ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Nebraska

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
A few of the match-ups I'm looking forward to;

125 - #1 Spencer Lee vs #3 Liam Cronin
Could end up with a Cronin demolition, but I don't think so. Young Liam shares my wife's maiden name, so in some odd way I'm hoping he holds his own.

141 - #2 Real Woods vs #5 Brock Hardy
Hardy has looked great this season, so has Woods. Slight edge to Woods, but don't relax on Hardy.

157 - #21 Cobe Siebrecht vs #1 Peyton Robb
All Robb in this one, but Siebrecht will keep it close. Solely on memory, I don't believe Robb has a takedown in his last two bouts, though he won both.

174 - #16 Nelson Brands vs #2 Mikey Labriola
All Labriola.

Reactions: Creek Side
A few of the match-ups I'm looking forward to;

125 - #1 Spencer Lee vs #3 Liam Cronin
Could end up with a Cronin demolition, but I don't think so. Young Liam shares my wife's maiden name, so in some odd way I'm hoping he holds his own.

141 - #2 Real Woods vs #5 Brock Hardy
Hardy has looked great this season, so has Woods. Slight edge to Woods, but don't relax on Hardy.

157 - #21 Cobe Siebrecht vs #1 Peyton Robb
All Robb in this one, but Siebrecht will keep it close. Solely on memory, I don't believe Robb has a takedown in his last two bouts, though he won both.

174 - #16 Nelson Brands vs #2 Mikey Labriola
All Labriola.
125 - SL will dominate Cronin. 1st period TF. Would love to be wrong. 125 remains weak.

141 - Gimmee Hardy, winning with the gas tank as Woods tires in the third.

157 - Robb without much difficulty.

174 - Labriola should dominate but he can be inconsistent. We’ll see.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
125 - SL will dominate Cronin. 1st period TF. Would love to be wrong. 125 remains weak.

141 - Gimmee Hardy, winning with the gas tank as Woods tires in the third.

157 - Robb without much difficulty.

174 - Labriola should dominate but he can be inconsistent. We’ll see.
125- again the other kid came to wrestle and that’s what happens. Dancing with the appearance of offense and stalling on bottom is more/less your only option…. Picc loss the only exception to that rule

141- LOL. Hardy is a scrapper, liked his counters but your prediction is essentially the opposite of what happened.

157- Cobe is similar to an Austin Gomez type, not really Iowa style at all but he just pulls off crazy things. Robb methodical win and likely how you should go about things. Actually Robb another Nebraska guy I liked watching…

174- Wow are we boxing or wrestling? Seriously both guys going hard as hell the 1st period. Pretty much knew Nelson was going to lose… they’re on different levels. Labriola- I’ve always liked the kid and seems like he has great sportsmanship. I remember Tom and Terry sending out one of our undersized backups against him… Labriola tore the kid’s ACL and actually flagged the ref down to stop the match.

Supposedly Iowa never shook hands with Nebraska after the meet. And also now Brands announced that is their new policy. I have not confirmed, but if so that is bush league BS and bad sportsmanship. IMHO
Or just smart. Never understood the point of it for any sport.
Oh yeah:

He’s still a Hawk in my eyes…

It's called respect for your opponent. If you don't get that I feel sorry for you.
Literally shake hands after every match and we do it over again? Why? Also, no one is under any obligation to respect their opponent. As a coach, I would see it as an opportunity that literally does nothing for us and only has a downside.

Lots of teams (all but one?), are able to muster the strength to pull it off flawlessly.

I agree. The Ok St/Oklahoma handshake line gets pretty intense. There literally were punches thrown on at least 1 occasion very recently.

Reactions: slushhead
I agree. The Ok St/Oklahoma handshake line gets pretty intense. There literally were punches thrown on at least 1 occasion very recently.
robert-de-niro-you.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 7brwnpsu and jrod65
Literally shake hands after every match and we do it over again? Why? Also, no one is under any obligation to respect their opponent. As a coach, I would see it as an opportunity that literally does nothing for us and only has a downside.
Dino Ciccarelli was able to shake Claude The Fraud Lemieux's frickin' hand, even if it pissed him right off.

Supposedly Iowa never shook hands with Nebraska after the meet. And also now Brands announced that is their new policy. I have not confirmed, but if so that is bush league BS and bad sportsmanship. IMHO
Iowa hasn't shaken hands after the meet all season long, this wasn't something done or started specifically for Nebraska last night

Reactions: NCHawk55
So it means that they have been bad sports all year, not just as of January….
I'm not a fan of the policy.

Seems though like they stopped doing it to prevent any possible incidents from the handshake line, a la ISU last year. But now apparently an incident arises due to lack of handshake line. Can't please everybody I guess

I'm not a fan of the policy.

Seems though like they stopped doing it to prevent any possible incidents from the handshake line, a la ISU last year. But now apparently an incident arises due to lack of handshake line. Can't please everybody I guess
Actually you can, by controlling your athletes and teaching them sportsmanship, something almost all other teams manage to do…

Hey, I'm not a fan of the policy. Just getting the facts out there. This wasn't done as a slight specific to Nebraska
Despite you saying you are not a fan, your comment about can’t please everyone seems to show you support it, but it might be how I am reading your comments. Sorry if not as how you intended.

Despite you saying you are not a fan, your comment about can’t please everyone seems to show you support it, but it might be how I am reading your comments. Sorry if not as how you intended.
That part of my post was meant to be more tongue-in-cheek than anything

When Iowa fans were ordained as “what we can talk about on our forum” police.

But in actuality we are not the sportmanship police, but we are able to share our impressions of the policies. Kind of one of the reasons for forums…..
We get it. You hate Iowa and they are bad sports in your mind. Your team has won 9 out of the last 11 National titles. Isn’t that enough? Or does bashing Iowa non-stop make you feel better about yourself?

Normally, I just ignore and breeze on by everything you say, but for this, I simply have to ask... did other people see Hurts and the Eagles being this sharp tomight?
I expected a closer game. Can’t wait until the Cowboys beat the Niners tomorrow so they can come to Philly next week and end the Eagles season as well.

We get it. You hate Iowa and they are bad sports in your mind. Your team has won 9 out of the last 11 National titles. Isn’t that enough? Or does bashing Iowa non-stop make you feel better about yourself?
I think it has been a long day for you, JM. Not a problem, it happens to all of us. The next 10 days are only going to intensify, though. Have a beer, take a breath, and regroup for next week. We want you at your best.

Actually I do not hate Iowa, I do not like coaching decisions that foster bad sportsmanship, much different! I also do not bash Iowa non-stop, but had to post when I heard about this decision. A coaches job is to make an athlete both better at their sport and as a person, at least in my humble opinion.

Since my post I have only been responding to comments from people defending the coaches decision. And I actually respect you as a poster, but am somewhat baffled by your take on this situation.

And what slush said…

ADVERTISEMENT