ADVERTISEMENT

Howard, Haines, Facundo and SVN additions

What? He got dominated by a high school junior and teched by richie figs. he beat two back ups from Southern Illinois and Cleveland State. combined record of 16-13 last year on the low level open scene with most wins coming against non-D1 wrestlers.

Guys, you have to have to have to pay attention to who these guys are wrestling at age level offseason tournies. Steen would be an underdog to qualify and is not anywhere near scoring real points at the ncaa tourny.
Tough but fair - a needed dose of objectivity

Reactions: js8793
What? He got dominated by a high school junior and teched by richie figs. he beat two back ups from Southern Illinois and Cleveland State. combined record of 16-13 last year on the low level open scene with most wins coming against non-D1 wrestlers.

Guys, you have to have to have to pay attention to who these guys are wrestling at age level offseason tournies. Steen would be an underdog to qualify and is not anywhere near scoring real points at the ncaa tourny.
I'm not optimistic about Steen. I'm not optimistic about Howard at this point TBH. I'm very optimistic about Haines. The other 2 I'm hopeful.

I would be surprised if howard, bartlett, svn, facundo are not wrestling in rnd of 12 and believe all have a better than average chance to aa

You're honestly a huge d***. First you tell Iowa fans that Cobe Siebrecht isn't the 149 version of Spencer Lee and now you tell us we shouldn't expect Steen to be a finalist?

Facundo will have the hardest time placing from the pure fact his weight class is stacked. That being said, if he develops to his potential, he'll be in the mix of things (especially with his defense) but good lord, what a list:

O'Toole
Griffith
Carr
Amine
Hamiti
Kharchla
Monday
Kennedy (I'm moving him ahead of Hall because he looked on another level in freestyle)
Hall

Facundo will have the hardest time placing from the pure fact his weight class is stacked. That being said, if he develops to his potential, he'll be in the mix of things (especially with his defense) but good lord, what a list:

O'Toole
Griffith
Carr
Amine
Hamiti
Kharchla
Monday
Kennedy (I'm moving him ahead of Hall because he looked on another level in freestyle)
Hall
said the same thing about kennedy over on HR too, but facundo could have a really good year (better than i think he will) and still not come close to placing. it's a filthy filthy weight.

bartlett is on the opposite end of the spectrum. he could continue to be pretty average and place top 6 because the weight is really weak.

not high on howard, especially since he seems to tweak something every event. i think injuries have really hurt his development and he was a guy who really needed it.

who knows with SVN? lot of talent in the top 10 at 149, but nobody transcendent besides yianni. wouldn't be surprised to see him take the weight by storm and be in the mix for the finals or struggle with defense and sloppiness (like we've seen) and be a r12/r16 guy. health is a concern there too. been injured a lot the last few years.

With the new rules re: 5 events, do we see Haines at any B1G duals?

Does the Scuffle count as a second semester event? It's after the New Year but school hasn't started yet. If it does, I'd bet he goes there plus some other second semester opens. But, I'll be most interested to see if they trot him out for tOSU, Iowa, etc. I don't think we'll NEED him to win any of those events but it would be informative.

Last edited:
said the same thing about kennedy over on HR too, but facundo could have a really good year (better than i think he will) and still not come close to placing. it's a filthy filthy weight.

bartlett is on the opposite end of the spectrum. he could continue to be pretty average and place top 6 because the weight is really weak.

not high on howard, especially since he seems to tweak something every event. i think injuries have really hurt his development and he was a guy who really needed it.

who knows with SVN? lot of talent in the top 10 at 149, but nobody transcendent besides yianni. wouldn't be surprised to see him take the weight by storm and be in the mix for the finals or struggle with defense and sloppiness (like we've seen) and be a r12/r16 guy. health is a concern there too. been injured a lot the last few years.

Agreed on all points.

SVN looks big for 149, and he's aggressive. While I think he may fall for some of Sasso's tricks through over-pursuit, and he's not in the same league as Yianni, if you told me he's 3rd to 8th this year I wouldn't be surprised at all. If he's healthy and has a good summer/fall, I think he'll be very, very good.

I would actually like to see him standing next to BB. I saw a picture of him standing next to Joey McKenna and I was surprised by how much taller he was. He looked a bit taller than BB when they wrestled back at WNO in 2019, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's most of 4"+ taller than BB now.

Agreed on all points.

SVN looks big for 149, and he's aggressive. While I think he may fall for some of Sasso's tricks through over-pursuit, and he's not in the same league as Yianni, if you told me he's 3rd to 8th this year I wouldn't be surprised at all. If he's healthy and has a good summer/fall, I think he'll be very, very good.

I would actually like to see him standing next to BB. I saw a picture of him standing next to Joey McKenna and I was surprised by how much taller he was. He looked a bit taller than BB when they wrestled back at WNO in 2019, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's most of 4"+ taller than BB now.
That speaks more for BB’s height (or lack thereof lol) more than SVN’s height. McKenna was no giant either.
I’d consider SVN “normal“ height for the weight.

I'm not sure Van Ness is a big 149 if we're going in by walkaround weight. He was wrestling 138 as a HS senior.

He has reach and might just have a ton of PFP power though. It's very much a factor and probably a reason why Cael was so high on him coming out of HS. It's no coincidence Bo weighed in probably like 190-192 all year for 197 and just horsed around much bigger guys like they were the ones wrestling up.

You're honestly a huge d***. First you tell Iowa fans that Cobe Siebrecht isn't the 149 version of Spencer Lee and now you tell us we shouldn't expect Steen to be a finalist?
Yes, what's the matter with him... He takes the fanatic out of fan.. I bet he goes to gender reveal parties and announces the gender before the parents can..
Any blow back by giving it to the Hawk fans straight???

A healthy Howard at 125 wil make for an amazing squad. I think the men in blue are the favorites with or without him but the following lineup, if healthy, is going to be must see wrestling:

Howard
RBY
BB-Lite
SVN
Levi
Facundo
CStar
AB
Dean
Kerk

Reactions: kevin310
A healthy Howard at 125 wil make for an amazing squad. I think the men in blue are the favorites with or without him but the following lineup, if healthy, is going to be must see wrestling:

Howard
RBY
BB-Lite
SVN
Levi
Facundo
CStar
AB
Dean
Kerk
PSU could probability win it all even witout a 125 this year

Since Nico, we've 2 total points at 125 over 5 NCAAs:

2017 - 0
2018 - 0
2019 - 0
2021 - 1.5
2022 - 0.5

We've won 4/5 of them so yeah, we've done okay overall without 125. I would like to address that problem though. Been too long.

It might have to wait until McGowan :-(

Unless I missed something Steen is able to wrestle. Not sure what his ceiling is, but right now and likely this year he is not on the same level as RH (when healthy).
I'd put him pretty close to RH when he's on his game. And I'll say the practice partners he's working with have improved him tremendously from highschool.

I'd put him pretty close to RH when he's on his game. And I'll say the practice partners he's working with have improved him tremendously from highschool.
Based on what exactly? Have you been watching them scrap? Talking to them or their team? You often provide good info, but lawd I wish you would reveal some semblance of source sometimes.

I'm not sure Van Ness is a big 149 if we're going in by walkaround weight. He was wrestling 138 as a HS senior.

He has reach and might just have a ton of PFP power though. It's very much a factor and probably a reason why Cael was so high on him coming out of HS. It's no coincidence Bo weighed in probably like 190-192 all year for 197 and just horsed around much bigger guys like they were the ones wrestling up.

Kerk just posted a picture of them together. SVN looks really big.

Based upon what? Gary is a .500 wrestler vs NQ guys.

I think we all hope that Steen makes strides in our room, but his record so far clearly indicates a NQ at this point in time. He is our insurance policy and will fill in adequately for duals for sure, but in terms of nationals potential, Robbie is "way" out in front.

I will breathe a deep sigh of relief when we exit March 2023 with a fully healthy RH, but between now and then I will try to manage my pucker during each and every match.

Based on what exactly? Have you been watching them scrap? Talking to them or their team? You often provide good info, but lawd I wish you would reveal some semblance of source sometimes.
I'll never give my source unless Flo later puts out an article on it. But I do know some ppl, especially a guy in a Hawkeye shirt!

• Haha
Reactions: 82bordeaux

I think we all hope that Steen makes strides in our room, but his record so far clearly indicates a NQ at this point in time. He is our insurance policy and will fill in adequately for duals for sure, but in terms of nationals potential, Robbie is "way" out in front.

I will breathe a deep sigh of relief when we exit March 2023 with a fully healthy RH, but between now and then I will try to manage my pucker during each and every match.
Bc I know for a fact who Gary is working out with daily.

I thing Gary can and will be elite. But I think Robbie already is (when healthy).

Based on what? He's never beaten one to my recollection.

In a sense this could be true in that a r16 performance is worth about a point so it's not a huge difference in national scoring, but howard is a far superior wrestler hth and as a dual option. even dinged up, he's shown the capability to be a top 20 guy.

Reactions: nitlion6
I’m not sure Gary can add and maintain good weight unfortunately. I know he’s been working on it for a while but still never looks big. That being said I would love to be wrong and I’m very happy Gary is a Lion. He’ll definitely be counted on many times in his career and make everyone around him better.

Definitely insanely loaded but the redshirting a guy cause ya can I hate. It’s one of the worst things imo about wrestling. If Haines is the best 157lber , and he can hold the weight all year, then he should go.
I still prefer the Zain, Nolf, Cenzo, Hall and Bo team. Just in terms of entertainment failure lol.

O'Toole
Griffith
Carr
Amine
Hamiti
Kharchla
Monday
Hall
Hall will scramble all around Kennedy in folk. Carr needs to stay down. He has no shot. 165 is loaded.

Hall will scramble all around Kennedy in folk. Carr needs to stay down. He has no shot. 165 is loaded.
Kennedy wrestles a lot like Marinelli. Very powerful clean attacks and brute bullying. It’s very effective and can overwhelm many (it did Facundo in 2019) but yes, his MO isn’t scrambling. As for Carr, he 100% has a shot at 165. I’d take him over anyone but Keegan right now tbh.

Reactions: nitlion6
This is not true. Steen is a .500 wrestler vs. the Opens circuit.

He faced one NQ -- Navy's Allen, who qualified in 2021 but DNQ in 2022. Steen lost that match.

ADVERTISEMENT