ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter back soon

I'm really not sure what to expect from him. Dude has bionic limbs these days and was off the mat for 6-8 months

I admire him. After what he's been through, just to be wrestling again is amazing. It'll be real interesting to see how he holds up through a brutal 2 and a half months.

tOSU picture: (Probably) Good news for tOSU.

PSU/tOSU picture: I personally see our ( significantly evolved) Zain Retherford , who straight-up beat Hunter's *much* better multi-time national champion brother two seasons ago, working him over. But then, I'm terribly biased....
Even odds Ryan sits him for our dual. Any takers?

Oh yea, Ryan isn't going to let Zain power-half the hell outta him...
He will not go under Zain....This is the MAIN reason Zain needs to get really good on his feet....He has gotten a lot better but needs to be great against the upper tier guys to insure a National Championship !!!!

Reactions: therod
He will not go under Zain....This is the MAIN reason Zain needs to get really good on his feet....He has gotten a lot better but needs to be great against the upper tier guys to insure a National Championship !!!!
Zain's not already really good/great on feet?

In any case, should probably be on high alert for average officials on Feb 5.

Reactions: diggerpup
I'm really not sure what to expect from him. Dude has bionic limbs these days and was off the mat for 6-8 months
From discussing Tommy John surgery with a friend who has trained pro athletes for 20 years:

TJ surgery is most known for baseball pitchers. Returning to pitch in 9 months is pretty aggressive, but not unique. But they're rarely effective until at least the next season after that. Velocity fine, maybe even improved -- control and command lag. They typically take an extended (3+ mo) injury rehab in the minors to focus on mechanics and further loosen the elbow.

Best guess on Stieber: Elbow joints should be strong, probably better than shoulders and wrists -- which might cause other problems. Arm, body, grip strength may still be an issue -- couldn't lift or wrestle until after rehab. Conditioning probably an issue. Range of motion possibly an issue, possible injury risk to shoulders, wrists, or back if his elbows get forced hard. Relearning mechanics and adapting to his elbows now being his strongest joints. May still be learning to trust his body.

The other variable: the new elbow ligaments were taken from his knees. This might not be a major risk, but it's hard to say he's invulnerable in a scramble or in a bow and arrow.

Gotta hand it to him, takes a lot of guts to return to this sport so soon after these procedures. TJ rehab is notoriously grueling, and he did it on both arms simultaneously. Retiring to the tanning salon would've been a whole lot easier. I wouldn't mind seeing him rewarded by medaling at nationals -- of course without impacting Zain or the team title.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtothemfp
Definitely a warrior......hope he does well, except against PSU. O$U must feel pretty good about the situation with Snyder coming back and Martin off shirt. March is going to be wild this year.

Not sure what you want. Perfection?? To give you an idea of what Zain has accomplished, as a TRUE FRESHMAN, Zain had 39 takedowns and gave up 3 in duals. In comparison, as a RS Freshman, David Taylor had 86 and gave up 5. Totally different styles, so I'll normalize it...Zain had 93% of the takedowns in his dual meet matches as a TRUE FRESHMAN, while DT, among the greatest that ever wrestled at PSU, had 95% as a RS FRESHMAN. Zain's style is different, he rides hard, while David was more offensive, but the percentages are comparable, and Zain did it without the benefit of a Redshirt. Add to this the 2015-16 stat that shows Zain - 8, Opponents - 0, in the dual meet takedown category, and I think we've reached any reasonable persons definition of GREAT.

th

Reactions: hlstone and KBO
Not sure what you want. Perfection?? To give you an idea of what Zain has accomplished, as a TRUE FRESHMAN, Zain had 39 takedowns and gave up 3 in duals. In comparison, as a RS Freshman, David Taylor had 86 and gave up 5. Totally different styles, so I'll normalize it...Zain had 93% of the takedowns in his dual meet matches as a TRUE FRESHMAN, while DT, among the greatest that ever wrestled at PSU, had 95% as a RS FRESHMAN. Zain's style is different, he rides hard, while David was more offensive, but the percentages are comparable, and Zain did it without the benefit of a Redshirt. Add to this the 2015-16 stat that shows Zain - 8, Opponents - 0, in the dual meet takedown category, and I think we've reached any reasonable persons definition of GREAT.
I'm curious about Coach Spyker's diagnosis of Zain's issues on feet (I have no idea what those might be). Plus his solution -- maybe Zain should add a duck under when he's behind?

I'm curious about Coach Spyker's diagnosis of Zain's issues on feet (I have no idea what those might be). Plus his solution -- maybe Zain should add a duck under when he's behind?

Thats a classic that will surely live on.....

I could be wrong, but I think Ryan is wasting RS years of Myles Martin and Kyle Snyder! I can't see Hunter high on the podium, Myles could place anywhere at 174 including rd of 12 and Kyle giving up significant weight at HWT may not get too much more than Tavanello. I base Snyder's limited +points on the weight difference (see DT's performance at the Midlands). Facing the HWTs the size of Koon and a number of others will take a toll not to mention the fewer bouts he will have wrestled in Folk Style.

He has been working out hard with his brother Logan for those who have seen the video. I think Zain beats him bad though....

I don't follow. Are you suggesting that brothers, who have been sharing the mat since.....I don't know...20 years ago...is somehow working harder with his brother and will be better for it?

Hunter is a high quality wrestler who has suffered injuries that have threatened his ability to continue. Hopefully he returns, but he won't be challenging for the top of the podium, no matter who he's practicing with.

Look, I like Hunter (and I liked his brother, too) an they seem like really good people and are great talents at wrestling. But Hunter could train with a brown bear and he still won't beat Zain this year.

Alex Dieringer is the best P4P in the country followed by Zain. Hunter Steiber isn't being him this year and neither is Brandon Sorenson (as plenty of Hawk fans will tell you). I expect Zain at the top of the podium this year. If I had to pick one person who was going to win an individual title from the PSU team this season it would be Zain over anybody else.

Look, I like Hunter (and I liked his brother, too) an they seem like really good people and are great talents at wrestling. But Hunter could train with a brown bear and he still won't beat Zain this year.

Alex Dieringer is the best P4P in the country followed by Zain. Hunter Steiber isn't being him this year and neither is Brandon Sorenson (as plenty of Hawk fans will tell you). I expect Zain at the top of the podium this year. If I had to pick one person who was going to win an individual title from the PSU team this season it would be Zain over anybody else.
The brown bear won't beat Zain either.

Reactions: burnsie1983
He has been working out hard with his brother Logan for those who have seen the video. I think Zain beats him bad though....
I don't follow. Are you suggesting that brothers, who have been sharing the mat since.....I don't know...20 years ago...is somehow working harder with his brother and will be better for it?

Hunter is a high quality wrestler who has suffered injuries that have threatened his ability to continue. Hopefully he returns, but he won't be challenging for the top of the podium, no matter who he's practicing with.

Here's a screenshot from the video Spyker was referring to:

44385d1423099466-2wd_lift_level_options_2014-uploadfromtaptalk1423099459836.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT