ADVERTISEMENT

Idea for stalling

RB-Old

Jan 22, 2020
In my opinion too many guys want to just shove, back up and take half shots on the edge to make it look like they're doing something. We all know they're trying to keep things close so they can get lucky and win on the only actual flurry of the match. To combat this I say we change the rule that if you haven't taken a committed shot in the first period your opponent won't be hit for stalling in the third. Force actual action in the first period or your opponent will be allowed to stall his ass off during the last two minutes. It will also let the ref put his whistle in his pocket and not make stupid decisions that ruin the sport.

In my opinion too many guys want to just shove, back up and take half shots on the edge to make it look like they're doing something. We all know they're trying to keep things close so they can get lucky and win on the only actual flurry of the match. To combat this I say we change the rule that if you haven't taken a committed shot in the first period your opponent won't be hit for stalling in the third. Force actual action in the first period or your opponent will be allowed to stall his ass off during the last two minutes. It will also let the ref put his whistle in his pocket and not make stupid decisions that ruin the sport.
Too confusing, and what defines a shot? Not gonna happen.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Don't like it. The sport needs a clear definition for stalling that is applicable throughout all periods. With your rules, I have visions of Iowa wrestlers running around in a circle the entire 3rd period.

Last edited:
Scoreless first = double stall. Might not be equitable, but it will liven up the 3rd period.

Also when guy on bottom clearly has one and ref is just waiting to see if it will be 2 reversal or 1 and 3, hold the 1 and freeze the f’ing riding time.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoHunter0210
Stalling has been an issue with me for years.
No , I m not one of those fans that yell from whistle to whistle.
I thought the refs in the tournament were slow on first period stalls. You don't need a clear cut description of stalling from the feet. You know it when you see it. If a guy is circling on perimeter in first period, that's a stall. Eliminate the kid using out of bounds as a tactic. Make them engage. If the higher ups need to put a inner 3 to 4 foot line inside the out of bounds line do so. If you don't stay in the inner line ,call it. That extra 3/4 foot would allow kids to finish without out of bounds being a hinderous.

I was wondering if forcing the ref to make a stalling call at the end of every period that does not have an offensive point scored. First period ends 0-0 then ref has to decide who was forcing action. Same with 2nd and third however might want to avoid for 3rd period. Of course this can be tweaked a little.

Also if you score the first offensive point in a match you get choice for 2nd period and overtime. Might encourage someone to initiate earlier knowing it may benefit long term.

Reactions: RB-Old
"The committed shot rule"

giphy.gif

I found it odd how the refs didn't seem to call much stalling (unless it was so over the top) the entire tournament but in the finals they for the most part did.. Ayala did himself a great injustice by not shooting, I think the stalls were there if he just pushed a little for them.

How about every time a part of a wrestler's body crosses the outer circle,opponent gets a point. That would keep them in center of mat.

First of all - Why do we have a stall warning?

In football if you do not get the play off in the allotted time -they do not warn you. You get a 5 yard penalty.

In basketball if you do not get a shot off in 24 seconds, they do not warn you - you lose the ball.

Also, make each stalling call worth a point more than the previous one. First one is 1 point. The second one is 2 points etc. That will eliminate a lot of stalling.

Get rid of the random stalemate call. If neither guy can move, then fine call it a stalemate. If one guy is trying to improve and the other is holding on to stop action and not get scored on - call it stalling and then restart them. There is no reason that a guy should be able to simply hold onto another guy to stop him from improving and get away with it.

Don't tell me in a front headlock position that neither guy can improve.

Get rid of the DQ for stalling and just let them like they are and call stalling like it should be called.

First of all - Why do we have a stall warning?

In football if you do not get the play off in the allotted time -they do not warn you. You get a 5 yard penalty.

In basketball if you do not get a shot off in 24 seconds, they do not warn you - you lose the ball.

Also, make each stalling call worth a point more than the previous one. First one is 1 point. The second one is 2 points etc. That will eliminate a lot of stalling.

Get rid of the random stalemate call. If neither guy can move, then fine call it a stalemate. If one guy is trying to improve and the other is holding on to stop action and not get scored on - call it stalling and then restart them. There is no reason that a guy should be able to simply hold onto another guy to stop him from improving and get away with it.

Don't tell me in a front headlock position that neither guy can improve.
May cause a riot in the gym. Stalling calls are so judgemental as it is.

How about the rule being changed to first stall call results in a DQ. That would encourage a lot more action! Plus, we would have the added entertainment of watching the usual cast of characters ranting and raving at a level that would make a Donald Duck temper tantrum seem mild in comparison! 😈

It's on the refs to enforce the rules. It shouldn't be that hard.
Actually it is. The reason being that the coaches have a LOT to say about what refs are used for duals and tournaments. Do something that annoys the wrong coach and you can end up on the outside looking in.

I hate when a wrestler chooses neutral and then proceeds to not attempt a single shot.
It's like choosing bottom and just being an "iron frog".
It was your choice, do something with it.

Don't like it. The sport needs a clear definition for stalling that is applicable throughout all periods. With your rules, I have visions of Iowa wrestlers running around in a circle the entire 3rd period.
The definition isn't the problem so much as however they do their "points of emphasis" in the "rules interpretation", which I'm assuming is similar to how PIAA ref chapters do ours, well, they're doing a mediocre job.

Take the first two periods of 157. Very similar to Stallica vs RETHERFORD in Stillwater years ago. Zain won a boring decision, no takedowns, because they let Stallica post on the head the entire damn match, so Zain really couldn't close distance safely and rip his damn arms off. Essentially what Teemer was doing. Textbook neutral stalling. Then they call stalling more aggressively at other matches.

I can only assume that something is screwy in ref evaluations or whatever.

The definition isn't the problem so much as however they do their "points of emphasis" in the "rules interpretation", which I'm assuming is similar to how PIAA ref chapters do ours, well, they're doing a mediocre job.

Take the first two periods of 157. Very similar to Stallica vs RETHERFORD in Stillwater years ago. Zain won a boring decision, no takedowns, because they let Stallica post on the head the entire damn match, so Zain really couldn't close distance safely and rip his damn arms off. Essentially what Teemer was doing. Textbook neutral stalling. Then they call stalling more aggressively at other matches.

I can only assume that something is screwy in ref evaluations or whatever.
Well then ref eval, training and getting booted if they don't understand or implement the existing rules might be the answer. What do you think?

Actually it is. The reason being that the coaches have a LOT to say about what refs are used for duals and tournaments. Do something that annoys the wrong coach and you can end up on the outside looking in.
I think the BIG sets the ref schedule not the coaches!!!

I think the BIG sets the ref schedule not the coaches!!!
They might set the schedule, but from what I understand, the coaches have a lot to say about who is acceptable to be selected. If someone with more knowledge on this subject knows differently, feel free to correct me. That's just my current understanding.

Well then ref eval, training and getting booted if they don't understand or implement the existing rules might be the answer. What do you think?
Who knows

In PIAA officiating, some chapters do a better job than others, not just in wrestling, but in every sport, in terms of training itself plus evaluations plus assignments.

There has to be a desire to improve too.

I say let AI call stalling. Take the human element out of it and let AI dictate if someone is stalling lmfao. They could ignore all the stall yells from the crowd and could determine who is being offensive and who is being defensive lol

Reactions: PSU Mike
1. Pushout. Simple and effective at forcing action to the center.

Also, I'd like to see more emphasis on getting wrestlers back to the line after stoppage. Perhaps a play clock/pitch clock like in football/baseball. X seconds to get back to the line or its a stall by rule.

3. Call fleeing the mat anytime a wrestler tries to leave the circle to avoid being scored on.

I think 1 and 3 force action in the way that the 3 pt takedown was meant to. #2 speeds up matches and rewards the better conditioned wrestler.

Reactions: Split shot
Push out or touching out of bounds line in neutral position equals stall, no dq, just point each time, also allow locked hands and award point for each minute of riding time, unless eliminate riding time which tracks more to freestyle

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT