ADVERTISEMENT

I’m calling it now…

I hope you're right! I was thinking last night about that dual, and I think Iowa wins the bonus point battle/criteria. If so, that means we would need to win at least 6 matches to win the dual. Very doable, but there will be more closely contested matches next Friday compared with the Michigan dual last night.

Reactions: champlion
We win 9/10 matches next week against iowa!!

And no I’m not smoking anything, and I stopped drinking last night at 10pm…
25 S Lee FALL Steen, 6-0 Iowa
33 RBY MAJOR Teske, 6-4 Iowa
41 Woods DEC Bartlett, 9-4 Iowa
49 SVN DEC Murin, 9-7 Iowa
57 Haines DEC Siebrecht, 10-9 PSU
65 Facundo DEC Kennedy, 13-9 PSU
74 Starocci MAJOR Brands, 17-9 PSU
84 Brooks MAJOR Assad, 21-9 PSU
97 Dean DEC Warner, 24-9 PSU
HW Kerk DEC Cassioppi, 27-9 PSU

Excited Hell Yeah GIF by UFC

I could see this happening. I wouldn't be disappointed. I'm hoping for a little more crowd energy in the first half than last night to help get RBY fired up!

Reactions: cp4psu
I could see this happening. I wouldn't be disappointed. I'm hoping for a little more crowd energy in the first half than last night to help get RBY fired up!
I like this mostly. I’m not sure Starocci Majors Brands but I hope so. I could see one of the 3 matches Facundo, Dean, Kerk going their way in a close one. But I could also see Bartlett knocking off Woods as well. I like PSU 20- 12. But I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if they won 27 - 6.

Could happen, but perhaps a bit optimistic.

149 and 165 are both toss-ups IMO; you have PSU winning both.
PSU is only a slight favorite at 197 and 285.
And PSU may not major at 174 or 184.

I'd say a more likely score is 23-12, PSU, but could be closer, say 20-15. It's not crazy to think that this could come down to the last couple bouts.

Last edited:
9 of 10? That might mean we peak too early. We don't do that.

Giving credit where credit is due, Iowa is better than most are predicting. They could put 4-5 into the semis, while we could put 6 into the finals ;-). I say 6-7 of 10, but I would love to be wrong on the conservative end.

March baby.

Could happen, but perhaps a bit optimistic.

149 and 165 are both toss-ups IMO; you have PSU winning both.
PSU is only a slight favorite at 197 and 285.
And PSU may not major at 174 or 184.

I'd say a more likely score is 23-12, PSU, but could be closer, say 20-15. It's not crazy to think that this could come down to the last couple bouts.
I understand why you would say that. However, I think we will steamroll them. Hence, those predictions.

Reactions: cp4psu
I think he means Cael will send Shindeldecker out in Steen’s place. I didn’t watch Steen’s match against Medley yet, but sounded like maybe his effort wasn’t great
I think all of the 125s were have rolled out for the past 5 years have had grit, determination and heart. Its very rare where a blue and whiter's effort falls short.

Steen's challenge is he looks a little undersized, and frankly D1 & especially Big 10 competition is just on a different level.

With absolutely no disrespect intended (he is a multi time state champ) there are very distinct tiers at this level. I'll stick by my assertion given 3 more years he might be a blood round guy.

Just as a 'gross' illustration. 50 states x 2 divisions per state = 100 x 14 weight classes = 1400 x 5 years of eligibility = 7000 possible state champs at the collegiate level at any one time ( ignoring multi timers and many other factors). Realistically there are probably between 500-1500 sprinkled across the NCAA in a given year.

The key takeaway is almost every team is loaded with state champs, as they really are a dime a dozen, but very few are truly elite. Just being a national qualifier that goes 0-2 at nationals means you are very very good.

I think he means Cael will send Shindeldecker out in Steen’s place. I didn’t watch Steen’s match against Medley yet, but sounded like maybe his effort wasn’t great
Dunno about a lack of effort. I think Steen was just overmatched. He appears to be at a size and strength disadvantage against most guys, like he still needs to grow into the weight class to even be competitive against the average B10 guy.

Reactions: Ski
49 Murin DEC SVN, 12-4 Iowa
57 Haines DEC Siebrecht, 12-7 Iowa
65 Facundo DEC Kennedy, 12-10 Iowa
74 Starocci MAJOR Brands, 12-14 PSU
84 Brooks DEC Assad, 12-17 PSU
97 Dean DEC Warner, 12-20 PSU
HW Cass DEC Kerk, 15-20 PSU

Homer in me wants to say PSU takes 9 matches but objectively that’s tough. So many great matches in this one. Could be close or could see PSU running away with it.

Pretty much a given that the 4 young horses of the appocalypse will determine the outcome.

Bartlett, SVN, Haynes, Facundo could arguably go anywhere from 4-0 to 0-4. My gut says 2-2 or 3-1. Beau taking out Real is asking a lot, but he is our most experienced young gun, so he should be ready.

Hopefully Kerk rebounds from Friday night. He ran out of steam pretty bad. You just aren't beating Mason and Cass at less then 100 percent.

125-Lee pin. Would have been faster, but he’s sick and his knees.
133-Teske wins on stalling points because all RBY does is stall.
141-Woods wins because he’s a hawk now.
149- Murin because he’s wrestling mad and put up bonus points at hawk teammate/other teams 3rd stringer tournament.
157-Siebrecht. Think he’s a Superman club kid and probably rolls with Morningstar which is way better than rolling with Cunningham.
165-Baby Bull of course. He will have a better career than Vincenzo and Facundo.
174-Brands. HR guy said he was gonna gas Brooks then tear him a new one so probably the same for Carter.
184-Assad because he loves wrestling.
197-Warnerov wins, doesn’t cry, doesn’t question why he is the way he is. All his lady hawk fans back in Iowa throw their undergarments at his image on their TVs.
HWT-Cass because Kerk lost Michigan match

125-Lee pin. Would have been faster, but he’s sick and his knees.
133-Teske wins on stalling points because all RBY does is stall.
141-Woods wins because he’s a hawk now.
149- Murin because he’s wrestling mad and put up bonus points at hawk teammate/other teams 3rd stringer tournament.
157-Siebrecht. Think he’s a Superman club kid and probably rolls with Morningstar which is way better than rolling with Cunningham.
165-Baby Bull of course. He will have a better career than Vincenzo and Facundo.
174-Brands. HR guy said he was gonna gas Brooks then tear him a new one so probably the same for Carter.
184-Assad because he loves wrestling.
197-Warnerov wins, doesn’t cry, doesn’t question why he is the way he is. All his lady hawk fans back in Iowa throw their undergarments at his image on their TVs.
HWT-Cass because Kerk lost Michigan match
Did you copy and paste this from an HR post? That's good stuff though

Bartlet at 141 is beginning to look a little beastly. Winning 9 out of 10 isn't a given, but neither is it farfetched as your 8 / 10 prediction indicates.

Iowa will show up prepared to push, shove and fight their rears off. Penn State will show up prepared to wrestle hard.

I almost made a similar post “several” pints into my day last weekend . . . but history tells me to expect the unexpected when these 2 teams get together. Watch, I’ll end up having it 8-2 or something when it comes time for KYPSW picks. 🫠

Reactions: danoftw
I think RBY was fired up. When Ragusin got that lame TD, my first thought was, Oh, man, RBY is going to:
(a) unleash fury on him, or
(b) ride him the rest of the match show him who’s boss.

I actually liked (b) in that scenario. Sets up (a) quite nicely for March, when points matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT