ADVERTISEMENT

IT’s IOWA WEEK!! 2023 Edition

slushhead

Mar 10, 2014
Almoat 12 years ago, something magical happened . . .

109369116-HM-046.jpg

. . . and a Giant Was Awoken, an intense Rivalry born.

There was a Gorilla Hulk, a Unicorn, a Q and, of course, The Truth. Supported by a Mega and some Hulk Hands, a Dynasty was in the making.

The Rival claimed it was a flash in the pan, that We would fall back to the pack. But Three Nasties were on the way. And The Coach said, “Let there be PAIN.”

654648958.jpg.jpg

The Team went on a tear and caused much despair, as its Rival looked helplessly on. It had no answer.

636205526434587183-IOW-0120-Iowa-vs-PSU-wrestling-12.jpg

Meatball was Trippin’, The Wolf and Raptor were Feastin’, Wreck Hall was Rockin’ . . . and more Championships came.

The Rival once again claimed it would all come crashing down. The Bonus Machine would graduate, making It their time to shine.

But Toes would be Tweaked.

bddzzhu4e89q7wiglpmm

Riddles would be Solved.

6056b2c692c3a.png

A Star would be Born.

63c0a639d39b8.image.jpg

And a Spotlight Stolen.

_SR52403.jpg

Flustered, the Rival could only utter, “No mas! No mas!”

usa_today_13981933.jpg

As we begin IOWA WEEK 2023, take a moment to remember all the joy the PENN STATE program has brought to its hungry fans, all the thrills of a heated Rivalry . . . and that We continue to Reload.

The Beatings Shall Continue Until Morale Improves.
012822_iowapennstwrestling_JR076-900x600.jpg

We Are . . . Nittany Nation! 😉

Great pixs! Exciting week. Iowa has a very tough team - their results prove that. Should be a fun match. Certainly not an easy prediction (match by match) when these two get together. Based on history it should be fun. Of course I would like to see and predict those close matches going to PSU... Have to remember that Iowa has a solid base D on their feet and is one reason they don't give up many MDs

And in keeping our good friend @dunkej01 in our thoughts, a reissue of his all-timer call to arms for Iowa Week 2022:

Its Iowa week...A week that lives long in the lives of intranet warriors. A week that has sent many a good poster to intranet Valhalla. A memorial service for those who have given the ultimate anonymous poster sacrifice will be taking place at the Shrine at midnight on Thursday. A 21 gun salute will be held following the playing of select Green Day songs.

We do battle year round but it is this week in particular when all measures and counter measures must be taken. The enemy has seen its numbers dwindle. The enemy has seen its post views crater. But yet our enemy remains cagey and ever willing to bite and claw their way to victory.

So far we have secretly enlisted the help a poster only known to us as Z and he has taken the first arrows from the rebels. It was a surprise offensive, making many of the rebels harden their already ridged defenses. It was this surprise offensive that we must use to our advantage, as it will only be there this week and then gone into the wind, like sands through an hour glass. These are the days of our lives.

Our black ops team lead by JTS are deployed but awaiting further orders. I use JTS as an alias to protect the innocents from reprisal.

Secret cables have been sent to our friends over at OnA4s and a very select few will be joining our leadership team. Its also been confirmed that those at 247 will be once again protecting our rear.

It is hour 1 of day 1 of our offensive .....

Please use your office time wisely and your refresh button sparingly. Its going to be a F** week.....

While our plant known as “Z” may now be MIA, the battle continues on.

109369116-HM-046.jpg

There was a Gorilla Hulk, a Unicorn, a Q and, of course, The Truth. Supported by a Mega and some Hulk Hands, a Dynasty was in the making.

The Rival claimed it was a flash in the pan, that We would fall back to the pack. But Three Nasties were on the way. And The Coach said, “Let there be PAIN.”

654648958.jpg.jpg

The Team went on a tear and caused much despair, as its Rival looked helplessly on. It had no answer.

Meatball was Trippin’, The Wolf and Raptor were Feastin’, Wreck Hall was Rockin’ . . . and more Championships came.

The Rival once again claimed it would all come crashing down. The Bonus Machine would graduate, making It their time to shine.

bddzzhu4e89q7wiglpmm

Riddles would be Solved.

6056b2c692c3a.png

A Star would be Born.

63c0a639d39b8.image.jpg

And a Spotlight Stolen.

_SR52403.jpg

usa_today_13981933.jpg

As we begin IOWA WEEK 2023, take a moment to remember all the joy the PENN STATE program has brought to its hungry fans, all the thrills of a heated Rivalry . . . and that We continue to Reload.

One like for that post isn’t nearly enough ….well done !

Reactions: slushhead
Ticket prices have actually dropped, at least for upper level. Someone called to see if I could get more tickets so I checked, they were as low as $43 plus fees, and not just singles. Lower level can be found as low as $75 while some very expensive.

Sorry to distract from the awesome writing above, I just did not want to start a new thread.

Man, this is like the week leading up to Christmas morning! It’ll be hard to sleep, but this is typically the most fun dual of the year! This year, I’m afraid it’ll lose some of its luster because Iowa’s having a rebuilding year (how lucky are we as PSU and Iowa fans that a “down year” is still likely a trophy team?). But I had fun looking at the match-ups for the Michigan meet, so I thought I’d give it another stab.

At 125, Gary just needs to go out and try not to get killed. It was great seeing him pick up a good win yesterday over Lujan, but Spencer is in another stratosphere. If Gary can keep it to anything less than 6, that’d be a win. I’m not optimistic about his chances. 6-0 Iowa

RBY will cut back into that lead and I think we’ll get a glimpse of why Teske thought it necessary to head to UNI from PSU. RBY has proven to be on another level, and I think he’ll get up for this one. I’d predict a major here for the good guys. 6-4 Iowa

141 will be a fun match. While I don’t think Beau has quite caught up to Real, I’ve seen severe gas tank issues with Woods in his matches this year. He’ll go up big in the 1st and 2nd, and then die in the 3rd. This could create a scenario where Beau is able to keep it close in the first 2 period and steal one at the end. I think Woods wins this one, but it should be a good one to watch! 9-4 Iowa

At 149 SVN has really impressed me this year. He’s scoring a lot of points and seems to be developing that killer instinct. Outside of the Gomez match, he has shown he can hang with anyone. Murin is a tough out though. He has a “bad loss” to Manzona Bryant, but that one isn’t too bad. SVN picked up a fall against Bryant, so that’s really their biggest difference this year. I’ll give the edge to SVN because he’s wrestling great right now and it is at home. 9-7 Iowa

157 will have all of us on the edge of our seat to see who we send out. I think it’ll be Levi, and what better way to officially have your shirt pulled than in the BJC against Iowa!? Should be a fun match with Siebrecht, as Cobe has some good scramble abilities with his funk. Levi seems to be country strong though, and can finish shots even when he doesn’t get in cleanly. Levi puts us up 10-9 going into the break.

The matchup between Facundo and Kennedy is another one that should be fun to watch. Alex had a great match against Fish the other day, but his hesitancy may end up costing him. I’d love to see him open up more, as he typically finishes when he pulls the trigger. His defense is great, but I think PK is able to break through in the 3rd and win a tight 3-1 decision. I think the outcome will flip later in the year. 12-10 Iowa

Once again, we’re looking at a “scare” going into our Murderer’s Row. At 174, Starocci continues his tear through this division. I love how “mean” he wrestles. Always has a chip on his shoulder and just looks like his opponents are wrestling in slow motion against him. Brands is really tough to bonus, so I think it’s kept to a decision, but it won’t be close. 13-12 PSU

Brooks will be back in the line-up and will show that there’s levels to this game. Unfortunately for Iowa, Abe Assad isn’t on the same level. While Abe may make a run for R12 or even AA, he isn’t the same caliber as AB, and Brooks will be looking for bonus. We can throw Assad’s result with Dow out this weekend, but it makes one question his in match thought process, going upper body with a Greco guy. Because of that, I feel he will likely play into Brooks’ strengths and we pick up a major. 17-12 PSU

Dean looks like he may be getting his old form back. After a couple of questionable matches this year, he had a really nice weekend, knocking off Caffey to avenge one of his losses from last year. He wrestled a very controlled match picked up a solid 4-0 victory that wasn’t nearly as close as it looked. If it wasn’t for Caffey’s freakish ability to defend single leg shots, the score would have been much wider. Warner, on the other hand, does not look like he is in the same form as he was last year. He’s still winning more often than not, but some of those close calls aren’t going his way this year. I think Dean wins another low scoring bout. 20-12 PSU

Time for the big boys! Kerk did not look all that great against Parris, but there’s been all kinds of rumors floating about sickness. I don’t know about all of that, but I look for him to bounce back to form this week. He will need to limit the mental mistakes at the end of the period that we’ve seen the last 2 years, but if he can do that, I think he will pull off the win against Big Tony. If he lets his guard down and gives up a takedown, reversal, or escape with under :15 on the clock, I think that result changes. The great thing is it won’t matter. We’ll have the match sealed by then! 23-12 PSU

109369116-HM-046.jpg

654648958.jpg.jpg

bddzzhu4e89q7wiglpmm

Riddles would be Solved.

6056b2c692c3a.png

A Star would be Born.

63c0a639d39b8.image.jpg

And a Spotlight Stolen.

_SR52403.jpg

usa_today_13981933.jpg

Great work!

Man, this is like the week leading up to Christmas morning! It’ll be hard to sleep, but this is typically the most fun dual of the year! This year, I’m afraid it’ll lose some of its luster because Iowa’s having a rebuilding year (how lucky are we as PSU and Iowa fans that a “down year” is still likely a trophy team?). But I had fun looking at the match-ups for the Michigan meet, so I thought I’d give it another stab.

At 125, Gary just needs to go out and try not to get killed. It was great seeing him pick up a good win yesterday over Lujan, but Spencer is in another stratosphere. If Gary can keep it to anything less than 6, that’d be a win. I’m not optimistic about his chances. 6-0 Iowa

RBY will cut back into that lead and I think we’ll get a glimpse of why Teske thought it necessary to head to UNI from PSU. RBY has proven to be on another level, and I think he’ll get up for this one. I’d predict a major here for the good guys. 6-4 Iowa

141 will be a fun match. While I don’t think Beau has quite caught up to Real, I’ve seen severe gas tank issues with Woods in his matches this year. He’ll go up big in the 1st and 2nd, and then die in the 3rd. This could create a scenario where Beau is able to keep it close in the first 2 period and steal one at the end. I think Woods wins this one, but it should be a good one to watch! 9-4 Iowa

At 149 SVN has really impressed me this year. He’s scoring a lot of points and seems to be developing that killer instinct. Outside of the Gomez match, he has shown he can hang with anyone. Murin is a tough out though. He has a “bad loss” to Manzona Bryant, but that one isn’t too bad. SVN picked up a fall against Bryant, so that’s really their biggest difference this year. I’ll give the edge to SVN because he’s wrestling great right now and it is at home. 9-7 Iowa

157 will have all of us on the edge of our seat to see who we send out. I think it’ll be Levi, and what better way to officially have your shirt pulled than in the BJC against Iowa!? Should be a fun match with Siebrecht, as Cobe has some good scramble abilities with his funk. Levi seems to be country strong though, and can finish shots even when he doesn’t get in cleanly. Levi puts us up 10-9 going into the break.

The matchup between Facundo and Kennedy is another one that should be fun to watch. Alex had a great match against Fish the other day, but his hesitancy may end up costing him. I’d love to see him open up more, as he typically finishes when he pulls the trigger. His defense is great, but I think PK is able to break through in the 3rd and win a tight 3-1 decision. I think the outcome will flip later in the year. 12-10 Iowa

Once again, we’re looking at a “scare” going into our Murderer’s Row. At 174, Starocci continues his tear through this division. I love how “mean” he wrestles. Always has a chip on his shoulder and just looks like his opponents are wrestling in slow motion against him. Brands is really tough to bonus, so I think it’s kept to a decision, but it won’t be close. 13-12 PSU

Brooks will be back in the line-up and will show that there’s levels to this game. Unfortunately for Iowa, Abe Assad isn’t on the same level. While Abe may make a run for R12 or even AA, he isn’t the same caliber as AB, and Brooks will be looking for bonus. We can throw Assad’s result with Dow out this weekend, but it makes one question his in match thought process, going upper body with a Greco guy. Because of that, I feel he will likely play into Brooks’ strengths and we pick up a major. 17-12 PSU

Dean looks like he may be getting his old form back. After a couple of questionable matches this year, he had a really nice weekend, knocking off Caffey to avenge one of his losses from last year. He wrestled a very controlled match picked up a solid 4-0 victory that wasn’t nearly as close as it looked. If it wasn’t for Caffey’s freakish ability to defend single leg shots, the score would have been much wider. Warner, on the other hand, does not look like he is in the same form as he was last year. He’s still winning more often than not, but some of those close calls aren’t going his way this year. I think Dean wins another low scoring bout. 20-12 PSU

Time for the big boys! Kerk did not look all that great against Parris, but there’s been all kinds of rumors floating about sickness. I don’t know about all of that, but I look for him to bounce back to form this week. He will need to limit the mental mistakes at the end of the period that we’ve seen the last 2 years, but if he can do that, I think he will pull off the win against Big Tony. If he lets his guard down and gives up a takedown, reversal, or escape with under :15 on the clock, I think that result changes. The great thing is it won’t matter. We’ll have the match sealed by then! 23-12 PSU
Who goes or doesn’t go if it’s already locked up?

109369116-HM-046.jpg

654648958.jpg.jpg

bddzzhu4e89q7wiglpmm

Riddles would be Solved.

6056b2c692c3a.png

A Star would be Born.

63c0a639d39b8.image.jpg

And a Spotlight Stolen.

_SR52403.jpg

usa_today_13981933.jpg

Exactly. Notice how the Squackeyes are invoking their worn out mantra that PSU's latest group of young guns will go 0 for 4 at 41 through 65? Remember when the Squackeyes all "laughed" at Cael's 2009 seminal PSU Press Conference when he asserted that he left his Alma Mater, Iowa State, to come to PSU, and Pennsylvania, because it offered him something that just wasn't available to him at ISU.... - the chance to build an unassailable Dynasty given the strength of wrestling in Pennsylvania that he would be smack-dab in the heart of..... Gee, the squackeye loudmouths aren't laughing so hard anymore, are they?

Great pixs! Exciting week. Iowa has a very tough team - their results prove that. Should be a fun match. Certainly not an easy prediction (match by match) when these two get together. Based on history it should be fun. Of course I would like to see and predict those close matches going to PSU... Have to remember that Iowa has a solid base D on their feet and is one reason they don't give up many MDs

Gee, I wonder why PSU handled Wisconsin so much easier than the squackeyes did? Things that make you go hhhhhhmmmmmm.........? 🤔

Aaah what an awesome weekend leading into Iowa week. The team is primed and ready to go.

Now on to a week chock full of predictions, prognostications, white board wars, thread lunacy, and a few precious hyperbolic gems that may live on for eternity from Ironbird.

The one thing I can tell you is It boys in blue and white have never entered the top dual of the year with an outside chance of 9 of 10. Will it happen? Very unlikely, but if it did, it won't be because of a Cinderella, out if left feild, 'fluke'.

Our young four horsemen of the appolcalipse have added a level of intrigue, anticipation and enjoyment to the program, that is hard to equal. Each week they get better, which is a scary thing for any bird to fathom. Our 5 killer vets are the cake and the 4 the icing. Steen with that gutsy performance Sunday, at little bit if sprinkles on top.

KYPSW should deliver some separation this week with bonus hard to come by and pundits picking from 6-9 PSU victories.

Even if we were to under perform, the level of confidence for this team that I possess, mirrors 2017/18/19. The house that Cael has built is strong indeed. Now on to some tennis shoe twisting mayhem. Friday should prove a classic.

Reactions: danoftw
Any of you Board-Posters attending the pre-match PSU Wrestler’s reunion? If so see you there.
——————
INFO- the Varsity S Wrestling Alumni Pre-Match Social.
This will be held in the Recruiting Lounge at Beaver Stadium from 6:00-8:00 p.m. Please use the All-Sports Museum entrance.

Check-in will be at the All-Sports Museum Lobby. You and your preregistered guests will be provided nametags. Please note that only guests who are preregistered can attend.

Last edited:
Reactions: papa_ed and hlstone

People keep saying Kirk didn't look good Friday night - personally, I think this is an exaggeration, Parris did not dominate Kirk. Kirk had the far better 1st Period - didn't finish but he got in deep on Parris' legs multiple times (had this been a Freestyle match Kirk is almost certainly leading after the 1st Period as he dominated the "real" Offensive Attacks and Parris was clearly the party that would have been put on the clock). IMHO, the #1 reason he lost, was that he ran out of gas and got desperate because he knew he needed to score because he would lose in SV. Why he ran out of gas? - I have no idea, won't speculate, but again he did not look all that bad from a purely wrestling standpoint. It's not like undefeated #2 Parris (who dominated Cass in the Iowa-scUM match - a diametric reversal from last year) is chopped-liver or something.

People keep saying Kirk didn't look good Friday night - personally, I think this is an exaggeration, Parris did not dominate Kirk. Kirk had the far better 1st Period - didn't finish but he got in deep on Parris' legs multiple times (had this been a Freestyle match Kirk is almost certainly leading after the 1st Period as he dominated the "real" Offensive Attacks and Parris was clearly the party that would have been put on the clock). IMHO, the #1 reason he lost, was that he ran out of gas and got desperate because he knew he needed to score because he would lose in SV. Why he ran out of gas? - I have no idea, won't speculate, but again he did not look all that bad from a purely wrestling standpoint. It's not like undefeated #2 Parris (who dominated Cass in the Iowa-scUM match - a diametric reversal from last year) is chopped-liver or something.
The problem with the outcome was that it was folkstyle and not freestyle. He certainly WAS the aggressor, but if you can't finish, it doesn't matter. And staying underneath a massive human like Parris is likely the reason he ran out of gas in the third. I don't know that it will be the same outcome next time, but we can't sit around and say it wasn't a great performance because Parris would have been on the clock in freestyle. Parris outwrestled Kerk this go around.

The problem with the outcome was that it was folkstyle and not freestyle. He certainly WAS the aggressor, but if you can't finish, it doesn't matter. And staying underneath a massive human like Parris is likely the reason he ran out of gas in the third. I don't know that it will be the same outcome next time, but we can't sit around and say it wasn't a great performance because Parris would have been on the clock in freestyle. Parris outwrestled Kerk this go around.
And just to be clear, Kerk is massive too, he actually weighed in 0.2 lbs heavier than Parris that night. I am not taking away from your point, just clarifying.

Never said it was a "great performance" or many of the other statements you're attempting to attribute to me regarding the outcome. The only thing I said was that Kirk did not look terrible from a purely wrestling standpoint (as some have said) - he didn't get the outcome he was looking for, but he was not dominated by Parris (undefeated and #2 in nation) - not even close. He lost a very tight match in the 3rd period which was determined by a very poor shot on Kirk's part which imho looked like a "being gassed" induced desperation shot in an attempt to score in regulation because he could feel that he was low on energy and would lose in SV.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzarkLion
This year, I’m afraid it’ll lose some of its luster because Iowa’s having a rebuilding year (how lucky are we as PSU and Iowa fans that a “down year” is still likely a trophy team?).
Iowa, in a rebuilding year? Prey tell?

They are #2 in the country by a good margin, are full of veterans, plus their GOAT, and brought in a likely finalist via transfer.

One could argue that after losing a national champion and starting 4 freshmen (& 3 Sophomores) we are in a rebuilding year my friend. ;-)

Last edited:
Cael said just a couple of adjustments and Kerk will be ok. I agree. I think people are referring to the fact that in their last match, Kerk seemed to be able to take Parris down with relative ease. This time he got in deep but didn’t finish. This was before he tired in the third, so it’s a valid point. Parris is very tough, of course.

Never said it was a "great performance" or many of the other statements you're attempting to attribute to me regarding the outcome. The only thing I said was that Kirk did not look terrible from a purely wrestling standpoint (as some have said) - he didn't get the outcome he was looking for, but he was not dominated by Parris (undefeated and #2 in nation) - not even close. He lost a very tight match in the 3rd period which was determined by a very poor shot on Kirk's part which imho looked like a "being gassed" induced desperation shot in an attempt to score in regulation because he could feel that he was low on energy and would lose in SV.
I find myself agreeing with CJF.

giphy.gif

Reactions: nitlion6
He didn't have arm control this go round. Expect more next time.

He didn't have arm control this go round. Expect more next time.
Can I for one log a complaint about the avatar changes? I just cannot read a @PD4thespawn post with a Jed Clampett pic, it is unnatural. Next thing you know dogs and cats will be sleeping together, Jmad will start getting testy over handshakes, or @82bordeaux will be agreeing with a particular poster...

Last edited:
Cael said just a couple of adjustments and Kerk will be ok. I agree. I think people are referring to the fact that in their last match, Kerk seemed to be able to take Parris down with relative ease. This time he got in deep but didn’t finish. This was before he tired in the third, so it’s a valid point. Parris is very tough, of course.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Parris - he wrestled a great match and has closed the gap on Kirk imho (and I said this same thing real-time in the PSU-scUM Match Thread) - IOW, the onus to make "adjustments" is now on Kirk. But Kirk did not look awful... or bad.... out of form.... etc... against Parris. Nor did he get dominated by Parris - he lost a very tight match in the third period after taking a really questionable shot while beginning to feel his energy level start to flash warning signs.

Jed Clampett
Can I for one log a complaint about the avatar changes? I just cannot read a @PD4thespawn post with a Jed Clampett pic, it is unnatural. Next thing you know dogs and cats will be sleeping together, Jmad will start getting testy over handshakes, or @82bordeaux will be agreeing with a particular poster...
Jed Clamplett?? Supposed to be Raymond Bailey...

...My bride and I will be attending the Varsity S social before the match and looking forward to visiting with many long- time friends , a few of whom go back almost 70 years!...
...does anyone think Brands might go for broke and wrestle Lee up at 133 to attempt to get wins at the first 2 weights?...hmmm...🤷🏽‍♂️

...My bride and I will be attending the Varsity S social before the match and looking forward to visiting with many long- time friends , a few of whom go back almost 70 years!...
...does anyone think Brands might go for broke and wrestle Lee up at 133 to attempt to get wins at the first 2 weights?...hmmm...🤷🏽‍♂️
If he did that he supposedly would have to burn Drake's redshirt for the match.

Iowa, in a rebuilding year? Prey tell?

They are #2 in the country by a good margin, are full of veterans, and brought in a likely finalist via transfer.

One could argue that after losing a national champion and starting 4 freshmen (& 3 Sophomores) we are in a rebuilding year my friend. ;-)
This reminds me of my head coach when I came back to help out with the team. The one year he said was a rebuild and I said we better win something this year because if this years a rebuild the next two look real bad. Needless to say it’s going on year 3 of “rebuild” 😳 Iowa won’t have another Spencer for 25 years nor will any team probably. He’s kept them relevant and in the hunt when they’d be an afterthought with out…. this is the best team they’ll have for awhile.

109369116-HM-046.jpg

654648958.jpg.jpg

bddzzhu4e89q7wiglpmm

Riddles would be Solved.

6056b2c692c3a.png

A Star would be Born.

63c0a639d39b8.image.jpg

And a Spotlight Stolen.

_SR52403.jpg

usa_today_13981933.jpg

Straight fire bro…great job! 🔥🔥🔥

Reactions: slushhead
This reminds me of my head coach when I came back to help out with the team. The one year he said was a rebuild and I said we better win something this year because if this years a rebuild the next two look real bad. Needless to say it’s going on year 3 of “rebuild” 😳 Iowa won’t have another Spencer for 25 years nor will any team probably. He’s kept them relevant and in the hunt when they’d be an afterthought with out…. this is the best team they’ll have for awhile.
So since Iowa will be irrelevant, who do we start talking about now?

So since Iowa will be irrelevant, who do we start talking about now?
It will still be Iowa. If you guys fell out of the top 10 the making fun of would be priceless. HR would still have their annual April championship presentation of the next year's team scoring 150 plus points with 5 champs and 10 AAs.

Last edited:
It will still ne Iowa. If you guys fell out of the top 10 the making fun of woukd be priceless. HR would still have their annual April championship presentation of the nrxt year's team scoring 150 plus points with 5 champs and 10 AAs.
Ok. Just making sure. Sounds fun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT