethnic groups were quite poor as they were all immigrants. They lived in small row homes and walked to school, church, grocery stores, and work.

But New Castle was one school system. They all went the same Jr high and high school together. There were smaller neighborhood elementary schools but even those were mixed as the neighborhoods were too small to justify a school for each ethnicity.

That’s a big advantage of small towns. Everybody knows each other. That’s why Namath played on a mixed team and was close friends to a lot of blacks.

Not saying it was perfect. There were some racist assholes and some tension between races. There was also some tension between the other ethnicities. Sadly, thst is also part of human nature.

I think that is his point. the govt didn't decide where he could live. It was his family's choice and that wasn't any different than anybody else's choice in his area. That was clearly different in other parts of the nation.

I attended elementary junior high, and high school in 60s & 70s in Lower Bucks County, PA and our school distrct was integrated. I never saw any signs that forbid entry of Black or other ethnic groups. I know there were prejudiced adults and students but the crowd I socialized with was multi-ethnic. I'm thankful I grew up with those friends.

You don't need written signs to be segregated.

What is the demographics of Hickory TWP?

As of the 2000 census,[6] there were 2,356 people, 925 households, and 690 families residing in the township. The population density was 146.5 inhabitants per square mile (56.6/km2). There were 982 housing units at an average density of 61.1 per square mile (23.6/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 98.34% White, 0.08% African American, 0.04% Native American, 0.30% Asian, 0.21% Pacific Islander, 0.17% from other races, and 0.85% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.42% of the population.

Is that diverse?
Of course not. All I stated is that I never saw any segregation.

I didn't check your numbers, but Hickory Twp is when I was growing up. Sometime in late 70's (I believe) when Incorporated into the City of Hermitage.

Growing up, I'm estimating these figures.

Hickory Twp was 98% white

Sharon - 70% white/ 30% black
Farrell - 50%/50%

I'm estimating these figures.

Grandma lived in Farrell, we were always there visiting.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I think that is his point. the govt didn't decide where he could live. It was his family's choice and that wasn't any different than anybody else's choice in his area. That was clearly different in other parts of the nation.

And the neighborhoods there were segregated by choice. Not much different. He said there were black neighborhoods, Italian neighborhoods and White WASP neighborhoods.

Ps. Do poor people have much choice? Do they want to live in a ghetto? If the government built some low income projects in the affluent areas of western pa you would have got a reality check on how the locals really felt.

Near New Castle. Never saw any of that sh!T around town or in Pittsburgh. Or Youngstown. Anywhere. Asked my older brother if he did and nope.

In high school we read about the Great Migration when, during the 1920s and 1930s an estimated two million blacks moved from the South to the North. We were taught it was to work in the steel mills and factories. They didn’t teach us that much of the reason they were moving was to escape the resurgent racism fostered by President Wilson and the KKK.
Mom graduated from New Castle Union and she lived in New Wilmington and Pulaski.

I remember going to 2 different amusement parks in New Castle. Cascade?
Also, Coney Island for Hot Dogs.

And the neighborhoods there were segregated by choice. Not much different. He said there were black neighborhoods, Italian neighborhoods and White WASP neighborhoods.
Segregated by their own choice, not an external choice.

Psychologically speaking, people associate with people like them. It happens in the animal kingdom as well. They have a community association. They know what each other has gone through, what their challenges are, and hope that they support each other. I did a lot of work with a bank that serves the Korean community in LA. (Bank of Hope) The bank did a TON of programs around the fact that a Korean person will go far out of their way to support another Korean person. East West Bank does the Chinese population. They don't restrict you, they just capitalize on common interests and support. they actually categorize their customers by 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0s. The 1.0s are adults that moved to the USA. the 1.5 are their kids who were born in Korea but grew up in America. 2.0s are kids of Korean descent but were born in the USA and were fully nationalized as Americans.

We've seen this with Japanese, Chinese, and Vietnamese. More recently, Indians. We've seen all of these populations not only integrate, but in most cases excel (if you look at the testing of Asian kids and more recently, Indians).

My question is, why have other minorities not advanced even though they've been in the USA for many more decades?

Last edited:

Psychologically speaking, people associate with people like them. It happens in the animal kingdom as well. They have a community association. They know what each other has gone through, what their challenges are, and hope that they support each other. I did a lot of work with a bank that serves the Korean community in LA. (Bank of Hope) The bank did a TON of programs around the fact that a Korean person will go far out of their way to support another Korean person. East West Bank does the Chinese population. They don't restrict you, they just capitalize on common interests and support. they actually categorize their customers by 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0s. The 1.0s are adults that moved to the USA. the 1.5 are their kids who were born in Korea but grew up in America. 2.0s are kids of Korean descent but were born in the USA and were fully nationalized as Americans.

We've seen this with Japanese, Chinese, and Vietnamese. More recently, Indians. We've seen all of these populations not only integrate, but in most cases excel (if you look at the testing of Asian kids and more recently, Indians).

My question is, why have other minorities not advanced even though they've been in the USA for many more decades?
Lack of family (both parents) homes.

Ps. Do poor people have much choice? Do they want to live in a ghetto? If the government built some low income projects in the affluent areas of western pa you would have got a reality check on how the locals really felt.
Huge difference between choice and government dictates. Weird.

A huge problem for blacks is they were fleeing terrible conditions in Democrat Dixie. Not only was were they stuck with strict segregation but they were forced into poorly run, underfunded schools. They moved north with no skills, no money, no family support. That meant they lived in the poorest neighborhoods and had the worst schools.

European immigrants went areas where they had family. Back then, you had to have a US citizen as a sponsor before getting a visa. That family not only provided shelter but usually had a job already lined up when a new immigrant arrived. Huge difference.

seems to me that people tend to live where they are most comfortable and associate with those who are like them. So why do Italians live in communities with other Italians, Asians with other Asians, blacks with blacks etc? Because Asians won't let italians in their communities? Or Italians won't let African Americans in theirs? you get my point.

everything is not about racism.

I live in Florida. Every winter there is a contingent of Korean descent Americans/Canadians that migrate to our resort. There are hundreds of homes there, but guess what they buy and live in contiguous homes and communities. They play golf just about every day - maybe 5 to 8 foursomes - all consisting of, you guessed it Koreans. The resort sponsors a dinner once a month...part of the membership fees....tables of 10.....know where the Koreans sit? Yep, all together at one of the tables made up of Koreans. It's not that they are racists or don't like whites, African Americans or even Italians. It's just the way like is.

seems to me that people tend to live where they are most comfortable and associate with those who are like them. So why do Italians live in communities with other Italians, Asians with other Asians, blacks with blacks etc? Because Asians won't let italians in their communities? Or Italians won't let African Americans in theirs? you get my point.

everything is not about racism.

I live in Florida. Every winter there is a contingent of Korean descent Americans/Canadians that migrate to our resort. There are hundreds of homes there, but guess what they buy and live in contiguous homes and communities. They play golf just about every day - maybe 5 to 8 foursomes - all consisting of, you guessed it Koreans. The resort sponsors a dinner once a month...part of the membership fees....tables of 10.....know where the Koreans sit? Yep, all together at one of the tables made up of Koreans. It's not that they are racists or don't like whites, African Americans or even Italians. It's just the way like is.
Common for successful immigrants to sponsor family members and then help set them up in business. Often in food services.

That’s why there are so many ethnic restaurants…..they cook what they know and fellow members of that ethnic group eats what they like.

Common for successful immigrants to sponsor family members and then help set them up in business. Often in food services.

That’s why there are so many ethnic restaurants…..they cook what they know and fellow members of that ethnic group eats what they like.
The time I spent in Korean town in LA, these people would drive hours to use a Korean dry cleaner, repair shop, food distributor and restaurant. To your point, there were families that were importers of goods and services directly from Korea for things you couldn't get in the USA. There were specific brands of rice cookers, toaster ovens, and pastas. I was amazed at how supportive they were. It reminded me of the Amish where a community will chip in to help someone rebuild a burned barn.

The time I spent in Korean town in LA, these people would drive hours to use a Korean dry cleaner, repair shop, food distributor and restaurant. To your point, there were families that were importers of goods and services directly from Korea for things you couldn't get in the USA. There were specific brands of rice cookers, toaster ovens, and pastas. I was amazed at how supportive they were. It reminded me of the Amish where a community will chip in to help someone rebuild a burned barn.
Just like Hispanic bodegas bringing food from south if the border. Human nature.

In 1987, I was hired by a national fast food chain. As part of my training, I was sent to Roanoke, VA for 2 weeks. The training class was split 50-50 white and African-American. One night, a few of us decided to go out for a bite to eat. We pulled up to a non de-script restaurant and started to get out of the car when the 2 African Americans who went with, us spoke up and said "lets go somewhere else". I didn't realize what was going on at first but once we got back in the car, they said they didn't like the looks that were coming from inside and did not feel comfortable eating there. We found another place to eat and nothing else came of it, but it angered me that in 1987, that stigma still had life. I guess stupidity still exists.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Huge difference between choice and government dictates. Weird.

A huge problem for blacks is they were fleeing terrible conditions in Democrat Dixie. Not only was were they stuck with strict segregation but they were forced into poorly run, underfunded schools. They moved north with no skills, no money, no family support. That meant they lived in the poorest neighborhoods and had the worst schools.

European immigrants went areas where they had family. Back then, you had to have a US citizen as a sponsor before getting a visa. That family not only provided shelter but usually had a job already lined up when a new immigrant arrived. Huge difference.

Not a huge difference because YOUR examples overlap. The government basically destroyed many immigrant neighborhoods that you mentioned. The government bused students to good working immigrant neighborhoods and also built low income housing in those neighborhoods.

Your point about underfunded schools is pretty much garbage as it applies to cities. The private schools in cities usually have less funding and much better results. Philly runs all the public schools in the city and hey all use he same funding formula. The worst schools like strawberry mansion actually have more funding per student because the school is 90% empty since the locals destroyed it. Strawberry mansion was actually a great school in a Jewish neighborhood before he government FORCED diversity.

You support segregation by choice in your own neighborhood. Do you support it everywhere?

It is easy to support failed policies when they are not used in your own neighborhood.

Segregation by choice is what? It is SEGREGATION.

I love when people from all white neighborhoods act all progression and support diversity. Your examples are the things people said before the government FORCED diversity in their neighborhoods.

Is is not ok for people in the south to associate and live in a neighborhood with people like themselves who have similar values? It is your example.

Segregation by choice is what? It is SEGREGATION.

I love when people from all white neighborhoods act all progression and support diversity. Your examples are the things people said before the government FORCED diversity in their neighborhoods.

Is is not ok for people in the south to associate and live in a neighborhood with people like themselves who have similar values? It is your example.
Do you are saying segregation is good?

Personally, I like freedom and choice. Maybe others don’t

Thank you much,
Joe and the Jets were my favorites
I didn't have his arm, but when I threw a football, I threw it like Joe. It kills me to see what they have let the franchise become. I like they have a decent QB now, I'd feel better if this happened 10 years ago!

Reactions: step.eng69
I didn't have his arm, but when I threw a football, I threw it like Joe. It kills me to see what they have let the franchise become. I like they have a decent QB now, I'd feel better if this happened 10 years ago!
You threw the football like Namath & I caught the football like Don Maynard.......
We'd make a great team someday.
😎

Reactions: harbest

We never called it segregation but the Polish people all congregated to one village, the Italians another, the Germans or Croatians to another and the Russians a different one. Even in the small towns, a small village would have separate areas where one group would prevail. The thing is that we never cared what area they were from or what village, we all played together as kids. It was the adults who stuck together and that was because many of the older people never spoke English. They wanted to be together because they shared a language and heritage.

Last edited:
In 1987, I was hired by a national fast food chain. As part of my training, I was sent to Roanoke, VA for 2 weeks. The training class was split 50-50 white and African-American. One night, a few of us decided to go out for a bite to eat. We pulled up to a non de-script restaurant and started to get out of the car when the 2 African Americans who went with, us spoke up and said "lets go somewhere else". I didn't realize what was going on at first but once we got back in the car, they said they didn't like the looks that were coming from inside and did not feel comfortable eating there. We found another place to eat and nothing else came of it, but it angered me that in 1987, that stigma still had life. I guess stupidity still exists.
I have a close childhood friend in Roanoke. Post 2016 and Charlottesville he experienced a new level of racial discussion and humor around the city.

A client of his was particularly direct one day- to the point of angering him. My buddy is Caucasian- but he had adopted 2 African American kids when they lived in Michigan. So he said "Have I ever shown you a picture of my son?" Silence. Racism often hides in the shadows- but in my experience has been more open over the past decade. It is where we are as a nation at this point in time....and why this post exists/continues.

Migratory patterns are what they are, and as cities expand into the surrounding countryside the changes are not all positive.

The community where I grew up was 35% African American and 5% Hispanic- all Puerto Ricans. People were very conscious of race and social status- but there was acceptance amongst the large majority of kids. It was just the way it was. Poor white "hillbillies" were the bottom caste- as in modern thinking of the time they had "no excuse" for not moving up.

Now the community high school class is doubled and is approximately 50% Hispanic. What were the fancy executive neighborhoods are seen as middle class, having been replaced by massive homes for banking executives. The old horse farms remain- but the houses have been rebuilt to mansion levels.

The African American population was displaced and is almost non existent. It has been replaced by Mexican, and now Tri Angle countries. Times change and communities adapt. The failure of our cities can in some part be explained by the exodus of stable tax bases. There are many reasons why communities struggle- but the ethnicity of its' residents shouldn't be held up as the over simplistic reason why....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT