ADVERTISEMENT

I voted for Biden in 2020. I won’t do it again

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
Another one bites the dust.............. Only the most ardent of the cultists will be left. Like @fbh1

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/3074033/i-voted-for-biden-in-2020-i-wont-do-it-again/

I’ve voted for the Democratic candidate for president in every election since I could vote, all the way back to 1988. Now, at 55 years old, I’m a registered independent. And I will not vote for any Democratic candidate for president in this election, very possibly in any election ever again.

But I also think President Joe Biden needs to step down, for the sake of democracy.

We need two viable, sentient candidates who could actually lead the country and serve honorably and honestly in order for this country to call itself a democratic republic.

I continue to consider myself a liberal (not a “progressive”) despite walking away from the Democratic Party in 2021. I believe in expansive individual rights and freedoms, including free speech and bodily autonomy. I thought the Democrats believed in these things as well as standing up for the most vulnerable in our society. I thought they cared about women’s rights and actually knew what a woman was.

But their handling of COVID-19 was such a trespass of the Democrats’ own stated values (severely restricting our speech and movement, violating our bodily autonomy, forcing women out of the workforce to care for their children, enacting policies that harmed the poorest among us the most, shutting down public schools while private schools remained open) that I doubt I could ever bring myself to vote that way again.

I deeply regret my vote for Biden in 2020. I did it out of some combination of habit, lingering but fading Trump derangement syndrome, and mistakenly believing that if Biden won, the Democrats would stop their illiberal COVID-19 policies when it was no longer a viable political strategy to position themselves as everything that is the opposite of Donald Trump. (Go ahead, laugh at me. I don’t mind.)

I thought that once Trump was out of the way, the Democrats would be free, and willing, to forge ahead with opening schools to benefit the nation’s nearly 100 million public school children. Biden could open the schools and declare that he’d beat COVID! I feared the feud and polarization would just continue if Trump won, with Democratic governors going even harder against him.

I was wrong about it all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News