ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the Den: Notes on DT Mike Panasiuk

Aug 8, 2010
Following DT an update from our Rivals partner EdgyTim.com where the three-star from Roselle (Ill.) Lake Park recapped his experience and gave it solid reviews. I then later caught up with Panasiuk a couple days after the visit to go a little more in-depth about the offer and see where his recruitment stands now.

Just a few things to share from that convo, here:

After having some time to think about it all - and recover from the eight-and-a-half hour drive home - Panasiuk was still pretty impressed by the visit. Getting the offer on campus caused a lot of initial excitment, but after stepping back and letting things settle, he's still ranking Penn State as a favorite.

"It's one of the bigger schools that I've gotten offered from and they're definitely on the top of my list," Panasiuk said. "They're such a great school. The football tradition is huge down in Pennsylvania, so it was pretty big."

For the visit Panasiuk was accompanied by his brother, Jacub, a 2017 DE whom the PSU coaches also have an eye on. They traveled with their high school coach Chris Roll, and on the way home, Roll had only positive reviews of the visit, too. "So that was kind of cool," Panasiuk added.

James Franklin, Ricky Rahne and Sean Spencer had each been by Lake Park at some point throughout the winter, but this weekend's visit was the first time that Panasiuk really got to hang out with the coaches, learn more of what they're about and see how they are in their own environment.

The coaches put him on the scales once he got there and he weighed in at 285 pounds. With his frame, Franklin told him that they're recruiting him for the one-technique defensive tackle spot, and, ideally, he'll play his college ball between 310-315.

"Me and Coach Spencer talked a lot, too, about everything, about the whole program, and the D-line, and we got closer, I guess you can say," Panasiuk added. "Coach Franklin really enjoyed me being there, I could tell. Every time he would talk about something he would always come by and give me a handshake and stuff like that. I can definitely feel a connection going on between me and the staff, which is a good thing."

With the offer now and a stronger relationship with PSU's staff, where does that put Panasiuk's recruitment?

He said he's in no rush to make a call because, "I don't want to to make an early decision and then regret it." So, he wants to visit a few more programs this spring. Illinois will be next, and he hopes to visit Iowa State and Northern Illinois soon as well. He also wants to wait to see if any new offers come in.

"I'm definitely going to go visit more schools because I've only visited two schools so far: Iowa and Penn State, and those are both on top of my list," he said. "So I want to go out and see other schools, see where I'm comfortable at."

Once he sees a few more places, a decision by late spring/early summer is possible or before his senior season at the latest. New offers can always change things and he doesn't seem to be in a rush to make a decision, but right now PSU put itself in great position early and the Hawkeyes are the biggest competitor right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.