ADVERTISEMENT

If you were influential within PSU's Admin, how much would you increase Franklin's pay to keep him?

These guys work under a contract and are not "at will" employees. Gonna be tough to get any professional to work under those circumstances.

Who are these "plenty of people who eat what they kill"?
Lots of commissioned sales people, independent contractors, small business owners, lawyers, doctors, dentists, etc. I do some consulting for a few MSPs and don’t get a salary from them, I only get paid when I produce billable hours.

I agree it’s not a contract structure a coach would likely willingly agree to but when we’re talking mega-salaries I think it is fair to tie compensation very closely to performance.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
I would keep Franklin’s base salary where it is but update contract to be heavy on incentives. Maybe even a clause to increase his base salary based on certain achievement.

He wants to win a national championship. His problem with Penn State is that they have the resources but he doesn’t feel that they are committed to doing so.
How many teams made it to the cfp with less? Many.!! No more stories.

Give us that problem any day!!!
I call BS on that….if we won a NC due to an OC and then had a couple of average seasons, many on this board would have the torches and pitchforks out.

This link will help you gauge the salaries of other coaches, but you'll need to sort by "Scheduled School Pay".

1. Swinney $9.5 MM
2. Saban $9.5
3. Shaw $8.9
4. Orgeron $8.7
5. Riley $7.9
6. Mullen $7.6
7. Fisher $7.5
8. Smart $7.0
9. Franklin $7.0
10. Day $6.8
11. Patterson $6.1
12. Fitzgerald $5.8
13. Tucker $5.6
14. C. Kelly $5.6
15. Sarkisian $5.5
16. Stoops $5.3
17. Whittingham $5.2

What's wrong with tying pay to performance like everyone else. This guaranteed income stuff contributes to inflated salaries. It's no different than what happened to tuition costs when the government took over student loans. There's no end in sight! That said, I can't believe Stanford pays Shaw that much. TCU and Patterson, too. I remember when Patterson first got here. He was sleeping out of his car. Now that's when you want to hook them. When they're young, energetic and poor. That's what PSU should aspire to and not some 'name' coach.

You said when the board was announced to be moving that you have 10 registered.
I only registered one....the same as here. Go check for yourself.

You misinterpreted what I typed....."I might need to dust off the 10 or so handles I had pre-PPB."

All 10 were banned one at a time, but I only ever had one at a time...

Last edited:
What's wrong with tying pay to performance like everyone else. This guaranteed income stuff contributes to inflated salaries. It's no different than what happened to tuition costs when the government took over student loans. There's no end in sight! That said, I can't believe Stanford pays Shaw that much. TCU and Patterson, too. I remember when Patterson first got here. He was sleeping out of his car. Now that's when you want to hook them. When they're young, energetic and poor. That's what PSU should aspire to and not some 'name' coach.
The market determines what you get paid. No one makes “too much money”, if someone is willing to pay them that much, then that’s exactly what they’re worth. If businesses consistently pay people too much, they will be out of business soon.

I call BS on that….if we won a NC due to an OC and then had a couple of average seasons, many on this board would have the torches and pitchforks out
Lol. You would.

I don’t even know how to respond to that nonsense.

I don't think there are going to be any negotiations. I think he's leaving and he isn't going to make an effort to stay at PSU.

Up until Saturday, my thinking was that he would likely get an offer from either USC or LSU and use it to negotiate a better package from PSU - his salary, assistant's salaries, facilities upgrades, etc. I think PSU would have responded with an appropriate package and he probably would have stayed.

I think Saturday's loss changes everything. If you and your agent are going to handle your contract negotiations through the national media by attaching your name to every big time opening and then refusing to deny your interest (ala Jimbo, Dabo, and Tomlin) then you better not $hit the bed against a team like Illinois. I think he realizes that loss cost him a lot of support among the fans and probably in the administration too, because of the way he has allowed the media stories to circulate regarding USC and LSU.

He also sees what we see - this team is likely headed for a 2-5 finish after starting the year at 5-0. He's going to lose even more support by the end of the year. Next year isn't going to be easy either - there is a reasonable chance they are 3-3 and perhaps even 2-4 by mid year if they drop the opener on the road at Purdue. His seat will be uncomfortably warm by the end of this year and perhaps even hot by mid year 2022.

So, if he has the opportunity to bolt to LSU for a 5 year guaranteed $45 million, he's going to get out of town for a completely fresh start while he can because he's not getting another offer like that if he goes 4-5, 7-5, and 7-5 in 2020, 2021, and 2022.

I believe LSU will overlook 2020 and the second half of 2021 to get him to Baton Rouge with a very big contract and Franklin will jump on it.

Reactions: MacNit07
Lol. You would.

I don’t even know how to respond to that nonsense.
I would? Really? I don’t have the torches and pitchforks out now, so why would I? Talk about nonsense. Holy sh!t.

I don't think there are going to be any negotiations. I think he's leaving and he isn't going to make an effort to stay at PSU.

Up until Saturday, my thinking was that he would likely get an offer from either USC or LSU and use it to negotiate a better package from PSU - his salary, assistant's salaries, facilities upgrades, etc. I think PSU would have responded with an appropriate package and he probably would have stayed.

I think Saturday's loss changes everything. If you and your agent are going to handle your contract negotiations through the national media by attaching your name to every big time opening and then refusing to deny your interest (ala Jimbo, Dabo, and Tomlin) then you better not $hit the bed against a team like Illinois. I think he realizes that loss cost him a lot of support among the fans and probably in the administration too, because of the way he has allowed the media stories to circulate regarding USC and LSU.

He also sees what we see - this team is likely headed for a 2-5 finish after starting the year at 5-0. He's going to lose even more support by the end of the year. Next year isn't going to be easy either - there is a reasonable chance they are 3-3 and perhaps even 2-4 by mid year if they drop the opener on the road at Purdue. His seat will be uncomfortably warm by the end of this year and perhaps even hot by mid year 2022.

So, if he has the opportunity to bolt to LSU for a 5 year guaranteed $45 million, he's going to get out of town for a completely fresh start while he can because he's not getting another offer like that if he goes 4-5, 7-5, and 7-5 in 2020, 2021, and 2022.

I believe LSU will overlook 2020 and the second half of 2021 to get him to Baton Rouge with a very big contract and Franklin will jump on it.
I fear PSU is stuck with the F'er......for four (4) more years.

Old Main has a cash flow problem (whether they realize it or not) and isn't interested in paying more $$$ for football. They will be perfectly content with sub-mediocrity unless some alumnus ponies up the $$ to remedy the situation.

It could be a downward spiral.....Old Main turns a blind eye to gradually declining football program results so as to not have to spend money they don't have (academic equivalent of "savings" ?) and the aging disinterested fan base responds accordingly....

Last edited:
Reactions: jimjim47
I would? Really? I don’t have the torches and pitchforks out now, so why would I? Talk about nonsense. Holy sh!t.
If we won a championship 2 years ago and lost everyone from that team we would not be like lsu. Don’t be stupid.

I can’t understand why he’d leave such loyal supporters. It amazes me. Give a fan base three 11 win seasons out of four after the worst sanctions ever, then have a bad Covid year, then have your team ranked in the top 4 when you get killed with injuries and they want you out. Yeah, I’d stay with that kind of support.

Reactions: Option Bob
If we won a championship 2 years ago and lost everyone from that team we would not be like lsu. Don’t be stupid.
And the same posters calling for his head now would be saying he only won because of the OC and he never really was that good and it’s time to move on. And if you don’t believe that, then you’re beyond stupid.

And the same posters calling for his head now would be saying he only won because of the OC and he never really was that good and it’s time to move on. And if you don’t believe that, then you’re beyond stupid.
I was at Ohio state in 2017 when we were kicking their ass and all of the alumni around me were calling for Meyers head!!!
So stop with the we are the only team to speculate or a small percentage say these things etc.

We are 5-2 which is where we should be and it was a rebuilding year after the debacle from last year.

I was at Ohio state in 2017 when we were kicking their ass and all of the alumni around me were calling for Meyers head!!!
So stop with the we are the only team to speculate or a small percentage say these things etc.

We are 5-2 which is where we should be and it was a rebuilding year after the debacle from last year.
I know there are morons in all fan bases that blame the coach for every loss and feel cheated when they lose any games. That’s kind of the point of all my posts. Not sure how you missed that so badly.

Nothing wrong with tying comp to performance, but that's not the market. Remember back in the old days when players in baseball and football were paid bonuses if they reached certain milestones? No more.

His team is not even bowl eligible at this point. What sure wins do you see on the schedule? Unless this season turns around I don’t see him getting the offer at either USC or LSU.

This link will help you gauge the salaries of other coaches, but you'll need to sort by "Scheduled School Pay".

1. Swinney $9.5 MM
2. Saban $9.5
3. Shaw $8.9
4. Orgeron $8.7
5. Riley $7.9
6. Mullen $7.6
7. Fisher $7.5
8. Smart $7.0
9. Franklin $7.0
10. Day $6.8
11. Patterson $6.1
12. Fitzgerald $5.8
13. Tucker $5.6
14. C. Kelly $5.6
15. Sarkisian $5.5
16. Stoops $5.3
17. Whittingham $5.2
Harbaugh is not in the top 17?

1. Swinney $9.5 MM Worth it, earned it.
2. Saban $9.5 See above and then some.
3. Shaw $8.9 Overpaid.
4. Orgeron $8.7 See Shaw, but man is he entertaining.
5. Riley $7.9 Free pass of the B12 will cut him down in a few years.
6. Mullen $7.6 Still feeling his way out at UF...no instant returns.
7. Fisher $7.5 has the history of winning, could be a good fit. Seems fair.
8. Smart $7.0 He'll move up the list after this year.
9. Franklin $7.0 1 BT title in 8 years, 1-7 vs. tOSU, never commits to the school, holds them hostage
10. Day $6.8 OSU is stealing him right now, but he'll get his bump too in time.

To be honest Mullen and Franklin are the ones not really earning their money this far, but Franklin is hiring a new agent and still playing chicken with the school every year while getting his buyout lowered. This I'm holding the school hostage for their own good is fine when you are going to NYD bowls, but you were 4-5 last year and are on your way to a 3rd straight loss this weekend. You will have to fight to get to 7 wins, still no fix to a broken running game, but want that money truck backing up every year. It's a hard sell to me now, but if you are doing it you have to go with what @ThePennsyOracle has above.
I mean if you want to be critical. Smart has never won the SEC, never beaten Alabama, never beaten LSU. Since he got there, they've played Bama once in the regular season (lost, didnt make CFP) and they've played LSU once in the regular season (lost, didnt make cfp).

UGA is probably a good representation of what PSU could be if they played in the Big Ten West and basically never played OSU or Michigan or Michigan State unless it was in the BTCG.

Reactions: razpsu
I mean if you want to be critical. Smart has never won the SEC, never beaten Alabama, never beaten LSU. Since he got there, they've played Bama once in the regular season (lost, didnt make CFP) and they've played LSU once in the regular season (lost, didnt make cfp).

UGA is probably a good representation of what PSU could be if they played in the Big Ten West and basically never played OSU or Michigan or Michigan State unless it was in the BTCG.

absolutely. Every year the best teams seem to avoid each other and the build up is huge at the sec champ where they finally play someone. The sec overall sucks this year.

Wow. Nostradamus has nothing on you.

1. Swinney $9.5 MM
2. Saban $9.5
3. Shaw $8.9
4. Orgeron $8.7
5. Riley $7.9
6. Mullen $7.6
7. Fisher $7.5
8. Smart $7.0
9. Franklin $7.0
10. Day $6.8
11. Patterson $6.1
12. Fitzgerald $5.8
13. Tucker $5.6
14. C. Kelly $5.6
15. Sarkisian $5.5
16. Stoops $5.3
17. Whittingham $5.2
that seems about right to me. So no I wouldn't bump his pay up anymore.
I'd have to see the asst's because thats probably where I would look first but from everything I read and see from the insiders its more program upgrades asst.s pay that Franklin wants them to invest in, not necessarily his salary.
But looking at that list Shaw is really overpaid and Day is woefully underpaid for his results.

IMO:

- $8m per year

- Commitments to rebuild/blow up/etc. Holuba and Nittany Apartments

- Very low buyout in the event PSU wants to "make a change in leadership for the football program"

- Buyout for Franklin to another school starts at $8m and decreases $500k annually

This would allow PSU to both address a couple of shortcomings while maintaining flexibility when/if Franklin isn't competing for B1G titles. If he doesn't take the above deal, let him walk.
That seems more than fair.

The issue is not with Franklin's pay. The issue is with everything else around the program/department financially. See below for what I mean (2020 means the 2019-2020 academic year so Covid doesn't really affect these numbers):

PENN STATE:
YearTotal RevenueTicket SalesContributionsRights / LicensingStudent FeesSchool FundsOther
2020$165,077,390$43,012,270$30,494,428$74,069,396$0$0$17,501,296
YearCoaching / StaffScholarshipsFacilities / OverheadTotal ExpensesOther
2020$60,835,093$21,673,848$27,228,908$157,908,311$48,170,462

OHIO STATE:
YearTotal RevenueTicket SalesContributionsRights / LicensingStudent FeesSchool FundsOther
2020$233,871,740$65,978,534$48,197,862$100,522,273$0$18,134$19,154,937
YearCoaching / StaffScholarshipsFacilities / OverheadTotal ExpensesOther
2020$78,815,629$21,524,454$58,169,068$215,209,566$56,700,415
giphy.gif

Excellent find on the revenue and expenses.

Nothing wrong with tying comp to performance, but that's not the market. Remember back in the old days when players in baseball and football were paid bonuses if they reached certain milestones? No more.
I wish they’d tie pay for performance in boxing. Winner gets “x” and loser gets less thsn “x”. Give them some incentive to actually fight.

I don't see a LSU offer if he goes 2-5 the remainder of the season. After Saturday, I doubt that 2-5 is guaranteed.

How many teams made it to the cfp with less? Many.!! No more stories.
His perceived lack of resources did not cause him to get out coached by Illinois or, to not have a better performance from his backup QB vs Iowa.

Reactions: BBrown

1. Swinney $9.5 MM
2. Saban $9.5
3. Shaw $8.9
4. Orgeron $8.7
5. Riley $7.9
6. Mullen $7.6
7. Fisher $7.5
8. Smart $7.0
9. Franklin $7.0
10. Day $6.8
11. Patterson $6.1
12. Fitzgerald $5.8
13. Tucker $5.6
14. C. Kelly $5.6
15. Sarkisian $5.5
16. Stoops $5.3
17. Whittingham $5.2
-25%

Franklin is seriously over-paid.

He wants to win a national championship. His problem with Penn State is that they have the resources but he doesn’t feel that they are committed to doing so.

His problem is that he isn't good enough of a coach to get it done with the resources he has. Franklin is all about Franklin. I figured this out years ago.

Reactions: Wesauking Lion
His perceived lack of resources did not cause him to get out coached by Illinois or, to not have a better performance from his backup QB vs Iowa.
He was out coached. No doubt about it. Bret put in that package and Franklin didnt have an answer.

Bret did the same thing on defense and frustrated our offensive line all day and franklin had no answers from the 1st quarter and more importantly in the middle of the 3rd and 4th quarter!!!!!!!!!!! No ball control and no explosive plays in the 2nd half.

so give BEliema credit. remember when he did the kickoff thing against us and wasted the rest of the time on the clock.

I would ask him what he wants/ needs. I meet most of his request on the flip side though I make the buyout impossible to stop the rumors every year.

I wish they’d tie pay for performance in boxing. Winner gets “x” and loser gets less thsn “x”. Give them some incentive to actually fight.
In a certain way they do. Champion always gets paid more so the incentive is to become the champ and maintain it.

Reactions: Meats Lab
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT