ADVERTISEMENT

Is Common Sense Realism Making a Comeback?

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
Not for some......

Another great read.

https://chroniclesmagazine.org/web/is-common-sense-realism-making-a-comeback/

One of the largest political rallies ever held in the state of New Jersey took place in Wildwood on Saturday. Between 80,000 and 100,000 people are reported to have shown up for Donald Trump’s rally. Whatever one may think of Donald Trump, the sky-high attendance at his rally in this blue state enclave is a sure sign that average Americans are fed up with the Biden administration and with the Beltway Bolsheviks who advise and support him.

A week earlier, while attending a family reunion, two of my nephews—one in his mid-thirties, the other just over 40—stunned me with their vehement rejections of the Pro-Palestinian campus upheavals. Until then, I had assumed that they leaned to the political left. Perhaps they do, but what gladdened my heart was that both men possess the intellectual equipment necessary to take a hard look at a certain cause or situation, weigh what they see and hear, and change their minds.

Both the rally and my conversations with my nephews raised some questions. Corporate media, along with many of our so-called elites in academia and the culture, often brand supporters of Donald Trump and the political right generally as either Nazis or deluded populists and reactionaries, a “basket of deplorables” who will destroy American democracy if given the chance. But what if a greater force is in play with these voters? Putting aside all the loaded and often misleading political labels of our day—progressive, liberal, conservative—is it possible that voters are really just looking for some old-fashioned sound judgment from their leaders?

In his slim 2019 book, Reclaiming Common Sense: Finding Truth in a Post-Truth World, Robert Curry begins by pointing out that today’s “war on moral common sense has reached new heights of absurdity” and that “political correctness is quite simply a war on common sense.” To make his case, he gives a few examples, such as the insistence by academic elites and government officials that gender identity trumps biological reality. Most of us could easily cite other irrational theories and doctrines so prevalent these days, like the climate change agenda. The government which can’t manage a budget or forge a coherent foreign policy is going to take charge of the global climate? Common sense dictates otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News