ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa v Penn

oldcougar65

Mar 11, 2015
Just finished watching this dual. Wasn't bad (26-11 was the final, I think.) But the Penn 149 pounder wrestled like a 2nd grader. He had a 2-1 lead in 2nd and was on bottom when he got a headlock and took the Iowa kid over for 2+4, I think. Trying to get the pin, the Penn kid (ranked #12) looked like a 7 yr-old with his first headlock. I couldn't believe it. The Iowa kid finally rolled through and took the Penn kid right to his back (I wondered what took him so long) and decked him. Sad.
The Blair kids wrestling for Penn won. Iowa swept the upper weights, Penn split the lower weights. Can't say that Warner looked great. He won 11-10 because the Penn kid was totally gassed.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
It was 157. Artalona from Penn threw Siebrecht to his back. Siebrecht ended up reversing him and pinning him. Warner was up 8-1 after the first. Penn chose top and rode him the entire period getting 2 sets of 4 NF in the process. 9-8 in the third and Warner chose neutral and took him down. Rode him almost the entire period. Got a stall point to go up 11-9. Penn escaped with 3 seconds left. Final 11-10.

It was 157. Artalona from Penn threw Siebrecht to his back. Siebrecht ended up reversing him and pinning him. Warner was up 8-1 after the first. Penn chose top and rode him the entire period getting 2 sets of 4 NF in the process. 9-8 in the third and Warner chose neutral and took him down. Rode him almost the entire period. Got a stall point to go up 11-9. Penn escaped with 3 seconds left. Final 11-10.
I haven't watched it. The last set of back points that was reversed. Back or not?

The buzzer sounded a full second after the clock was out. He had two legit swipes before the buzzer but only one before the actual period ended. I have not seen Warner have such trouble defending tilts since his Midlands loss 4 years ago.

Reactions: nitlion6
Referee awarded 2 additional near fall points at the end of the period. Brands challenged and they were overturned because the clock ran out before the count.
Are you going by the clock shown on Big10+ feed because I don't think it was correct the entire match. Or was their a view of the official clock Matside. Probably a simple reason but what I didn't understand was why they restarted the match after the challenge with 2 seconds left in second period.

Are you going by the clock shown on Big10+ feed because I don't think it was correct the entire match. Or was their a view of the official clock Matside. Probably a simple reason but what I didn't understand was why they restarted the match after the challenge with 2 seconds left in second period.
It was officially 1.8 seconds.
giphy.gif

Bad scheduling on everyone's part... a couple of days after Thanksgiving?
That had to be a tough cut- even if folks were super disciplined on the holiday...

definitely recommend catching the 149 match. both guys wrestled well. tons of attacks on both sides. good scrambles. match of the dual on paper coming in and it delivered.
Thoughts on Siebrecht? I didn't watch but I know he pinned Artalona. His results are pretty impressive especially since most thought 157 might be a non NQ weight for Iowa. Was the Artalona pin anything like when the Princeton backup heavy pinned Cass? Regardless, he likely is moving up the rankings fast.

That being said, he bonused Grover, which is impressive when you go up a weight and he also majored the Army guy (who Haines beat 7-4)

Thoughts on Siebrecht? I didn't watch but I know he pinned Artalona. His results are pretty impressive especially since most thought 157 might be a non NQ weight for Iowa. Was the Artalona pin anything like when the Princeton backup heavy pinned Cass? Regardless, he likely is moving up the rankings fast.

That being said, he bonused Grover, which is impressive when you go up a weight and he also majored the Army guy (who Haines beat 7-4)
yes exactly like that. got headlocked to his back. was down 9-1 and rolled him through and pinned him.

seibrecht is fun and dangerous, but closer to not qualifying than placing. much closer imo. i think he qualifies though and if he can pin someone on the backside, he basically scores out as a r12 finisher so i'd be pretty happy with it. definitely rooting for him because he's fun to watch, but you could also see what happens to him when he runs into someone good minus the flukey roll through.

i do think he'd have a shot at barraclough for the dual and that's more than i expected. he's definitely improved quite a bit over the past few years. he's surprisingly old. seems like he'd be a freshman, but this is his 4th year.

yes exactly like that. got headlocked to his back. was down 9-1 and rolled him through and pinned him.

seibrecht is fun and dangerous, but closer to not qualifying than placing. much closer imo. i think he qualifies though and if he can pin someone on the backside, he basically scores out as a r12 finisher so i'd be pretty happy with it. definitely rooting for him because he's fun to watch, but you could also see what happens to him when he runs into someone good minus the flukey roll through.

i do think he'd have a shot at barraclough for the dual and that's more than i expected. he's definitely improved quite a bit over the past few years. he's surprisingly old. seems like he'd be a freshman, but this is his 4th year.
Early Penn State vs Iowa dual meet predictions:
based on Seibrecht's early season results - "most pundents" have now moved this weight from Penn State's column over to a win for Iowa which would then give Iowa an edge in their "way too early" dual meet projections
125- Lee TF (0-5)
133- Young maj (4-5)
141- Woods Dec (4-8)
149- Murin Dec (4-11)
157- Seibrecht Dec (4-14)
165- Kennedy Dec (4-17)
174- Starocci Dec (7-17)
184- BrookS Maj (11-17)
197- Dean Dec (14- 17)
285- Kerkvliet Dec (17-17) Iowa wins based on Lee's TF

I think Penn State takes two of 141/149/157.

I would not be surprised to see Haines go here, and that would definitely tip the scales towards Penn State at 157. He could wrestle at the Scuffle unattached (or attached), then start at 157 against tOSU and Iowa, then go to opens the rest of the year unattached to get reps in. At most, five total attached days.

Reactions: nitlion6

I would not be surprised to see Haines go here, and that would definitely tip the scales towards Penn State at 157. He could wrestle at the Scuffle unattached (or attached), then start at 157 against tOSU and Iowa, then go to opens the rest of the year unattached to get reps in. At most, five total attached days.
If Haines wrestles after December 31 his shirt is burned, no? Don't the 5 attached starts have to be 1st semester? Maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

At LEAST two.

Really? I'm hearing Spencer is likely a go for Iowa State.
Good telltale. If he is healthy I would think they send him out. It's one thing to annually finish 3rd to PSU and whichever program finishes second, but finishing second in Iowa would really hurt.

Last edited:
Let's discuss:
SVN vs. MAX. Max has the good defense and keeps the matches close. SVN seems to have the high motor and he keeps going. Can he get ahead of Max and stay there?

Reactions: diggerpup
Let's discuss:
SVN vs. MAX. Max has the good defense and keeps the matches close. SVN seems to have the high motor and he keeps going. Can he get ahead of Max and stay there?
I think SVN is the more dynamic wrestler for sure and by nationals would definitely win. First match I could see Murin winning but much like RBY and Desanto I see SVN catching him and then continuing to win the matchup.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
based on Seibrecht's early season results - "most pundents" have now moved this weight from Penn State's column over to a win for Iowa which would then give Iowa an edge in their "way too early" dual meet projections
125- Lee TF (0-5)
133- Young maj (4-5)
141- Woods Dec (4-8)
149- Murin Dec (4-11)
165- Kennedy Dec (4-17)
174- Starocci Dec (7-17)
184- BrookS Maj (11-17)
197- Dean Dec (14- 17)
Pretty sure that’s the first time I’ve ever seen anyone refer to RBY as “Young”.

I was trying to figure out how Kaleb Young was 1) still wrestling; 2) at 133; and 3) somehow going to beat RBY

Let's discuss:
I’m all for discussing it, but can it be done in an Iowa vs. Penn State thread? This is an Iowa vs. Penn thread, and we can probably predict there will be duplicative discussions going on when people don’t really think to follow this thread that isn’t about Penn State.

fc774d0af18d427d674a55639da13c8e.jpg

🙂

125- Lee TF (0-5)
133- Young maj (4-5)
141- Woods Dec (4-8)
149- Murin Dec (4-11)
165- Kennedy Dec (4-17)
174- Starocci Dec (7-17)
184- BrookS Maj (11-17)
197- Dean Dec (14- 17)
Who is young

Reactions: mcpat
Good telltale. If he is health I would think they send him out. It's one thing to annually finish 3rd to PSU and whichever program finishes second, but finishing second in Iowa would really hurt.
The Iowa wrestling program has released its probable lineup for Sunday's dual with Iowa State. While Spencer Lee still isn't listed, and it's once again Cullan Schriever in for Brody Teske, it appears as though Real Woods will be making his Hawkeye debut in Carver-Hawkeye Arena this weekend as he is listed for the first time all season.

This is what I'm hearing and it's in print.

125- Lee TF (0-5)
133- Young maj (4-5)
141- Woods Dec (4-8)
149- Murin Dec (4-11)
165- Kennedy Dec (4-17)
174- Starocci Dec (7-17)
184- BrookS Maj (11-17)
197- Dean Dec (14- 17)
So Iowa is going to sweep 141-165 at PSU? "most pundits" must translate to "most Iowa Homers"

Last edited:
The Iowa wrestling program has released its probable lineup for Sunday's dual with Iowa State. While Spencer Lee still isn't listed, and it's once again Cullan Schriever in for Brody Teske, it appears as though Real Woods will be making his Hawkeye debut in Carver-Hawkeye Arena this weekend as he is listed for the first time all season.

This is what I'm hearing and it's in print.
If it's in print it MUST be true

• Haha
Reactions: mcpat and hlstone
I said before, this dual might end up like 2019 Ohio State. Ohio State looks even on paper (split 5 matches with PSU) then PSU comes out and wins 133, 141. Wouldn't be shocked if PSU wins 141, 149. Iowa wrestlers there might be favorites on paper but let's not act like they're unbeatable juggernauts and we have nobody there. 157 is a tossup at best against either Levi or Claw.

I said before, this dual might end up like 2019 Ohio State. Ohio State looks even on paper (split 5 matches with PSU) then PSU comes out and wins 133, 141. Wouldn't be shocked if PSU wins 141, 149. Iowa wrestlers there might be favorites on paper but let's not act like they're unbeatable juggernauts and we have nobody there. 157 is a tossup at best against either Levi or Claw.
For anybody to just assume Iowa is winning 165 is a stretch also. A table run from 133 through HWT for PSU is much more likely to happen than an Iowa run from 141 thru 165.

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT