ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time for PSU fans to admit that we're actually pretty good?

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
1) We are knocking on the door of a top 10 ranking with 2 winnable games remaining.

2) The only 2 losses are to undefeated #2 and undefeated #3.

3) 2 wins over 7-3 teams and 2 wins over 6-4 teams. Two of those 4 are leading a division of their conference and may play for their conference championship.

4) We seem to be getting better in spite of more injuries and more young players pressed into key roles.

5) Most 2 loss teams remaining have had weaker schedules to this point and some have games remaining that are likely losses.

Now I know we aren't a playoff team this year but we aren't that far off and we are a very young team and we seem to be improving each week.

Last edited:
1) We are knocking on the door of a top 10 ranking with 2 winnable games remaining.

3) 2 wins over 7-3 teams and 2 wins over 6-4 teams. Two of those 4 are leading the division of their conference and may play for their conference championship.

4) We seem to be getting better in spite of more injuries and more young players pressed into key roles.

5) Most 2 loss teams remaining have had weaker schedules to this point and some have some games remaining that are likely losses.

Now I know we aren't a playoff team this year but we aren't that far off and we are a very young team and we seem to be improving each week.
This team has always had the individual talent to be a 10+ win team. —This team reminds me of the 2016 team, and many of the Paterno led teams that started out sputtering and pedestrian, but mostly solid….. then they seemed to start to really gel about mid season or so , then start a steady and steep upward trajectory. —This is the most comfortable I have seen this defense play all year. The D has been mostly good, but now they’re smooth, explosive and seem to be playing without having to think. The young athletes on this team are starting to assimilate into the offense and defense much more smoothly, and it shows. —The future is bright

3) 2 wins over 7-3 teams and 2 wins over 6-4 teams. Two of those 4 are leading a division of their conference and may play for their conference championship.

5) Most 2 loss teams remaining have had weaker schedules to this point and some have games remaining that are likely losses.

I would rather be 2-10 for the year and beat OSU and SCUM in the same year.

1) We are knocking on the door of top 10 ranking with 2 winnable games remaining.

3) 2 wins over 7-3 teams and 2 wins over 6-4 teams. Two of those 4 are leading the division of their conference and may play for their conference championship.

5) Most 2 loss teams remaining have had weaker schedules to this point and some have some games remaining that are likely losses.

They certainly played well today. Better than most games this season. It was the most fire and intensity I’ve seen from them in a long time.

However, the fact remains they were blown out by the only 2 good teams on the schedule.

These are the teams they’ve played this year-

Purdue 6-4
Ohio- 7-3
Auburn- 3-6
Central Michigan- 4-6
Northwestern- 1-9
Michigan- 10-0
Minnesota- 7-3
Ohio State- 10-0
Indiana- 3-7
Maryland- 6-4

Rutgers- 4-6
Michigan State- 5-5

If you want to be excited about beating “two 7-3 teams and two 6-4 teams” that’s fine- but you’re literally bragging about wins over Purdue, Minnesota, Maryland, and Ohio.

Last edited:

I would rather be 2-10 for the year and beat OSU and SCUM in the same year.
Not me Losing attitude
They certainly played well today. Better than most games this season. It was the most fire and intensity I’ve seen from them in a long time.

However, the fact remains they were blown out by the only 2 good teams on the schedule.

Purdue 6-4
Ohio- 7-3
Auburn- 3-6
Central Michigan- 4-6
Northwestern- 1-9
Michigan- 10-0
Minnesota- 7-3
Ohio State- 10-0
Indiana- 3-7
Maryland- 6-4

Rutgers- 4-6
Michigan State- 5-5

If you want to be excited about beating “two 7-3 teams and two 6-4 teams” that’s fine- but you’re literally bragging about wins over Purdue, Minnesota, Maryland, and Ohio.
Who know what in your Wheaties? Everyone wants to best Michigan and OSU. But who else has beaten them this year. Instead of folding up after losing to them the team came out and kicked butt. You have to walk before you can run. They shut out a team that was averaging over 30 points per game without their best defensive back and one of their best linebackers. They also are playing lots of true freshmen including a left tackle. Some people will whine about a beatififul sunset

Purdue 6-4
Ohio- 7-3
Auburn- 3-6
Central Michigan- 4-6
Northwestern- 1-9
Michigan- 10-0
Minnesota- 7-3
Ohio State- 10-0
Indiana- 3-7
Maryland- 6-4

Rutgers- 4-6
Michigan State- 5-5

There aren't that many teams that are 4-2 or better against 6 teams with 6-4 or better records. There are just a handful that have played 2 undefeated teams.

I don’t know why you think Allar is an upgrade. He can’t run. He may have a better arm, but I haven’t seen it. He looks like Hackenberg.
Clifford runs what, maybe once or twice a game anymore? Not exactly a big weapon in his arsenal.

• I think we are definitely getting better.
  • I'm surprised how well the OL has played with backups.
  • Indiana is horrible so I don't take too much from that.
  • I have no idea what to think of Maryland. They played Michigan to the end but Wisconsin destroyed them last week and we did the same this week. What happened to them?
  • We should beat Rutgers. MSU might give us a game.
  • There are a lot of good 2-3 loss teams like Alabama, LSU, Utah, etc. Who knows if we're as good as them?

