ADVERTISEMENT

Is Porter an all-time PSU CB and how good is our secondary?

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
Is Joey Porter, Jr., an all-time PSU CB and is our secondary the best we've had since 2005? The '86 group with Cobbs and Isom, etc.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Is Joey Porter, Jr., an all-time PSU CB and is our secondary the best we've had since 2005? The '86 group with Cobbs and Isom, etc.
Its a good secondary. Not great. Great, doesn't allow 26 for 33 and 300 plus yards to anyone, not even Ohio State.

Reactions: shifix
I believe taking the best from the past two years, to include Brisker with the 2022 unit, would yield the best collection of DB's in PSU history.

But as the oh-high-ya game showed, even the best secondary can get beat by the best receivers and an oline that can give a great QB time against what against average teams is a very good pass rush.

Its a good secondary. Not great. Great, doesn't allow 26 for 33 and 300 plus yards to anyone, not even Ohio State.

How many great secondarys will you find over a 5 year period using those numbers as a baseline?

NW held them to 76 yards passing. Are they a great secondary?

I don't think he's been used perfectly for his skills, but JPJ is am excellent CB.

Reactions: bison13
How many great secondarys will you find over a 5 year period using those numbers as a baseline?

I don't think he's been used perfectly for his skills, but JPJ is am excellent CB.
Porter is a very, very good corner. That was not the question. The question was how good the psu secondary is overall. The answer is, good. Not great.

Is Porter the best? That is a good question. If this the best since 05. No. 14 and 15 were both better and 14 was the best secondary we have had during the Big Ten era by a decent margin. 05 is number 2.

I think it's interesting how different coaches recruit.

Paterno recruited great LBs and good linemen but the secondary was generally a weak spot. Franklin recruits a lot of "athletes" like DBs but not as well at LB and linemen.

Porter is a very, very good corner. That was not the question. The question was how good the psu secondary is overall. The answer is, good. Not great.
You have to keep in mind that PSU's strategy is to attack the LOS and leave our secondary in man coverage.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
I think it's interesting how different coaches recruit.

Paterno recruited great LBs and good linemen but the secondary was generally a weak spot. Franklin recruits a lot of "athletes" like DBs but not as well at LB and linemen.
Micah Parsons and Abdul Carter can compare with any PSU Linebackers in our memory so I'm not sure a blanket statement holds up. Depth at LB has been an issue and to watch a prospect like Brandon Smith fail to develop makes one wonder about recent defensive coaching.

To look ahead, PSU targeted and got their two top LB prospects in the Class of 2023 Ta'Mere Robinson and Tony Rojas, plus Manny Diaz is doing a good job with the defense. So we'll see how it goes the next couple years.

Reactions: 81b&w
Micah Parsons and Abdul Carter can compare with any PSU Linebackers in our memory so I'm not sure a blanket statement holds up. Depth at LB has been an issue and to watch a prospect like Brandon Smith fail to develop makes one wonder about recent defensive coaching.

To look ahead, PSU targeted and got their two top LB prospects in the Class of 2023 Ta'Mere Robinson and Tony Rojas, plus Manny Diaz is doing a good job with the defense. So we'll see how it goes the next couple years.
I'm glad we got Parsons but he would have wound up at OSU if not for a recruiting violation.

Carter looks great for a freshman but it's way too early to rank him along side of guys like Poz, Lee, Connor, & Conlan.

We'll see how well the freshmen do next year.

Reactions: MacNit07
Carter has looked better as a Freshman than Parson did.
He's been very impressive for a true freshman.

My point is that LB recruiting has been a weak in general. I think DB recruiting has been better than what we traditionally got but LB recruiting has been worse. That doesn't mean we haven't had a few stars like Parsons & Carter. It's just that overall it's been weak. Let's hope the two 4* kids we got for 2023 can make a quick impact.

2022 Carter 4*, Wilie 3*
2021 Buddin & King high 3*/low4*
2020 Jacobs high 4*, Elsdon 3*

Isom was a safety.
In my lifetime the two best corners to ever play at Penn State were Alan Zemaitis and David Macklin. I would put Paul Lankford, Shelly Hammonds, Justin King, Amani O and Duffy Cobb in the next group down.
The best defensive back to ever play for PSU in my lifetime was Kim Herring, bar none...Mark Robinson was before my time.
Joey Porter would certainly fit into those groups. People use to complain he had to many DPI's but that was because he covered people so tight not because he was getting beat.

He's been very impressive for a true freshman.

My point is that LB recruiting has been a weak in general. I think DB recruiting has been better than what we traditionally got but LB recruiting has been worse. That doesn't mean we haven't had a few stars like Parsons & Carter. It's just that overall it's been weak. Let's hope the two 4* kids we got for 2023 can make a quick impact.

2022 Carter 4*, Wilie 3*
2021 Buddin & King high 3*/low4*
2020 Jacobs high 4*, Elsdon 3*
From watching I think Carter, Jacobs and King could be All Big Ten Linebackers at some point in there time at PSU, but LB recruiting has been a little weak.

From watching I think Carter, Jacobs and King could be All Big Ten Linebackers at some point in there time at PSU, but LB recruiting has been a little weak.
I think you're taking quite a leap of faith on King. He might turn out great but we haven't seen enough to get too excited. One key for PSU is for Jacobs to return. If he does PSU should be much improved at LB next year with the 3 you mentioned, Elsdon, and the 2 freshmen.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Hope your right. The linebackers have underperformed the last few years. It would be nice to get back to great LB play.

Brandon Smith, he really should’ve stayed 1 more year and played under Diaz, probably would’ve improved his draft stock immensely

Reactions: 81b&w and john4psu
Isom was a safety.
In my lifetime the two best corners to ever play at Penn State were Alan Zemaitis and David Macklin. I would put Paul Lankford, Shelly Hammonds, Justin King, Amani O and Duffy Cobb in the next group down.
The best defensive back to ever play for PSU in my lifetime was Kim Herring, bar none...Mark Robinson was before my time.
Joey Porter would certainly fit into those groups. People use to complain he had to many DPI's but that was because he covered people so tight not because he was getting beat.
throw Brian Miller in there too

Reactions: lowhandicapper

To be fair the NW game was played in literally tropical storm conditions.

Reactions: lazydave841
ADVERTISEMENT