ADVERTISEMENT

Interest in Pry

Texas Lion

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2018
Certainly there will be interest in Pry after the season as a Head Coach. A place like Louisiana Tech maybe? Not sure how I would feel if he left.

Certainly there will be interest in Pry after the season as a Head Coach. A place like Louisiana Tech maybe? Not sure how I would feel if he left.
Supposedly he’s not interested in being a head coach and prefers being a coordinator. At least that’s been the scuttlebutt over the years. Of course even if true that attitude can change over the years.

Overall he has done a quality job as our defensive coordinator and will be missed if or when he leaves.

Reactions: psugo
Overall he has done a quality job as our defensive coordinator and will be missed if or when he leaves.

No doubt. A very solid DC, and there's no guarantee we'd find somebody on par or better.

Always thought he got a bad rap over the years with the late game meltdowns, when in fact the offense could never sustain drives and give the defense a break. Pry has been the most consistent element of this football program.

Not Pry related, but since you mentioned Louisiana, I cannot believe LSU is going to let FL snag Napier. Especially since he already is known by many HS in LA.

Looking like LSU and USC not getting sexy hires . We will see what happens and our CAC or whatever Marshall calls em will respond .

I don't know if he doesn't want to be a HC or if he doesn't want to be a 4th tier HC.

If a P5 school approaches, I think he listens.

I also think he realizes that he is in a good position and that failure at direction state school tech just sets you back.

No doubt. A very solid DC, and there's no guarantee we'd find somebody on par or better.

Always thought he got a bad rap over the years with the late game meltdowns, when in fact the offense could never sustain drives and give the defense a break. Pry has been the most consistent element of this football program.
I disagree. The hallmark of Pry’s defense has been to play well for 90% of the game and meltdown in crunch time. All they had to do was prevent OSU from scoring 2 TDS with 8 minutes to go in 2018 and they couldn’t close the deal. OSU scored the first TD on a long screen pass and the defense looked like it never saw that type of play. The defense gave up a game losing 47 yard TD to a TE on a simple crossing pattern thrown 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage against Michigan right after the offense put the team ahead. If I had $5 for every time PSU gets the opponent in third and long and he calls a telegraphed blitz which never gets to the QB and results in a first down or worse, I could go the best vacation imaginable. I don’t disagree with the comment that on balance his defenses have been good, but let’s not blame the critical 4th quarter meltdowns on something else.

Seems to me that Franklin assistants have not gotten many jobs at a higher level. If I am right, that is disconcerting, when others don’t want your people.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
If only there were interest we could get ready of the guy. With Franklin around for a long, long time, we need coordinators capable of shifting the offensive and defensive philosophies to match the talent on hand. Pry can't or won't. Yurcich has proven that he won't.

Seems to me that Franklin assistants have not gotten many jobs at a higher level. If I am right, that is disconcerting, when others don’t want your people.

I can't tell if that's serious or not? Here's a list of staff that left for promotions off the top of my head:

Gattis: OC at Michigan
Huff: HC at Marshall (presumed finalist for the VTech job too btw)
Moorhead: MSU HC, now OC at Oregon (presumed UW HC finalist)
Rahne: HC ODU
Bowen: TE coach in the NFL
Spencer: DL coach in the NFL
Banks: DC at Tenn
Parker: OC at WVU

I can't tell if that's serious or not? Here's a list of staff that left for promotions off the top of my head:

Throw stones now, ask questions later.

Reactions: RaymondReddington

Don’t confuse them with facts.

He is solid but also deserves that criticism. That U$C Rose Bowl loss is easily a top 5 dissapointing/annoying loss in PSU history. No way we should have blown that lead despite the offense not being able to grind out a 4th quarter drive. We had enough points to win. O$U in '17 and '18 rank up there as well.

Yeah, but other than those no one took a promotion. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
If only there were interest we could get ready of the guy. With Franklin around for a long, long time, we need coordinators capable of shifting the offensive and defensive philosophies to match the talent on hand. Pry can't or won't. Yurcich has proven that he won't.
Odd way to spend your twilight years. You should find something that makes you happy.

Well done. Facts are often in short supply when some of the critics get worked up.

I believe pry was in the running for the Michigan state job a few years back.

I disagree. The hallmark of Pry’s defense has been to play well for 90% of the game and meltdown in crunch time. All they had to do was prevent OSU from scoring 2 TDS with 8 minutes to go in 2018 and they couldn’t close the deal. OSU scored the first TD on a long screen pass and the defense looked like it never saw that type of play. The defense gave up a game losing 47 yard TD to a TE on a simple crossing pattern thrown 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage against Michigan right after the offense put the team ahead. If I had $5 for every time PSU gets the opponent in third and long and he calls a telegraphed blitz which never gets to the QB and results in a first down or worse, I could go the best vacation imaginable. I don’t disagree with the comment that on balance his defenses have been good, but let’s not blame the critical 4th quarter meltdowns on something else.
My only critique of Pry is that his blitzes have been predictable and ineffective. Almost always LBs, and almost always picked up.

Reactions: KC-KS-Lion
I’m sorry, were you talking?
It sounded like you were farting.
No matter, same orifice either way.

He's been a pretty consistent to good, but can come up missing in key situations. However, replacing him would be a roll of the dice...In my opinion, his staff has come up short on developing the DL and LB. Other than DEs that get drafted high for growth potential, when was the last time we had a DT that fans and the announcers focused on to dominate or change a game? He's 'developed' a few LBs, I just wonder why it took so long for the light bulb to come on for players like Brooks, or what seems like never for Brandon Smith. I'll give him more than a little break and some credit with how the defense has played, especially with some of their red zone and goal line defenses....at the same time, 'what if' players like Smith learned how to tackle and play through the whistle...with college kids, we'll always see this, regardless of the coach-would be nice for the player and coach to understand how a bench can be used for motivation.

Last edited:
Reactions: therod
Well, USC might just land Lincoln Riley, so......
I just saw that. My goodness would that be the most interesting catch of the season.

maybe now Oklahoma will get the hell out of the dmv. Hard enough with Ohio state and now a rejuvenated Harbaugh in there.

Well, USC might just land Lincoln Riley, so......
Yep I’m slightly surprised. Saw dat

giphy.gif

Franklin better be in constant contact with Allar from now until midnight tomorrow when the dead period begins. It is all but certain Bill O'Brien will nab an open job at a major D1 program and will be looking to turn over the roster. Throw in Riley and things could be tough.

• Haha
Reactions: RaymondReddington
Franklin better be in constant contact with Allar from now until midnight tomorrow when the dead period begins. It is all but certain Bill O'Brien will nab an open job at a major D1 program and will be looking to turn over the roster. Throw in Riley and things could be tough.
Riley may very well bring Caleb Williams with him, and will almost certainly flip Malachi Nelson. There's 0% chance he'll be in touch with Allar.

Why would Bill O'Brien, even if he were to nab a job?

With Franklin returning, expecting virtually all of our commits to sign. Not sure why the worry. Yes, a 7-5 season isn't a good look, but Texas A&M is bringing in a monster class and they're 8-4. Kids aren't swayed that easily.

Twitter world and the Supreme Court just chimed in ….
Unlike a lot of people on here I can admit when I was WAY wrong on something. I live 2 hours from Norman and people here are completely shocked. Not a peep about it. I based my thought on them laughing at every rumor and I was way wrong!

Riley may very well bring Caleb Williams with him, and will almost certainly flip Malachi Nelson. There's 0% chance he'll be in touch with Allar.

Why would Bill O'Brien, even if he were to nab a job?

With Franklin returning, expecting virtually all of our commits to sign. Not sure why the worry. Yes, a 7-5 season isn't a good look, but Texas A&M is bringing in a monster class and they're 8-4. Kids aren't swayed that easily.
He’s not worrying. He’s trying to stir up a shit storm around PSU. Of course, there is the possibility that he’s legitimately mentally ill.

I've been unimpressed. I don't expect him to go because I think Franklin got him a raise in the recent negotiation.

ADVERTISEMENT