Is Lee still injured?

Allar didn't look good today but the play calling and 2nd team personnel didn't help.

Reactions: bison13 and psu00

Our best win is????
Using Purdue and Ohio as "leading their division or conference" is insincere.
We can be happy with the potential of going 10-2 without exaggerating.
Let's be honest--the team that wins the west only wins it because someone has to. Purdue/Minnesota/Iowa/Illinois

Reactions: psu00
Victorious over teams with a combined 37-42 record with Minnesota the best victory. Talk to me after the Bowl game.

Problem is with Franklin it is always what could have been. Should be a 1 loss team right in thick of playoff talk. Instead, staring at another Citrus Bowl and second Fiddle to the conference darlings.

Reactions: mnuccio2
Problem is with Franklin it is always what could have been. Should be a 1 loss team right in thick of playoff talk. Instead, staring at another Citrus Bowl and second Fiddle to the conference darlings.
No--we should be a 2 loss team right now--both losses were to better teams. It's impossible to complain about the record

Reactions: BucksLion52
There aren't that many teams that are 4-2 or better against 6 teams with 6-4 or better records. There are just a handful that have played 2 undefeated teams.
A 6-4 team is 1 game over .500. I don’t consider them big wins. Others may differ, and that’s fine.

My only take is if you’re bragging about wins over Purdue, Maryland, and Ohio, (the Bobcats,…. not the Buckeyes), that sort of speaks for itself.

The blunt reality is if they can’t find a way to beat Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan St then they are not in contention for a Big Ten title and, by default, not in contention for a playoff spot. It is what it is and the lopsided Big Ten divisions don’t help.

A 6-4 team is 1 game over .500. I don’t consider them big wins. Others may differ, and that’s fine.

My only take is if you’re bragging about wins over Purdue, Maryland, and Ohio, (the Bobcats,…. not the Buckeyes), that sort of speaks for itself.

The blunt reality is if they can’t find a way to beat Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan St then they are not in contention for a Big Ten title and, by default, not in contention for a playoff spot. It is what it is and the lopsided Big Ten divisions don’t help.
This is all true
If we win out I'm very content with this season especially with the way we've won most games (other than Purdue smh) and about the glimpses of the future we've seen
But everyone needs to stop pretending Purdue, Minnesota, Ohio and Maryland are "impressive wins'. We won't beat a ranked team this year.

Reactions: psu00
How should we be a 1 loss team?

Pretty Good? That's not good enough. We are Penn State dammit!

giphy.gif

Not me Losing attitude

Who know what in your Wheaties? Everyone wants to best Michigan and OSU. But who else has beaten them this year. Instead of folding up after losing to them the team came out and kicked butt. You have to walk before you can run. They shut out a team that was averaging over 30 points per game without their best defensive back and one of their best linebackers. They also are playing lots of true freshmen including a left tackle. Some people will whine about a beatififul sunset
See what I said above about the game today. It was their most complete game in a while (IMO) and I have no problem giving them credit for that. They played well today with more fire and intensity.

That said, you have to be honest that it was against a 6-4 team when the original post suggestion is that this shows they are close to a playoff team.

The reality is that the way the Big Ten is set up, until they beat out Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan St (at least 2 of them) most years their chances of being a playoff team are slim at best.

Last edited:
Victorious over teams with a combined 37-42 record with Minnesota the best victory. Talk to me after the Bowl game.
That means you are excluding the 20-0 on the record as 2 teams are undefeated. So is the full record of our schedule not 57-42? Aren't 2 of those wins and 8 of those losses due to games against PSU?

The record of the teams that PSU has played in games against other teams (not PSU) is 55-34.

This is all true
If we win out I'm very content with this season especially with the way we've won most games (other than Purdue smh) and about the glimpses of the future we've seen
But everyone needs to stop pretending Purdue, Minnesota, Ohio and Maryland are "impressive wins'. We won't beat a ranked team this year.
Minnesota will be ranked next week.

Reactions: Online Persona
That means you are excluding the 20-0 on the record as 2 teams are undefeated. So is the full record of our schedule not 57-42? Aren't 2 of those wins and 8 of those losses due to games against PSU.

The record of the teams that PSU has played in games against other teams (not PSU) is 55-34.
Yes. If we, for example, had lost to Minnesota then they’d be 8-2 and “proof” that we can’t beat good teams.

Minnesota will be ranked next week.
Based on what? In what poll? The had no votes in the AP and 4 votes in the Coaches. How does beating a 1-9 Northwestern get them ranked?

We still beat them without Morgan which makes that win even less impressive than it already is

That means you are excluding the 20-0 on the record as 2 teams are undefeated. So is the full record of our schedule not 57-42? Aren't 2 of those wins and 8 of those losses due to games against PSU?

He said, the teams we beat.
I'm not mad about the losses but why are you trying to pretend we have any big wins? We don't. You know it. I know it. We all know it.

Reactions: manilion and Ian
I like watching this years team play. Those DBs are electric. I think the staff is setting the offensive play calling to suit Allar's and our RBs strengths. Oh ya, and our new #11 is having a blast out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT