ADVERTISEMENT

Howard, Haines, Facundo and SVN additions

RB-Old

Jan 22, 2020
Imagine returning for national champs along with adding Howard, Haines, Facundo and SVN. Figure that in with also having Kerk probably being the favorite at HWT and BB at a much better weight for him and I can't think of any team in any sport with such an embarrassment of riches. In fact they're so loaded I'm not sold we'll see Haines in the lineup this season. I have a feeling this is going to be the most dominant team of the Cael era (so far).

Imagine returning for national champs along with adding Howard, Haines, Facundo and SVN. Figure that in with also having Kerk probably being the favorite at HWT and BB at a much better weight for him and I can't think of any team in any sport with such an embarrassment of riches. In fact they're so loaded I'm not sold we'll see Haines in the lineup this season. I have a feeling this is going to be the most dominant team of the Cael era (so far).
I was thinking about starting a thread just like this, not sure what kept me from it. Anyway, agreed.

Meanwhile, I saw today’s FRL is called “Can ASU upset PSU?”

I assume their answer was yes, because, uh, research.

Gable sounds like he’ll be back again, but I’ve got Kerk pencilled in for the finals.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Imagine having a HS wrestler who beat a #1 overall recruit that was already in college.

Now imagine that HS guy is in college but maybe we shirt him because we can.
I dare say he paddy-whacked him

giphy.gif

Gable sounds like he’ll be back again, but I’ve got Kerk pencilled in for the finals.
Let me guess - all the close ones go their way. Do I need to prepare my eyes to roll when I listen tonight?

Let me guess - all the close ones go their way. Do I need to prepare my eyes to roll when I listen tonight?
You're asking the wrong guy. I only ever listen to that show anymore late on long drives, when I've exhausted all other viable content.....

That said, some loosening of the eye muscles certainly wouldn't hurt.

Imagine having a HS wrestler who beat a #1 overall recruit that was already in college.

Now imagine that HS guy is in college but maybe we shirt him because we can.
He dominated Gallagher, that was some beast-mode stuff.

You're asking the wrong guy. I only ever listen to that show anymore late on long drives, when I've exhausted all other viable content.....

That said, some loosening of the eye muscles certainly wouldn't hurt.
“Exhausted all other content” means knowing who did it on all episodes of Forensic Files before FRL.

Reactions: nerfstate
Their most baffling trick was declaring 2018 tOSU 'Team of the Decade', despite them, you know, not winning a national title.
Baffling for sure, but just as baffling as you not knowing that tOSU did win a team title in 2015. :cool:

Has anyone heard anything on the health of SVN?? Also, has Dean officially said that he is coming back?? Have not heard anything on these two important team members, or its out there and I missed it.

Has anyone heard anything on the health of SVN?? Also, has Dean officially said that he is coming back?? Have not heard anything on these two important team members, or its out there and I missed it.
if Dean wasnt coming back Beard would have stayed!

Pushes Cass down the podium, but Kerk might have a shot to secure the 2 if he wrestles Schultz correct? He will have 2 shots at Cass for sure right?

Coaches are going to do what is best. But as an outsider, I kinda hope to see Haines this year. I’d hate to see him redshirt, gain a little bit of weight and then he can’t find a starting spot in the lineup because of Facundo, Starocci and Brooks.

Why has SVN not been wrestling?
Coaches are going to do what is best. But as an outsider, I kinda hope to see Haines this year. I’d hate to see him redshirt, gain a little bit of weight and then he can’t find a starting spot in the lineup because of Facundo, Starocci and Brooks.
Those guys all gonna bump
up a weight in 2 years anyways

Reactions: mjmirv
I'm not sure it's levi who needs to worry about a spot he's that good

Honestly when Zain and Nico redshirted in 2015, they didn't wrestle a single open tournament. Both for different reasons, Zain I imagine was eating and bulking (which is impossible if you're wrestling a season) Nico I imagine was very broken from his first 3 years and just totally needed to heal.

For Van Ness, I imagine it's a combination of both. He probably needed to put on some size to be a full sized 149 but he also has had a ton of injuries (broken leg senior year and then bulky knee brace at Clarion) Cael saw the value in having Shayne just not wrestle the season. There will be rust when he starts obviously but it doesn't matter. It's about getting seasoned and ready for March (and as healthy as possible) For the record, I thought Shayne looked ready to go after his 2nd match at Clarion (got a quick pin and was hopping up and down at center)

It goes without saying but at 149, Shayne's best competition is in the room (Zain, Nick Lee) but in an environment where Cael can make sure he's not getting hurt.

Reactions: kevin310
With the change in eligibility for freshman (allowing up to 5 competitions), I'm fairly certain that we will see Levi in the lineup at some point this season.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
When's Steen able to wrestle? And what's his ceiling compared to Howard??

It goes without saying but at 149, Shayne's best competition is in the room (Zain, Nick Lee) but in an environment where Cael can make sure he's not getting hurt.
This has probably been addressed before, but what are the rules concerning the college wrestlers working out with the NLWC wrestlers? Can it be done in the PSU practice room during the season?

Agree! Sometimes a talented athlete redshirts only to see his teammate secure a four year gig. The competitor inside these elite athletes wants to foreclose on potentially negative outcomes by getting all that he can ….NOW! I’d bet the coaches let ‘em’ wrestle in the room and put out the best team sooner rather than later. The portal has changed the equation. Coaches are like CEO’s. They gotta manage to the quarter and hope the long term comes along.

Reactions: Antaeus and Ski
Unless I missed something Steen is able to wrestle. Not sure what his ceiling is, but right now and likely this year he is not on the same level as RH (when healthy).
Steen looked improved at JRWTT. No reason to think he wouldnt get us some points.

Reactions: hlstone

If Steveson returns, Minnesota will certainly need to stage a pre-first-match ceremony so he can properly lace his shoes back up in the middle of the mat.

Last edited:
Steen looked improved at JRWTT. No reason to think he wouldnt get us some points.
What? He got dominated by a high school junior and teched by richie figs. he beat two back ups from Southern Illinois and Cleveland State. combined record of 16-13 last year on the low level open scene with most wins coming against non-D1 wrestlers.

Guys, you have to have to have to pay attention to who these guys are wrestling at age level offseason tournies. Steen would be an underdog to qualify and is not anywhere near scoring real points at the ncaa tourny.

ADVERTISEMENT